Story Poster
Photo by X / Braden Miller
Cal Football

Bears Land Michigan State Portal OT Braden Miller on Official Visit

April 21, 2024

The Bears addressed a position of need with the commitment of Michigan State soph OT Braden Miller‍ on his official visit to Cal this weekend.

The 6-6/300 OT was a reserve lineman for the Spartans and is looking for an opportunity to come in and compete to start at one of the tackle positions, following just months after his brother Barrett started all season at left tackle for the Bears after grad transferring from Stanford and using his final season of eligibility at Cal.

“He enjoyed it a lot at Cal," Miller said of his brother. "He had a lot of good things to say about the coaches. He liked his teammates a lot and he liked the area a lot. He had nothing bad to say about his time there.

"Program-wise, I really liked Coach Bloesch. Just talking to him, he's a knowledgeable guy. He knows what he's doing so that's great to see and great to feel as well, especially since I've been around two very good o-line coaches. Coach Kap (Chris Kapilovic) who's currently at Alabama and then Coach Michalczik, who was at Oregon State, Cal, Arizona, and Michigan State. So I've seen a lot of good coaches."

A 3 star prep recruit, Miller had offers from the likes of Miami, Utah, Tennessee, Stanford, and Michigan and more before committing to Michigan State.

Stay tuned for more from Miller on his commitment.

Discussion from...

Bears Land Michigan State Portal OT Braden Miller on Official Visit

5,218 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by mbBear
Goobear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Braden, welcome to you and your family (again) to Cal Football. Wishing you the best of success on and off the field. Go Bears!
Oakbear
Hope he does well, but a reserve for a very poor team does not excite me
Strykur
Oakbear said:

Michigan State was dead in the water after Mel Tucker was sent packing last year, they had a lot more problems than just line play.
Oakbear
So if mel had been this guy would have started and msu would have good LOL
MinotStateBeav
Nice, 6'6 300 So is a good start. Hopefully he's got good feet too, congrats to the coaches though, it's never bad news to start building a stable of offensive lineman that want to compete. Hope the young man enjoys his time in Berkeley and is able to take advantage of his educational opportunity.
Big C

Love these Millers! Welcome to Cal, Braden: Go Bears!
rkt88edmo
Sibling pipeline says a lot about the team culture and opportunities at Cal.
BearGoggles
Oakbear said:

So you're not excited by any of the underclass non-starters on Cal's current team? I am.

It takes linemen time to develop. I'm "excited" to see Ca sign an athletic and huge tackle anytime, particularly a guy who has been playing D-1 for two years. He projects higher, but even if he's just a reserve, that has a ton of value to a very thin Cal OL unit. Cal has been trying to sign a player like this for the past 2 years.

Honestly, your response is pretty awful, particularly in a thread welcoming a new player to Cal.
StillNoStanfurdium
I certainly don't mind that he's also coming from a team being coached by Coach Michalczik.

Edit: I realize that Michalczik just arrived with Jonathan Smith from Oregon State so realistically Miller wouldn't have had that much time outside of maybe spring with him.
Oakbear
BearGoggles said:

Oakbear said:

So you're not excited by any of the underclass non-starters on Cal's current team? I am.

It takes linemen time to develop. I'm "excited" to see Ca sign an athletic and huge tackle anytime, particularly a guy who has been playing D-1 for two years. He projects higher, but even if he's just a reserve, that has a ton of value to a very thin Cal OL unit. Cal has been trying to sign a player like this for the past 2 years.

Honestly, your response is pretty awful, particularly in a thread welcoming a new player to Cal.
being honest is such a bad thing , our OL play has been wonderful over the last few years (dischonest)

as I said I hope he does well, but I am not optimistic, look how MSU did against top teams, they got killed, didn't score much etc .. at least as a reserve he was not as responsible for their poor play, but still be honest, all the tinted glasses don't do anything...

HearstMining
I'm optimistic about Braden Miller. Note which other schools recruited him out of HS. Stanford, Tennessee, Michigan, Utah and Miami were among the list that offered Miller a scholarship. No, he's not a sure-thing, but that's a pretty good endorsement of his potential. Post-Tedford, when Cal wins a recruiting battle, the competition for the player is frequently Eastern Washington, UNLV, UNR, Utah St, etc. with maybe one other P5 school offering. So, yeah, I think this is a good pick-up.
Pittstop
rkt88edmo said:

Sibling pipeline says a lot about the team culture and opportunities at Cal.

My thoughts exactly. Barrett Miller spent 4 years at fURD and 1 year at Cal, but obviously pumped Cal to his younger Brother (who also had a fURD offer as a portal transfer) over fURD based on his 1-year of experience with the culture at Cal. Awsome.
Pittstop
Oakbear said:

Awesome.

How many frosh OL hit the front door at a D1/P5 program as anything other than "a reserve"? Takes a minute for "most" of them to adjust to the huge leap in overall talent while at the same time being developed, and while adjusting to college life and workloads. Dude is just a Soph, now, right?
Rushinbear
Oakbear said:

BearGoggles said:

Oakbear said:

being honest is such a bad thing , our OL play has been wonderful over the last few years (dischonest)

as I said I hope he does well, but I am not optimistic, look how MSU did against top teams, they got killed, didn't score much etc .. at least as a reserve he was not as responsible for their poor play, but still be honest, all the tinted glasses don't do anything...

It's beginning to sound like you consider our players as meat. If they don't come from prime carcasses, butchered by Michelin star chefs, you won't eat it. Never mind that they are prepared by our own and presented for the honor of our institution, in addition to trying to better themselves in the process. That is the deal, isn't it?

I've had my gripes, for sure, but your damning with faint praise is getting tiresome and more than a little transparent. You are one of us, or are you?
HearstMining
Rushinbear said:

Oakbear said:

BearGoggles said:

Oakbear said:

It's beginning to sound like you consider our players as meat. If they don't come from prime carcasses, butchered by Michelin star chefs, you won't eat it. Never mind that they are prepared by our own and presented for the honor of our institution, in addition to trying to better themselves in the process. That is the deal, isn't it?

I've had my gripes, for sure, but your damning with faint praise is getting tiresome and more than a little transparent. You are one of us, or are you?
You could have just disagreed, but you decided to make it personal by questioning Oakbear's loyalty to Cal. This is the sort of behavior that drives participation on this forum downwards. Is it any wonder that the number of regular posters is, what, a couple of dozen?
Oakbear
"t's beginning to sound like you consider our players as meat"

stupid comment, but maybe they are commodity, bought and sold by the highest bidder .. I am not alone in not liking the constant movement of players .. they have little to no loyalty to the fans, so why should I be 100% loyal to them ..

If I buy any other product, then I am free to question the value,so why not here

I don't want the guy to fail, I would love all Cal players to be outstanding, but this purchase is perhaps more about the coaches than the players
Rushinbear
HearstMining said:

Rushinbear said:

Oakbear said:

BearGoggles said:

Oakbear said:

You could have just disagreed, but you decided to make it personal by questioning Oakbear's loyalty to Cal. This is the sort of behavior that drives participation on this forum downwards. Is it any wonder that the number of regular posters is, what, a couple of dozen?
After having read repeated denigrations of guys who have chosen to commit their futures to us? I can't have strong opinions about that? especially, after having held my tongue so many times?
Oakbear
After having read repeated denigrations of guys

repeated? also is it denigrating to state the truth, he was a reserve on a team that sucked on offense, esp against top teams, they didn't score at all against PSU and UM and managed a field goal against OSU

as I have noted, I hope he does well, but I ain't going to make it sound like based on info available that he is the answer to our dreams
chazzed
Nice! Welcome to Cal, young man, and good luck.
calumnus
Pittstop said:

Oakbear said:

Awesome.

How many frosh OL hit the front door at a D1/P5 program as anything other than "a reserve"? Takes a minute for "most" of them to adjust to the huge leap in overall talent while at the same time being developed, and while adjusting to college life and workloads. Dude is just a Soph, now, right?

Exactly. I have been saying for many years, going back to Tedford days, that if 5 of your 22 starters are OL, you should have 20 to 25% of your roster be OL at a minimum. There have been years when we had 12.

However, given the fact that, unlike other positions, few can start as freshman and there is a need for them to develop physically and learn your system, with a lot of uncertainty in the result, you are going to need even more rosters spots dedicated to OL. Especially to have quality depth for injuries, which are inevitable.

In the past I thought we should have a good walk-on OL program to increase the numbers. However, the transfer portal allows us to bring in guys from other programs who are further along on the development path. Guys who developed at lower levels or have spent a year or two being developed at another P4 program. That is exactly what this news is. Better than landing a highly rated HS OL, a highly rated HS guy that has spent a year being developed by someone else. It is to be celebrated.
calumnus
BearGoggles
Oakbear said:

After having read repeated denigrations of guys

repeated? also is it denigrating to state the truth, he was a reserve on a team that sucked on offense, esp against top teams, they didn't score at all against PSU and UM and managed a field goal against OSU

as I have noted, I hope he does well, but I ain't going to make it sound like based on info available that he is the answer to our dreams
Keep swinging Quixote. No one is saying he's the answer to "our dreams."

What we are saying is your "truth" is questionable (relying on some pretty significant uninformed conclusions) . And in any event, maybe don't crap on a player in the commitment thread. Save the comment for somewhere else.

Unquestionably, Cal is better with Miller on the roster than without and he adds depth at a position of dire need. That's all that really matters. And on top of that, he seems like a high character guy to add to the mix.

Shocky1
oak bear=uniformed
Big C

frustrated Cal fans need a sacrificial lamb and then there's Oakbear, saying the wrong thing, in the wrong place at the wrong time
CalBearinLA
Shocky1 said:

oak bear=uniformed
much uniformed

oskiswifeshusband
Imagine being a new bear and you come on here and read boomers arguing with each other instead of them being happy you will make their team better.

Welcome to Berkeley!
Big C
oskiswifeshusband said:

Imagine being a new bear and you come on here and read boomers arguing with each other instead of them being happy you will make their team better.

Welcome to Berkeley!

If he just now joined us, we boomers have already forgotten that it happened. However, if he joined us in the 1970s, we can recite every detail about it. This is why we're known as The Greatest Generation.
Oakbear
Big C said:

frustrated Cal fans need a sacrificial lamb and then there's Oakbear, saying the wrong thing, in the wrong place at the wrong time
Timing is everything LOL
Shocky1
^ yeah ur dropping outta berkeley after 3 years wuz probably not good timing, how's that decision worked out for u?

yet u criticize a 4.0 gpa offensive lineman that u have never seen play with multiple sec & big 10 offers that has committed to cal

maybe u should focus more on ur own dumb decisions/timing & not true student athletes on their announcement days?
Oakbear
Shocky1 said:

^ yeah ur dropping outta berkeley after 3 years wuz probably not good timing, how's that decision worked out for u?

yet u criticize a 4.0 gpa offensive lineman that u have never seen play with multiple sec & big 10 offers that has committed to cal

maybe u should focus more on ur own dumb decisions/timing & not true student athletes on their announcement day
actually dropping out for a year was a very good thing for me, you don't know me and should not make assumptions, I found an occupation that year that led to me doing very well both career wise and financially

I never criticized the guy, I said I was not excited by the announcement, some of you guys are just too thin skinned ..

MSU had a terrible offense and to be excited by a transfer that was a reserve? I would not have been excited had he been a started, their offensive production was that poor
Oakbear
Shocky1 said:

oak bear=uniformed
true as I have not worn a uniform since my Cal band days
Rushinbear
Oakbear said:

Shocky1 said:

maybe u should focus more on ur own dumb decisions/timing & not true student athletes on their announcement day
actually dropping out for a year was a very good thing for me, you don't know me and should not make assumptions, I found an occupation that year that led to me doing very well both career wise and financially

I never criticized the guy, I said I was not excited by the announcement, some of you guys are just too thin skinned ..

MSU had a terrible offense and to be excited by a transfer that was a reserve? I would not have been excited had he been a started, their offensive production was that poor
it didn't occur to you that this kid might have been caught in a univ/ath dept that was in shambles? And, your damning with faint praise doesn't get you off the hook. If you want to complain about Cal fb, complain about the coaches, ad, chancellor, even, but leave the kids, about whom you know nothing, alone.
Oakbear
Rushinbear said:

Oakbear said:

Shocky1 said:

it didn't occur to you that this kid might have been caught in a univ/ath dept that was in shambles? And, your damning with faint praise doesn't get you off the hook. If you want to complain about Cal fb, complain about the coaches, ad, chancellor, even, but leave the kids, about whom you know nothing, alone.
wow, so you know everything.. I did state only facts about the young man .. he was a reserve on a lousy offensive team .. that is all I stated .. he is, I assume, getting paid to play so fair game? seems to me now that players are being paid and have little or no loyalty to a school, it is hard for me to feel bad if I might have hurt his feelings ..

part of the reason I was unexcited was due to my lack of faith in Wilcox, the OL we brought in in prior years often did not help as much as hoped

anyway, think what you will, I very likely have bled blue and gold longer than you have been alive?
Rushinbear
Oakbear said:

Rushinbear said:

Oakbear said:

Shocky1 said:

wow, so you know everything.. I did state only facts about the young man .. he was a reserve on a lousy offensive team .. that is all I stated .. he is, I assume, getting paid to play so fair game? seems to me now that players are being paid and have little or no loyalty to a school, it is hard for me to feel bad if I might have hurt his feelings ..

part of the reason I was unexcited was due to my lack of faith in Wilcox, the OL we brought in in prior years often did not help as much as hoped

anyway, think what you will, I very likely have bled blue and gold longer than you have been alive?
class of '67, honors with great distinction.

the thing is, in this case, his bro at least didn't put the kybosh on us, because if he had it would have been easy for his bro to go elsewhere. so, the older one (and probably the folks, too) showed some loyalty and enthusiasm for Cal, such that this kid joined us. it's not all bucks all the time, at least in this instance.

Let's encourage this kid and others who follow him to give it his best and show us that our faith in them is justified.

We understand that the money and open season have ruined the college game, but let's at least try to salvage what we can when we can.
calumnus
Oakbear said:

Shocky1 said:

He is a good prospect in an area of need. We need to fill the OL room with guys with good potential to give us a chance to have good OL in the future. Freshmen OL generally don't start even on bad offenses even if they are future greats. It is the nature of the position. Thus, It is like celebrating landing a solid HS recruit. Probably not going to move the needle this year, but it is still a reason to celebrate.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.