10:53p, 4/20/24
Magical season!

https://instagr.am/p/C6ALb5Qs75r
HoopDreams
10:54p, 4/20/24
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6AKU01MpeG/
CalWSportsFan
3:23p, 4/21/24
Congrats to the Bears! Great season. Well done.
JTfromClash
3:48a, 4/29/24
UGHHHHHH

ncbears
9:37a, 4/29/24
Devastating for her.
But from a purely selfish perspective, she might not be healed enough to compete for Cal next year.
LessMilesMoreTedford
11:25a, 4/29/24
In reply to ncbears
ncbears said:

Devastating for her.
But from a purely selfish perspective, she might not be healed enough to compete for Cal next year.
Likely a medical redshirt. Devastating, as I think her eMjae and Mya could've gotten us over the top.

JTfromClash
2:00p, 4/29/24
She put off going to college to train and compete in the Paris Olympics. I can't imagine the emotions she is going through and will go through as she watches the Olympics.

I have no idea how long a gymnast can recover from an ACL. Any of you know?

Looking at Cal, yup next year you have the 4 All Arounders and Ondine could have picked up some if not all the routines Gabby and Andi take with them. Everyone improved with this year's postseason success. Andi Li 5th year? I don't recall her saying what her plans for during the senior meet. There are some really skilled gymnasts on Cal's bench .. Miki Aderinto, Casey Brown, and Annalise Newma-Achee all are very talented will need to step in if we don't see Ondine competing for Cal next season.
JTfromClash
10:41a, 5/1/24
More postseason awards for the Cal gymnasts and program!

https://collegegymnews.com/2024/05/01/2024-college-gym-news-awards-announced/
JTfromClash
8:57a, 5/6/24

eMjae interview!

sosheezy
12:30p, 5/15/24
Wonder if Cal could be a landing spot especially after the British gymnast recruit will miss next year recovering from ACL surgery - but sounds like drama
ncbears
12:45p, 5/15/24
In reply to sosheezy
sosheezy said:

Wonder if Cal could be a landing spot especially after the British gymnast recruit will miss next year recovering from ACL surgery - but sounds like drama
I think Call needs to hesitate until more of the story comes out. The College Gym News site story https://collegegymnews.com/2024/05/15/selena-harris-dismissed-from-ucla-enters-transfer-portal/

implies that Harris was unhappy with failure to qualify for Nationals (although she herself did). Is she a "prima donna" that would upset the "family" atmosphere Cal supposedly has?
From the story:
"Harris was understandably visibly upset when the Bruins failed to advance, and fans noticed her social media activity implied a dissatisfaction with the team."

No question that she is a skilled gymnast who would be a valuable part of Cal (or any team). But, Cal does have the ability to get a truthful read since Frazier's sister was on the UCLA team this year with Harris.
JTfromClash
4:13p, 5/15/24
In reply to ncbears
The gymternet is smoking today!!!!!!!!

Apparently Margzetta (eMjae's sis) posted retweet something about spoiled fruit falling off a tree but has since deleted said tweet. Was that in reference to Selena? Is there bad blood between Marz & Selena and somehow with eMjae?

so yeah definitely agree with NCBears. Take your time here. Fortunately, the Howells know UCLA coach McDonald very well. I think they would be able to get a straight answer from her about Selena being a possible prima donna.

The Cal program is a special one. I watched them for 8 years or so now. The gymnasts brought here buy into the culture. They are very supportive of one another. Athletically, adding Selena to what Cal is bringing back would make Cal the favorite for the Natty. But if she doesn't buy into the culture then probably not worth it.

I trust the Howells will do their due diligence here.

JTfromClash
4:24p, 5/15/24
I do follow UCLA gymnastics a bit as well. So my take on it: This could be a frustrated gymnast needing a change of scenery.

While Coach McDonald is only in her second year as a Head Coach, the UCLA squad is extremely talented. They were missing a couple of key gymnasts due to the Olympics, they still had a lot of talent. UCLA seems to struggle at key times. Is McDonald up to the task of bringing back UCLA to its preeminence? Prior to McDonald, the last coach was fired due to abusive tendencies that also had a racial component to it. Instead of cleaning house, McDonald brought back BJ Das (who at the time was just a choreographer) and made her an assistant coach. Some were very critical of that movie. Das was a part of the previous regime and perhaps bringing in a clean slate of new coaches was the better approach. Plus there are some who question Das' promotion. Aside from floor which UCLA excels, what does Das bring?

So maybe Selena Harris sees a UCLA situation as one where she won't win a Natty. She is ultra competitive. Maybe going to a program that is ready to win the national title is what she needs and she is upset that UCLA isn't that spot.

ncbears
9:20a, 5/16/24
not much here - just a selection of non-informed speculation
https://www.essentiallysports.com/us-sports-news-gymnastics-news-cant-take-another-shock-gymnastics-community-frustrated-after-selena-harris-ucla-news-verdict-hits-the-internet/

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 10 of 10
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings