TV Coverage
3,450 Views | 39 Replies
SFCityBear
7:07p, 5/6/24
I know it is very early yet, but does anyone have an idea of what networks or providers will be covering Cal basketball games in the coming season? How about Cal football games? (I am hoping to dump Xfinity for a system that does not break down so often, and I'd like to sign up with a company which will be carrying the Cal games). Thanks in advance.
SFCityBear
brevity
7:49p, 5/6/24
In reply to SFCityBear
SFCityBear said:

I know it is very early yet, but does anyone have an idea of what networks or providers will be covering Cal basketball games in the coming season? How about Cal football games? (I am hoping to dump Xfinity for a system that does not break down so often, and I'd like to sign up with a company which will be carrying the Cal games). Thanks in advance.

We kind of already know, if we're speaking generally. The ACC has a deal with the CW (definitely broadcast, probably on the CW app, but not online) to air 50 games per academic year, split among football, men's basketball, and women's basketball. Last year it was 13 football games (one scheduled for each Saturday afternoon in the fall, Eastern time), 28 men's basketball games, and 9 women's basketball games. I believe the basketball games were often doubleheaders, and only on Saturdays or Sundays.

The ACC has already published the 2024 schedule for football, and should do the same for basketball around late September. Most of the televised games will be in the ESPN family of networks: ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ACC Network, maybe ESPN+. We usually don't know the exact time or channel of any game until a week or two beforehand.

One more note: Cal's 2024 football schedule shows a nonconference road game at Auburn. I imagine that game is part of the SEC package, and if it's not on the SEC Network (also part of the ESPN family), it could be on CBS.
blungld
8:03p, 5/6/24
Living on East Coast I have been able to watch every Cal football game on TV for years and nearly every basketball game including women's. It would be ironic and really frustrating if by joining an East Coast conference I now will miss several games and will have retrograde back to radio.
WalterSobchak
8:57p, 5/6/24
In reply to blungld
Other than maybe Davis and SDSU, you probably won't. ACCN has overflow streaming "channels" on the ESPN website (and app?) that show games live and even allow them to be replayed. (What a concept.) Go look at the spring games thread I started on the football board. All of our ACC opponents' spring games are linked and can be watched in full right now if you have an ESPN login. Our spring game would be lost to the ether if not for the efforts of a sturdy Golden Bear.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
RedlessWardrobe
3:07a, 5/7/24
In reply to SFCityBear
SFCityBear said:

SFCB, I'm 95% sure: Direct TV= Cal Basketball and Cal Football.
Intuit
7:30a, 5/7/24
Try FuboTV Get all coverage known to man!
Basketball Bear
11:43a, 5/7/24
The ACC Network runs on ESPN so if you have that you are set. If not you can order Sling TV Orange $40 a month. If you want also fox sports1 you can add Blue for $20 more. This is the cheapest option for getting ACC network games.

If you want more sports coverage for your money there is Fubo and DirectTV streaming for $79 mo. YouTube TV is $73.

Hope this helps.
sycasey
1:26p, 5/7/24
All ACC games are on the ESPN family of networks (ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, etc.), the CW, or the ACC Network. Anything that can't fit on there goes on the "overflow" ACC Network Plus, which is available to stream on the ESPN app/site. If you have some kind of TV service that gets ACC Network, you should be able to watch that too.

Non-conference road games are of course governed by the home team's TV deal, so I can't speak to those. But just about every Division 1 game is available at least over streaming in some fashion these days.
Chabbear
3:16p, 5/7/24
It appears that the CW is not on all the local Fubo streams. Check your channels.
oskidunker
3:28p, 5/7/24
My direct tv package has Big 10, Sec but no Acc. I would have to buy the sports pak. I wonder if this will change?
Go Bears!
youngbear1992
4:35p, 5/7/24
In reply to Basketball Bear
Basketball Bear said:

The ACC Network runs on ESPN so if you have that you are set. If not you can order Sling TV Orange $40 a month. If you want also fox sports1 you can add Blue for $20 more. This is the cheapest option for getting ACC network games.
Be aware that Sling does not have all of the local channels (eg, The CW, ABC). They do sell AirTV devices which, paired with an antenna and good reception, allows you to watch local channels integrated in the Sling app.

It's a bit clunky. I'd recommend just getting Youtube TV if you don't want any hassles. YTTV's big issue was the lack of Pac-12 Network carriage, but that's no problem anymore!
barsad
5:34p, 5/7/24
In reply to youngbear1992
The only thing worse than the NIL system is the current state of a la carte streaming systems. How many times do we have to reinvent cable and make things worse and more expensive?
Sling worked fine for me on all Pac 12 games, it will be the same next year, but you need the sports package which adds $$.
Those of you who don't know, all the local channels can be received like we did for the first 50 years of television, a TV with an antenna coax port and a 40 dollar antenna. Have fun adjusting your rabbit ears with tinfoil addons! Those of you born after 1990, Google it.
oskidunker
6:23p, 5/7/24
In reply to barsad
barsad said:

The only thing worse than the NIL system is the current state of a la carte streaming systems. How many times do we have to reinvent cable and make things worse and more expensive?
Sling worked fine for me on all Pac 12 games, it will be the same next year, but you need the sports package which adds $$.
Those of you who don't know, all the local channels can be received like we did for the first 50 years of television, a TV with an antenna coax port and a 40 dollar antenna. Have fun adjusting your rabbit ears with tinfoil addons! Those of you born after 1990, Google it.

Where I live in San Bruno indoor antennas dont work well. Imagine. Ill just buy tbe directvtv sports pak. a roof antenna would work. I call every time the rate goes up and they usually give me 40% off. I have apple tv and use it for netflix and acorn but am not a huge fan of streaming. Half the time, depending on the streamer, i have to restart apple tv since I leave it. This seems easier than letting it sleep
Go Bears!
sycasey
7:50p, 5/7/24
YouTube TV does seem like the best streaming option now that Pac-12 Network is no longer a need. You should get everything you need to watch Cal and most any other major sport.

EDIT: The issue with Fubo is that it doesn't carry the Turner channels: no TNT or TBS. Not a big deal for most Cal sports, but it's a problem for watching the NBA, MLB, and March Madness. You could supplement that with a Max (formerly HBO Max) subscription to get that stuff too.
HoopDreams
8:55p, 5/7/24
SiriusXM radio turned Pac12 Network off several weeks ago. They do have an ACC channel
RedlessWardrobe
7:01a, 5/8/24
In reply to oskidunker
oskidunker said:

My direct tv package has Big 10, Sec but no Acc. I would have to buy the sports pak. I wonder if this will change?
If you move up to the choice package, you will get the ACC channel and all alternates. I'm not sure if that's a cheaper move than just adding the sports add on, it might come out the same. In any case, as a DirectTV subscriber it will definitely be easier than the Pac12 scenario, which had forced me to add Sling. Much better now.
blungld
8:11a, 5/8/24
In reply to sycasey
sycasey said:

YouTube TV does seem like the best streaming option now that Pac-12 Network is no longer a need. You should get everything you need to watch Cal and most any other major sport.

EDIT: The issue with Fubo is that it doesn't carry the Turner channels: no TNT or TBS. Not a big deal for most Cal sports, but it's a problem for watching the NBA, MLB, and March Madness. You could supplement that with a Max (formerly HBO Max) subscription to get that stuff too.
I just switched a few weeks ago from Spectrum cable where I had a PAC 12 network package, to fiber and YouTubeTV with ESPN+. Hopefully that does the trick. BY the way, YouTubeTV stream (especially the 4K) look so much better than Spectrum stream. I watch/watched both through Apple Tv and my understanding is that Spectrum may cablecast at HD but that their app/streaming is 720. The difference is very noticeable (and not advertised). When I had both services for a few weeks the side by side was crazy. YouTubeTv was sharp crisp with total definition on the grass. Spectrum was soft. You get used to watching and not until side by side did I realize the huge difference.
sycasey
8:30a, 5/8/24
In reply to blungld
blungld said:

sycasey said:

I just switched a few weeks ago from Spectrum cable where I had a PAC 12 network package, to fiber and YouTubeTV with ESPN+. Hopefully that does the trick. BY the way, YouTubeTV stream (especially the 4K) look so much better than Spectrum stream. I watch/watched both through Apple Tv and my understanding is that Spectrum may cablecast at HD but that their app/streaming is 720. The difference is very noticeable (and not advertised). When I had both services for a few weeks the side by side was crazy. YouTubeTv was sharp crisp with total definition on the grass. Spectrum was soft. You get used to watching and not until side by side did I realize the huge difference.
I think the same is true of Comcast/Xfinity. The streaming doesn't look as good as other apps from fully-streaming companies.
barsad
10:02a, 5/8/24
In reply to oskidunker
oskidunker said:

barsad said:

Where I live in San Bruno indoor antennas dont work well. Imagine. Ill just buy tbe directvtv sports pak. a roof antenna would work. I call every time the rate goes up and they usually give me 40% off. I have apple tv and use it for netflix and acorn but am not a huge fan of streaming. Half the time, depending on the streamer, i have to restart apple tv since I leave it. This seems easier than letting it sleep

San Bruno Mountain does present some geography problems for over-the-air (OTA) channels, but you'd be surprised how good the indoor/outdoor antenna products have gotten, no rooftop climbing needed (outside a window, with a small hole drilled for the wire should do it).
I agree with the assessment of cable provider streaming quality, they have no incentive to invest what it takes for HD high-volume streaming, they're too busy selling overpriced bundling deals and boxes that you can only rent (along with terrible customer service as a cherry on top).
I cut the cord 15 years ago and haven't looked back, Comcast and Spectrum are the newspapers of our time, dinosaurs on their way out. Except they own all the Internet fiber optic cable, that's a bit of a problem.
WalterSobchak
11:38a, 5/8/24
I have my outdoor antenna inside my attic pointed at Sutro from across the bay and have zero reception issues.* I use hdhomerun for conversion to packets and run tvheadend on an old rpi3b for DVR to avoid fees but you can also just pay SD directly for DVR and with that there's no technical setup to worry about. Looking forward to OTA games on CW.

*KNTV (NBC) sometimes has issues because it's not on Sutro but that's rarely an issue for primetime and sporting events.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
KoreAmBear
12:51p, 5/8/24
In reply to blungld
blungld said:

Living on East Coast I have been able to watch every Cal football game on TV for years and nearly every basketball game including women's. It would be ironic and really frustrating if by joining an East Coast conference I now will miss several games and will have retrograde back to radio.
We can never go back to radio only.

Even 12U baseball games are fully live streamed on GameChanger.

AunBear89
1:41p, 5/8/24
Hulu/Disney/ESPN+ bundle. Problem solved.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Basketball Bear
3:56p, 5/8/24
Espn carries acc network but not sure Espn+ does. Espn+ should be marketed as Espn-.
golden sloth
4:31p, 5/8/24
Aren't ESPN, Fox and TNT all combining to form a super stream for sports content? Isn't that supposed to be live in August? I was planning on waiting for this.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/39472710/espn-fox-warner-bros-launch-sports-streaming-platform
sycasey
4:41p, 5/8/24
In reply to Basketball Bear
Basketball Bear said:

Espn carries acc network but not sure Espn+ does. Espn+ should be marketed as Espn-.
You need some kind of TV subscription to access ACC Network on ESPN+. That means cable, satellite (DirecTV), or one of the internet streaming services like Sling, YouTubeTV, Fubo, etc. Your channel package has to contain ACC Network.
AunBear89
6:26p, 5/8/24
In reply to sycasey
sycasey said:

Basketball Bear said:

You need some kind of TV subscription to access ACC Network on ESPN+. That means cable, satellite (DirecTV), or one of the internet streaming services like Sling, YouTubeTV, Fubo, etc. Your channel package has to contain ACC Network.

Or Hulu. Bundle pricing makes it worth it. ESPN+ includes premium content on website.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Basketball Bear
10:37p, 5/8/24
if this is true, then this is the ticket to get. If someone has that, please let us know if it's true.
RedlessWardrobe
6:54a, 5/9/24
Wow. All of us could be accused of not possessing 100% knowledge of the Cal Basketball program. But when it comes to current broadcasting expertise, we got it covered!
HearstMining
8:02a, 5/9/24
Based on everything I have read, the ACC network is available on Hulu + Live TV ($76.99/mo). It is not available on regular Hulu or on the Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+($14.99/mo) bundle. The advertising is very tricky (like almost all advertising) and blurs the line between the two options.
sycasey
8:18a, 5/9/24
In reply to HearstMining
HearstMining said:

Based on everything I have read, the ACC network is available on Hulu + Live TV ($76.99/mo). It is not available on regular Hulu or on the Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+($14.99/mo) bundle. The advertising is very tricky (like almost all advertising) and blurs the line between the two options.

Yeah, I think you need the Live TV option to get ACC Network on Hulu.
mbBear
8:31a, 5/9/24
In reply to brevity
brevity said:

SFCityBear said:

We kind of already know, if we're speaking generally. The ACC has a deal with the CW (definitely broadcast, probably on the CW app, but not online) to air 50 games per academic year, split among football, men's basketball, and women's basketball. Last year it was 13 football games (one scheduled for each Saturday afternoon in the fall, Eastern time), 28 men's basketball games, and 9 women's basketball games. I believe the basketball games were often doubleheaders, and only on Saturdays or Sundays.

The ACC has already published the 2024 schedule for football, and should do the same for basketball around late September. Most of the televised games will be in the ESPN family of networks: ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ACC Network, maybe ESPN+. We usually don't know the exact time or channel of any game until a week or two beforehand.

One more note: Cal's 2024 football schedule shows a nonconference road game at Auburn. I imagine that game is part of the SEC package, and if it's not on the SEC Network (also part of the ESPN family), it could be on CBS.
CBS is no longer in the SEC game. But right, being AT Auburn is the key factor. I'm betting ESPN 2, if I had to make a prediction out of my rear.
Cal fans need to be saying extra prayers for a night game...
sycasey
8:42a, 5/9/24
In reply to mbBear
mbBear said:

brevity said:

SFCityBear said:

CBS is no longer in the SEC game. But right, being AT Auburn is the key factor. I'm betting ESPN 2, if I had to make a prediction out of my rear.
Cal fans need to be saying extra prayers for a night game...
Matt Sarzyniak (who runs the website that tracks all college football TV broadcasts) posted his best guesses for TV coverage in the first three weeks. He thinks Cal-Auburn will be on ESPN at 7pm Eastern (4pm Pacific).

https://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2024/04/cfb-tv-guesses-2024-week-2-version-2.html

That makes sense to me. There aren't a lot of Power 4-vs.-Power 4 matchups in the early slate, so the ones that exist tend to get good TV slots.
Basketball Bear
3:25p, 5/9/24
Here is a link you will all find useful in pricing. I think to add on to HULU you must have the live TV. Check it out.

https://www.yardbarker.com/entertainment/streaming/articles/how_to_watch_acc_network/s1_17261_39056290

SFCityBear
5:50p, 5/9/24
I'd like to thank all who responded to my original post. I see now that I was dreaming about there being a simple answer. It is clear now that what I know about modern TV could be inscribed on the head of a pin. I have learned a great deal here, and after I look into these solutions, hopefully I will figure out a good one for me.

I echo RedlessWardrobe in praising the knowledge of all who contributed here. You guys are too much!
SFCityBear
BeachedBear
6:01a, 5/10/24
I feel you, SFCity and leave with one parting shot, that I have learned over the last couple years.

This changes rapidly and will continue to do so. As a result, I've learned to stay away from services that are hard to disconnect or have contracts more than a month (Comcast, Xfinity, DirecTV - at least in the past). Most of the modern ones can be activated/deactivated instantly ON the TV or easily on your computer (Sling, Fubo, Hulu, etc.).

Find a couple that have most of what you need. Then use free trials for the one-off game or event that you don't receive (I've done this with Fubo) - and turn Sling on and off seasonally).
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings