Hope our OCC schedule is "cupcake city."
2,475 Views | 25 Replies
Ccajon2
8:51a, 4/30/24
We have nothing to prove early on in the season. It's gonna be a long walk down tobacco road this year. (We play away @ Duke, NC, and final four NC State, fer x-sake. ) May I suggest a early OOC schedule with mostly 20 loss teams? I would ideally like to see us play mostly teams ranked higher then 150 RPI. I wouldn't even mind replaying some of the teams we lost to last year. (Revenge factor). Also none of that 4 teams in the Virgin islands type of tournament. We usually have to play a ball buster program like Marquette that always beats us. And, please no UCLA or USC on the schedule. I suspect we'll have a couple of ex Pac 12 teams on there. We really need to load up on wins early, cuz later where are they going to come from?
Actual schedule so far: Opponent (w-l last yr) Massey rating last yr.
USC. (15-18) #78
K-state (19-15) #72
Sds. (26-11) #25
Cal py. (14-18) #227

Johnfox
9:15a, 4/30/24
We're going to be on the road at Kansas State and USC
parentswerebears
9:29a, 4/30/24
In reply to Johnfox
Johnfox said:

Cupcake city!
Ccajon2
11:09a, 4/30/24
In reply to Johnfox
Johnfox said:

Where was this posted JF?
RedlessWardrobe
11:45a, 4/30/24
In reply to Johnfox
Johnfox said:

Hopefully these games are scheduled later in the OOC schedule so that the players can get a little extra time to play together before facing these two.
oskidunker
12:02p, 4/30/24
The Usc game is the first game of the Season. This was posted somewhere a few weeks ago.Go figure, although suc is also rebuilding d no one goes to games there
Go Bears!
BeachedBear
12:18p, 4/30/24
In reply to RedlessWardrobe
RedlessWardrobe said:

Johnfox said:

Hopefully these games are scheduled later in the OOC schedule so that the players can get a little extra time to play together before facing these two.
From a coaching perspective, I'd rather have them spread out evenly with a lean to earlier. Gives more time to adapt and adjust.

As a coach, pretty frustrating to work on something, only to find out TOO LATE that it doesn't work. Would rather know that sooner than later.

calumnus
3:27p, 4/30/24
Apart from cupcake, no cupcake, I hope we focus the OOC schedule on West Coast teams (Bay Area even) to reduce travel and maintain rivalries. There will be enough travel during conference play.
bluehenbear
3:38p, 4/30/24
Any chance of the team getting a summertime overseas trip? Any extra practice together would help.
oskidunker
3:54p, 4/30/24
In reply to bluehenbear
bluehenbear said:

Any chance of the team getting a summertime overseas trip? Any extra practice together would help.

No
Go Bears!
brevity
3:58p, 4/30/24
In reply to oskidunker
Ccajon2 said:

Johnfox said:

Where was this posted JF?

oskidunker said:

bluehenbear said:

No

Yeah, the short answer is no, not until 2026.

I wrote a much longer and detailed answer just yesterday in the 2024-25 Roster Tracker thread.
barsad
1:06a, 5/1/24
I'm in the .500 club, I would consider that a successful season. But really I just want to see good, airtight basketball with full effort given every night.
Last year I saw some winnable games lost because of fixable "leaks" in the team. I trust Madsen will have time this summer to get this squad ready on Day 1, no excuses made about "well this is a transfer team so bad on-court chemistry is to be expected."
Start winning in November and don't look back.
Johnfox
9:21a, 5/1/24
I hope we can join the Diamond Head Classic in Hawaii. Pretty easy teams in the tourney and should be a good tune up
Johnfox
10:16a, 5/1/24
Add San Diego State to that list
Cal88
6:10p, 5/1/24
Anyone know when the ACC and OOC schedule will be announced? I'm thinking road trips here...
brevity
6:22p, 5/1/24
In reply to Cal88
Cal Poly on November 7. Possibly the season opener?

Johnfox said:

Cal88 said:

Anyone know when the ACC and OOC schedule will be announced? I'm thinking road trips here...

If it helps, last year the Cal Bears announced their nonconference schedule on August 9, and the ACC announced its conference schedule on September 26.
Cal88
8:05p, 5/1/24
Thanks!
calumnus
8:27p, 5/1/24
In reply to brevity
brevity said:

Johnfox said:

Cal88 said:

If it helps, last year the Cal Bears announced their nonconference schedule on August 9, and the ACC announced its conference schedule on September 26.

I wonder what is the logic of playing in San Jose?
Basketball Bear
9:32p, 5/1/24
Would love to see us playing in the Southern California challenge again this year in San Juan Capistrano.Everyone of those games was winnable
Big C
9:58p, 5/1/24

One thing we've proved the past seven seasons is that we can lose to anybody. I mean, we have lost to schools where a Kuchen team would've been emptying the bench at the end.

And now we're about to almost completely blend a dozen new guys. It's up to us to play decently.
MinotStateBeav
10:34p, 5/1/24
with the way transfers are happening ..look at us? We were the cupcake one year and a tougher team the next. A lot of schools are going to have these wild ebbs and flows where you think they're bad but then become pretty good within 1 year because 2 transfers can change a team.
BeachedBear
6:37a, 5/2/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

brevity said:

Johnfox said:

Cal88 said:

I'm guessing this was driven by SAP center to fill a vacancy. They probably reached out to a number of west coast schools and Cal and SDSU were first to agree. Recent SDSU success catering to Bay Area fanbase and easy road trip for Cal (probably bus, no lodging, etc).
RedlessWardrobe
7:45a, 5/2/24
In reply to Big C
Big C said:

One thing we've proved the past seven seasons is that we can lose to anybody. I mean, we have lost to schools where a Kuchen team would've been emptying the bench at the end.

And now we're about to almost completely blend a dozen new guys. It's up to us to play decently.
Please don't pick on Coach Kuchen. If you have the chance to edit, be kind enough to change it to Fox team.
BearSD
8:37a, 5/2/24
In reply to BeachedBear
BeachedBear said:

calumnus said:

brevity said:

Johnfox said:

Cal88 said:

I'm guessing this was driven by SAP center to fill a vacancy. They probably reached out to a number of west coast schools and Cal and SDSU were first to agree. Recent SDSU success catering to Bay Area fanbase and easy road trip for Cal (probably bus, no lodging, etc).
This Cal-SDSU game is probably part of a two game deal including last season's "neutral site" game in San Juan Capistrano in Orange County.

Maybe there are sponsorship dollars going to the teams as an incentive to schedule the games this way instead of playing at the home arenas?
Big C
1:26p, 5/2/24
In reply to RedlessWardrobe
RedlessWardrobe said:

Big C said:

Please don't pick on Coach Kuchen. If you have the chance to edit, be kind enough to change it to Fox team.

Can't... because in case I wasn't clear, I was saying the Fox teams (and the Jones teams and last season's OOC Madsen team) would lose to the Kuchen teams (most of them).

For the record, I knew Kuch a tiny little bit. He's a good guy. Didn't quite get it done at Cal, but I enjoyed his six seasons as our coach.
RedlessWardrobe
2:34p, 5/2/24
Got it. Now I understand!
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE