Meet the new CEO of NPR

1,612 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Cal88
Zippergate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Truly a media CEO for our time.

NPR Editor Suspended as CEO's Progressive Tweets Exposed

"NPR Chief Executive Officer Katherine Maher is under fire for resurfaced social media posts she made that targeted former President Donald Trump and for speaking out for liberal causes years before she was brought in for the organization's top spot in January.
Senior NPR Business Editor Uri Berliner, whose April 9 essay published by The Free Press, criticized the network for losing the nation's trust with its "progressive worldview," was suspended Friday by NPR.
In the column, Berliner wrote that "people at every level of NPR have comfortably coalesced around the progressive worldview."
In the wake of Berliner's column, The New York Times published a revelations about Maher's controversial posts.
In one of the now-deleted posts from 2018, when X was still Twitter, Maher wrote: "Also, Donald Trump is a racist," and in another tweet, in November 2020, she was shown wearing a hat with the logo for Joe Biden's presidential campaign.
She was also quoted as posting that she "had a dream where Kamala and I were on a road trip in an unspecified location, sampling and comparing nuts and baklava from roadside stands," apparently referring to Vice President Kamala Harris. "Woke up very hungry," she added.
Maher Monday praised NPR's journalists, stating that "everyone is entitled to free speech as a private citizen" and said that the organization is "independent, beholden to no party, and without commercial interests."
NPR reported early Tuesday that Berliner was suspended for five days without pay, beginning last Friday, after publishing the controversial article, which has led NPR to announce monthly internal reviews and gave ammunition to NPR's critics, including Trump.
While suspending Berliner, the organization told him he did not secure NPR's approval for outside work and said in a letter that the suspension was his "final warning" and that he would be fired if he violated the company's policy again.
He said he is not appealing the punishment.
Berliner, commenting to NPR's David Folkenflik, said Maher's posts showed she is not the best person for her job.
"We're looking for a leader right now who's going to be unifying and bring more people into the tent and have a broader perspective on, sort of, what America is all about, and this seems to be the opposite of that," he said.
In his article, Berliner singled out the coverage of several issues, including trans rights, the Israel-Hamas war, and COVID-19. "

The Feds provide one third of NPR's budget, mostly indirectly
GoOskie
Someone's been listening to RW talking points. I was listening to the local Fresno trump radio network and the trump loving goon host was crying about this. It boggles the mind listening to these hypocrites and propagandists complaining about bias when all they do is spew crap 24/7.
Zippergate
How about we deal with the facts at hand? Do you support government-directed censorship? Do you think the CEO of the only national radio media outlet, an organization that receives federal funding, should be an openly rabid partisan?
MinotStateBeav
Zippergate said:

How about we deal with the facts at hand? Do you support government-directed censorship? Do you think the CEO of the only national radio media outlet, an organization that receives federal funding, should be an openly rabid partisan?
Of course they do, in fairness, they won't deny it. They believe that facts that disprove their claims are just temporary hurdles to be gaslighted away.
AunBear89
There is a reason conservatives are generally liars, hypocrites, and morons.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
AunBear89
Curious if you are knowledgeable about this topic, or just regurgitating what your Right wing bubble has spoon fed you:

What percentage of NPR's funding is from the federal government?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Zippergate
I provided a link. It's right there for you if you care to investigate. The amount of direct funding is small, but indirect funding, an unintended artifact of legislation years ago, is very large.

AunBear89
Wow. A righteous righty that actually does research! You must feel very lonely at the cult meetings.

The indirect funding is over blown, and the majority of funding comes from corporate and charitable donations. If the donors have a problem with her politics and that of the organization, I'm sure they will make their opinions known.

Or, ask your representative to work to change the rules that require grant money to be spent on such a way that it comes back to Washington. Pissing and moaning about her politics and getting huffy is just virtue signaling.

Fox "News" is far more partisan than NPR and sucks off the government teat as well, just in different ways.
dajo9
Zippergate said:

How about we deal with the facts at hand? Do you support government-directed censorship?

At a time when foreign governments are spreading misinformation and division within America I absolutely want the government working with media to inform the public and minimize the attack. Hard to imagine this being controversial in any prior era.
American Vermin
Cal88
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
GoOskie
Thanks CalHH
bear2034
dajo9 said:

Zippergate said:

How about we deal with the facts at hand? Do you support government-directed censorship?
At a time when foreign governments are spreading misinformation and division within America I absolutely want the government working with media to inform the public and minimize the attack. Hard to imagine this being controversial in any prior era.

What if it's your own government that's spreading misinformation and division within America?
bear2034
GoOskie said:

Someone's been listening to RW talking points. I was listening to the local Fresno trump radio network and the trump loving goon host was crying about this. It boggles the mind listening to these hypocrites and propagandists complaining about bias when all they do is spew crap 24/7.

Conservative talk radio doesn't claim to be neutral in the same way tax-funded far left NPR does.
bear2034

You have to be a liberal woman to be an intern at NPR. The men probably identify as women.
GoOskie
bear2034 said:

far left NPR
Someone doesn't listen to NPR, I see.
GoOskie
bear2034 said:

You have to be a liberal woman to be an intern at NPR. The men probably identify as women.
Incel vibes are strong.
bear2034
GoOskie said:

bear2034 said:

Incel vibes are strong.
I assume these people identify as women.
bear2034
GoOskie said:

bear2034 said:

far left NPR
Someone doesn't listen to NPR, I see.
The far left do.
dajo9
bear2034 said:

GoOskie said:

Conservative talk radio doesn't claim to be neutral in the same way tax-funded far left NPR does.

Fair and Balanced
American Vermin
bear2034
dajo9 said:

Fair and Balanced

Juan and Geraldo
Zippergate
What a sad state of affairs. The "liberals" of today are totally unrecognizable from the liberals of yesteryear.
bear2034

Follow the money flows.
Zippergate
hilarious but I liked Titania a lot better when she was fictional

https://www.racket.news/p/new-npr-chief-katherine-mahers-guide-cd7?r=aiop6&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web
Big C

Honestly, I hate the way the NPRs and PBS' of the world try to shove their POV down people's throat, all the while pretending like they're just reporting the news w/o any bias whatsoever. unless you're some kind of idiot, it's transparent as hell.

unfortunately for them, nobody who doesn't already agree with their POV is listening/watching

even though i share their POV 2/3 of the time, it still pisses me off, the way they do it, with the smug looks on their faces
AunBear89
MinotStateBeav
I can't believe this is real but 50 NPR staff literally decided to prove this guy correct in his criticism of the station lol. You have to read their letter hahah.
dajo9
I wonder what the average age of the NPR listener is. 77?
American Vermin
oski003
dajo9 said:

dajo9
oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

That is very surprising to me. Most people I know that used to listen to NPR stopped a decade or so ago, just because of new technology options.
American Vermin
bearister
Zippergate said:

What a sad state of affairs. The "liberals" of today are totally unrecognizable from the liberals of yesteryear.

Conservative before:

Conservative now:

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
GoOskie
According to all of the very stable trumpers, the conservative republicans of yesteryear are now smug Biden loving Marxists.
Oakbear
NPR's far-left CEO Katherine Maher: "Our reverence for the truth might be a distraction that's getting in the way of finding common ground and getting things done."

whose truth LOL
Zippergate
Shall we do a meme of liberals? One second thought, how would one capture all the Bellevue-meets-the-zombie-apocalypse insanity in one post?

With all the absolute bat**** crazy stuff going on in this country, imagine thinking these misdirected Trump supporters (and Antifa plants) are the problem. How many of these domestic terrorists were actually charged with violent crimes? Seems your peeps have a virtual monopoly on those crimes even if they aren't prosecuted.
Zippergate
Oakbear said:

NPR's far-left CEO Katherine Maher: "Our reverence for the truth might be a distraction that's getting in the way of finding common ground and getting things done."

whose truth LOL
I assume that's a rhetorical question. They give us the answer to that every single day.
dajo9
Zippergate said:

Shall we do a meme of liberals? One second thought, how would one capture all the Bellevue-meets-the-zombie-apocalypse insanity in one post?

With all the absolute bat**** crazy stuff going on in this country, imagine thinking these misdirected Trump supporters (and Antifa plants) are the problem. How many of these domestic terrorists were actually charged with violent crimes? Seems your peeps have a virtual monopoly on those crimes even if they aren't prosecuted.
Yes, please do a meme of liberals who attended a Biden event
American Vermin
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.