Cal's Top Targets
14,746 Views | 80 Replies
barsad
12:03a, 4/30/24
In reply to LessMilesMoreTedford
Are you saying Tucker is not up to that standard?
bearsandgiants
3:54a, 4/30/24
In reply to barsad
barsad said:

When I look at the roster tracker now it's striking how much this transfer madness is hurting team development. 2 of our 5 starters will be gone a year from now and they haven't even set foot on campus yet! (Tucker-Sissoko). Another five players, including the rest of this year's starters (except Stojakovic) will be gone in 2026.
I'm not saying there's anything the staff could have done about it, this was the hand we were dealt. But I am saying that tournament teams need more than one (or two) years of playing together to become a resilient and winning team. This new system is killing chances at team chemistry.

I see it as the best he could do with what he was dealt, and it's better than last year, with more depth and longevity, and if successful, next year even more so, with HS guys being more into it then. It's going to take $. We have it, just been burned too many times to shell out, but that is changing. Could be way off but I think MM is the PERFECT guy for us right now and it only will get better.
RedlessWardrobe
7:17a, 4/30/24
In reply to barsad
barsad said:

When I look at the roster tracker now it's striking how much this transfer madness is hurting team development. 2 of our 5 starters will be gone a year from now and they haven't even set foot on campus yet! (Tucker-Sissoko). Another five players, including the rest of this year's starters (except Stojakovic) will be gone in 2026.
I'm not saying there's anything the staff could have done about it, this was the hand we were dealt. But I am saying that tournament teams need more than one (or two) years of playing together to become a resilient and winning team. This new system is killing chances at team chemistry.
At the very least, this year's scenario concerning the years left issue is slightly better than what we had in Madsen's first season. We have to think that a couple of more years down the line it will gradually reach a point where we're in the same situation as everyone else. Gotta think that MM will eventually get us there.
LessMilesMoreTedford
12:46p, 4/30/24
In reply to barsad
barsad said:

Are you saying Tucker is not up to that standard?
You need more than one guard!
barsad
1:20p, 4/30/24
In reply to LessMilesMoreTedford
I see six guards on the roster if you count Armstrong, and only two true centers… surely one of those guards is worthy of being Tucker's regular backup.
I guess we'll find out soon how Madsen deals his last scholarship card.
barsad
1:25p, 4/30/24
In reply to RedlessWardrobe
RedlessWardrobe said:

We have to think that a couple of more years down the line it will gradually reach a point where we're in the same situation as everyone else. Gotta think that MM will eventually get us there.

2,000 players in the portal…. I think Cal's situation is more the norm than the exception for the middle third of D1 teams. I wish someone did the math on what percent of rosters were lost to the portal this year, it would be a fun data project.
Civil Bear
2:13p, 4/30/24
In reply to barsad
barsad said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

We have to think that a couple of more years down the line it will gradually reach a point where we're in the same situation as everyone else. Gotta think that MM will eventually get us there.

2,000 players in the portal…. I think Cal's situation is more the norm than the exception for the middle third of D1 teams. I wish someone did the math on what percent of rosters were lost to the portal this year, it would be a fun data project.

2000 portal players / 364 teams = 5.5 portal defections per team or about 42%. This doesn't account for walkons entering (Cal had 2).
stu
2:17p, 4/30/24
In reply to Civil Bear
So far we have 6 scholarship players going out and 8 coming in. Probably a 9th coming in.
RedlessWardrobe
2:41p, 4/30/24
In reply to barsad
barsad said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

I agree, the transfer portal and NIL is having a big effect on a great number of D1 teams across the country. But this year, in our situation, the returning roster is comprised of two, that's TWO returning players, one who barely played and another who ended up redshirting. Our situation has to be regarded as the extreme example of them all. Moving forward it really has no where else to go than to get easier.
BerkeleyBAT
2:43p, 4/30/24
In reply to barsad
barsad said:

I see six guards on the roster if you count Armstrong, and only two true centers… surely one of those guards is worthy of being Tucker's regular backup.
From my POV, we have three players whose ONLY viable position will be Center (Sissoko, Dort, Curtis). I don't think we can afford to use 4 roster spots for that. In the meantime, we have only one player who has played meaningful college minutes at PG (Tucker). I can see why they would priotritize someone who can play PG.
RedlessWardrobe
3:29p, 4/30/24
In reply to BerkeleyBAT
BerkeleyBAT said:

barsad said:

From my POV, we have three players whose ONLY viable position will be Center (Sissoko, Dort, Curtis). I don't think we can afford to use 4 roster spots for that. In the meantime, we have only one player who has played meaningful college minutes at PG (Tucker). I can see why they would priotritize someone who can play PG.
You really shouldn't say things like this on this board that are that logical! Please post often.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 3
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings