TV Coverage
3,459 Views | 39 Replies
bearsandgiants
7:48a, 5/10/24
In reply to BeachedBear
BeachedBear said:

I feel you, SFCity and leave with one parting shot, that I have learned over the last couple years.

This changes rapidly and will continue to do so. As a result, I've learned to stay away from services that are hard to disconnect or have contracts more than a month (Comcast, Xfinity, DirecTV - at least in the past). Most of the modern ones can be activated/deactivated instantly ON the TV or easily on your computer (Sling, Fubo, Hulu, etc.).

Find a couple that have most of what you need. Then use free trials for the one-off game or event that you don't receive (I've done this with Fubo) - and turn Sling on and off seasonally).

Key to free trials is lots of email addresses. BearsFan2999995@gmail.com, BearsFan2999996@gmail.com, etc
mbBear
8:02a, 5/10/24
In reply to sycasey
sycasey said:

mbBear said:

brevity said:

SFCityBear said:

I know it is very early yet, but does anyone have an idea of what networks or providers will be covering Cal basketball games in the coming season? How about Cal football games? (I am hoping to dump Xfinity for a system that does not break down so often, and I'd like to sign up with a company which will be carrying the Cal games). Thanks in advance.

We kind of already know, if we're speaking generally. The ACC has a deal with the CW (definitely broadcast, probably on the CW app, but not online) to air 50 games per academic year, split among football, men's basketball, and women's basketball. Last year it was 13 football games (one scheduled for each Saturday afternoon in the fall, Eastern time), 28 men's basketball games, and 9 women's basketball games. I believe the basketball games were often doubleheaders, and only on Saturdays or Sundays.

The ACC has already published the 2024 schedule for football, and should do the same for basketball around late September. Most of the televised games will be in the ESPN family of networks: ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ACC Network, maybe ESPN+. We usually don't know the exact time or channel of any game until a week or two beforehand.

One more note: Cal's 2024 football schedule shows a nonconference road game at Auburn. I imagine that game is part of the SEC package, and if it's not on the SEC Network (also part of the ESPN family), it could be on CBS.
CBS is no longer in the SEC game. But right, being AT Auburn is the key factor. I'm betting ESPN 2, if I had to make a prediction out of my rear.
Cal fans need to be saying extra prayers for a night game...
Matt Sarzyniak (who runs the website that tracks all college football TV broadcasts) posted his best guesses for TV coverage in the first three weeks. He thinks Cal-Auburn will be on ESPN at 7pm Eastern (4pm Pacific).

https://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2024/04/cfb-tv-guesses-2024-week-2-version-2.html

That makes sense to me. There aren't a lot of Power 4-vs.-Power 4 matchups in the early slate, so the ones that exist tend to get good TV slots.
I made my guess without looking at other games, so I love how this potentially sounds.
I would love the 6p ct kickoff for just maybe a more mild temperature game; sunset is 6:55 for that day.
But that time of year, definitely wishful thinking on my part....the Houston-Oklahoma game would have me a bit concerned for that slot...
RedlessWardrobe
8:37a, 5/10/24
In reply to mbBear
mbBear said:

sycasey said:

mbBear said:

brevity said:

SFCityBear said:

I know it is very early yet, but does anyone have an idea of what networks or providers will be covering Cal basketball games in the coming season? How about Cal football games? (I am hoping to dump Xfinity for a system that does not break down so often, and I'd like to sign up with a company which will be carrying the Cal games). Thanks in advance.

We kind of already know, if we're speaking generally. The ACC has a deal with the CW (definitely broadcast, probably on the CW app, but not online) to air 50 games per academic year, split among football, men's basketball, and women's basketball. Last year it was 13 football games (one scheduled for each Saturday afternoon in the fall, Eastern time), 28 men's basketball games, and 9 women's basketball games. I believe the basketball games were often doubleheaders, and only on Saturdays or Sundays.

The ACC has already published the 2024 schedule for football, and should do the same for basketball around late September. Most of the televised games will be in the ESPN family of networks: ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ACC Network, maybe ESPN+. We usually don't know the exact time or channel of any game until a week or two beforehand.

One more note: Cal's 2024 football schedule shows a nonconference road game at Auburn. I imagine that game is part of the SEC package, and if it's not on the SEC Network (also part of the ESPN family), it could be on CBS.
CBS is no longer in the SEC game. But right, being AT Auburn is the key factor. I'm betting ESPN 2, if I had to make a prediction out of my rear.
Matt Sarzyniak (who runs the website that tracks all college football TV broadcasts) posted his best guesses for TV coverage in the first three weeks. He thinks Cal-Auburn will be on ESPN at 7pm Eastern (4pm Pacific).

https://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2024/04/cfb-tv-guesses-2024-week-2-version-2.html

That makes sense to me. There aren't a lot of Power 4-vs.-Power 4 matchups in the early slate, so the ones that exist tend to get good TV slots.
I made my guess without looking at other games, so I love how this potentially sounds.
I would love the 6p ct kickoff for just maybe a more mild temperature game; sunset is 6:55 for that day.
But that time of year, definitely wishful thinking on my part....the Houston-Oklahoma game would have me a bit concerned for that slot...
I will try to remember that every night before bedtime between now and September 7th.
mbBear
12:31p, 5/10/24
In reply to RedlessWardrobe
RedlessWardrobe said:

mbBear said:

sycasey said:

mbBear said:

brevity said:

SFCityBear said:

I will try to remember that every night before bedtime between now and September 7th.
That's the spirit I look for here

Just to add: I think there are some that believe the "weather is the same for both sides," but I totally believe it gets in the heads of players who didn't grow up with it etc...and maybe the Texas guys (and Mr. Florida Mendoza) carry the day.
Back in the 70s, Cal at Nebraska (Rich Campbell days), Bears played really well until wilting. Cal at Maryland, the Jahvid Best throw up on the field game, no question the weather played a part (it was a fluke for it to be that humid that day)....
Others might have their own memories, and, living here in the east, well, let's just say I am glad I have moved to the "shore"...
sycasey
8:40p, 5/13/24
In reply to sycasey
sycasey said:

YouTube TV does seem like the best streaming option now that Pac-12 Network is no longer a need. You should get everything you need to watch Cal and most any other major sport.
Looking further into this . . . I think YouTube TV works great in the Bay Area because it also carries the local RSNs (NBC Sports Bay Area, NBC Sports California). There are a lot of other markets where it doesn't carry them. For example, it doesn't have Spectrum SportsNet or Bally Sports West so if you're in L.A. you can't watch the Dodgers, Lakers, Kings, etc., on YouTube. If you're in NYC there's a similar issue with YES Network, MSG, etc. That will be a problem if you also want to see the local pro teams.

DirecTV offers a streaming-only option that seems to mostly cover these in whatever local market you're in. Price point is not too different from the other streamers, and they do have ACC Network too. Looks like there might be some weirdness with the local channels (including CW), so might want to be sure you get all of those.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings