Cal's Top Targets
14,738 Views | 80 Replies
Johnfox
5:54p, 4/7/24

dha
8:23a, 4/11/24
Need to close some of these names to start to build some momentum for next years team. We have a lot of spots to fill and right now Cal is ranked #17 in the ACC for recruiting.
bearsandgiants
8:47a, 4/11/24
Gotta get 'em all. Especially someone named Brickus. That's just awesome.
6956bear
8:59a, 4/11/24
In reply to dha
dha said:

Need to close some of these names to start to build some momentum for next years team. We have a lot of spots to fill and right now Cal is ranked #17 in the ACC for recruiting.
There was a dead period for hoops recruiting from April 4th through today. No in person contact or OVs allowed. You could still call, text and zoom but nothing in person. I expect the next 2 weeks to start to see some real action on these portal entries.

The big unknown is the NIL budget. Given that Cal has a lot of spots to fill and will need to add at some high cost spots the likely budget number to provide a reasonably competitive roster will be $1.5M to $2m. Could be more depending on how aggressive they wish to be. The ACC is a very good hoops league so expecting to compete on a lower NIL budget is simply not realistic. Not impossible perhaps but not realistic.
Johnfox
9:25a, 4/11/24

We need to get Jordan Pope
Johnfox
9:33a, 4/11/24
I think it's most likely we get Stojakovic, Mike Sharavjamts, and maybe Pope
Oakbear
9:50a, 4/11/24
In reply to bearsandgiants
bearsandgiants said:

Gotta get 'em all. Especially someone named Brickus. That's just awesome.
better would be someone name Focus
PtownBear1
9:50a, 4/11/24
In reply to Johnfox
Johnfox said:

I like our odds considering we're listed first on this list, which could very well be how Pope listed the names when relaying them to this person.
BC Calfan
10:01a, 4/11/24
In reply to Johnfox
Johnfox said:

I think it's most likely we get Stojakovic, Mike Sharavjamts, and maybe Pope
This would be exciting.
KoreAmBear
1:29p, 4/11/24
In reply to Johnfox
Johnfox said:

If Slachert is anything like Grant Mullins I hope we get him. Looks super thin and is not tall. Can he create his own shot?
BerkeleyBAT
1:32p, 4/11/24
In reply to KoreAmBear
Slajchert committed to USC yesterday.
Basketball Bear
1:56p, 4/11/24
In reply to Johnfox
Johnfox said:

He has 8 teams that were in the tournament this year that are asking for his services. five of them were seeded 1-4. That is a lot of temptation. He got a taste of the tournament this year...my guess are chances are slim. Hope one of the coach's have developed a great relationship.
Johnfox
2:15p, 4/11/24
There's a guy named Jeff Nwankwo from JUCO and he seems to be heavily interested in Cal

6956bear
2:52p, 4/11/24
In reply to Basketball Bear
Basketball Bear said:

Johnfox said:

He has 8 teams that were in the tournament this year that are asking for his services. five of them were seeded 1-4. That is a lot of temptation. He got a taste of the tournament this year...my guess are chances are slim. Hope one of the coach's have developed a great relationship.
Well he is getting a lot of inquiries. How many actual offers and for what NIL $$ is TBD. Pope is a good player but some of these programs will be aiming higher.

It is quite a strong list and I am sure he wants every program that has looked into him to understand he has some really strong options. Should help with establishing a strong NIL expectation.

Does he want a program where he will be the lead dog? Is it simply high bid wins? Does proximity to home matter?

Cal needs a lot. Can they offer enough to bring him on and have enough left to fill out the roster? Since we do not know what they have in the hoops collective it is hard to know how the staff will approach the portal.
6956bear
2:54p, 4/11/24
In reply to Johnfox
Johnfox said:

There's a guy named Jeff Nwankwo from JUCO and he seems to be heavily interested in Cal

Tremendous athlete. High ceiling potential. But it is a big step from JC to the ACC. I would expect some uneven performances. But he has a chance to make an impact.
calumnus
10:43p, 4/12/24
In reply to Johnfox
Johnfox said:

I'm sold.
calumnus
10:49p, 4/12/24
In reply to 6956bear
6956bear said:

Johnfox said:

Tremendous athlete. High ceiling potential. But it is a big step from JC to the ACC. I would expect some uneven performances. But he has a chance to make an impact.

Was a high level basketball player in HS, but went to Tulane on a football scholarship.
RedlessWardrobe
7:06a, 4/13/24
In reply to dha
dha said:

So bizarre that now there is recruiting rankings. Just a guess here but the Cal/Furd recruiting situation in the ACC might be a bit skewed, since location wise these schools are so far away. I understand that us and furd still face competition from the former Pac 12 schools, but I would think there's slightly a bigger pool to choose from.
Johnfox
8:49a, 4/13/24

I guess were out of the running for Jordan Pope
BC Calfan
10:17a, 4/13/24
No Frankie Collins either. We really need a solid PG AND a solid backup PG.

Johnfox
11:54a, 4/13/24
In reply to BC Calfan
I am not aware of any solid PG's were in contact with. Only one is maybe Jhamir Brickus and Jamarii Thomas.
LessMilesMoreTedford
11:57a, 4/13/24
Wilkinson might be given those duties early, which is cool for him but going to be very tough for us
Johnfox
8:03p, 4/17/24

We really need to get Stojakovic. He will visit this Friday and Saturday. Hopefully, we can seal the deal then
Big C
9:05p, 4/17/24
In reply to Johnfox
Johnfox said:

I am not aware of any solid PG's were in contact with. Only one is maybe Jhamir Brickus and Jamarii Thomas.

Positionless basketball!
rkt88edmo
11:18a, 4/18/24
Why do all the recruits use the navy cal with yellow outline, why isn't our branding the gold script cal with a navy outline
Oakbear
11:54a, 4/18/24
In reply to rkt88edmo
rkt88edmo said:

Why do all the recruits use the navy cal with yellow outline, why isn't our branding the gold script cal with a navy outline
I am sure all of our recruits have only one thing in mind, should I use the blue with gold or the gold with blue

jeepers, creepers some of you worry about the damndest things

for me it is enough that they put Cal in there and spell it correctly (i.e. not berkeley or cal-berkeley or UCB, etc)
Econ141
4:51p, 4/18/24
Anyone know if we have a realistic shot here?

Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
NarangS19
5:19p, 4/18/24
In reply to Econ141
Those are way different finalists than what on3 had. But everything I've read has him going to Michigan.
barsad
11:17a, 4/19/24
If I were one of these transfers, with limited eligibility, I would have only one question for the coach: When will I be playing in the tournament? Sure, a few extra bucks of NIL is nice, but it doesn't replace having your name in the March Madness books. By that measure, Cal is in a real bind. Madsen can't say with a straight face that Cal is landing a tourney spot in 2025. Even 2026 seems a stretch. So why would a guy who has two years to play go with Cal vs all the others on the lists above who can say they are tournament teams? I don't envy Madsen's job right now, this is high stakes for him.
barsad
11:27a, 4/19/24
A little transfer math. There are at least 1,600 players in the portal, most people expect about 2,000 to be the total. There are only 5,500 TOTAL players in D1. There are only 69 P5 schools, assume most of those 2,000 portal transfers are from those schools.
We are living through a time when 37 percent of all players are switching allegiance, and well over half of the total rosters of the top 70 schools.
This is an insane way to run a sport, the NCAA needs to call an emergency meeting. NIL caps, separate league for "clean schools" with no NIL, enforce a two-transfer max…. It should all be on the table in that meeting.
BC Calfan
3:58p, 4/19/24
Couple updates. Bryce Pope to USC---isnt he a Slajchert clone? Huh. And while I didn't hear of any Aligbe mentions, we were a finalist for him a couple years ago.

calumnus
2:31p, 4/20/24
In reply to barsad
barsad said:

A little transfer math. There are at least 1,600 players in the portal, most people expect about 2,000 to be the total. There are only 5,500 TOTAL players in D1. There are only 69 P5 schools, assume most of those 2,000 portal transfers are from those schools.
We are living through a time when 37 percent of all players are switching allegiance, and well over half of the total rosters of the top 70 schools.
This is an insane way to run a sport, the NCAA needs to call an emergency meeting. NIL caps, separate league for "clean schools" with no NIL, enforce a two-transfer max…. It should all be on the table in that meeting.

Why would you assume most of those in the portal are from the 69 P5 schools instead of from most of the hundreds of schools? Shoot, even D2 players enter the portal hoping to move up to D1.
SpensBlack87
9:49a, 4/26/24

This guy took a visit to Cal and was impressed before he committed to Baylor. We can sure use a big like this!
Intuit
10:25a, 4/26/24
Cal Basketball: 7' JC Center Noah Boyed Impressed by Visit to Cal | Bear Insider
Basketball Bear
10:47a, 4/26/24
I looked him up on the Baylor website and there were no stats for him this last season. Did he redshirt?
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 3
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings