2024-25 Roster Tracker
25,164 Views | 158 Replies
TilWeWobble
5:04a, 5/4/24
There is a lot of concern on the boards about perceived lack of depth at point guard which leads me to wonder if DJ Campbell can play point. I see a low number of assists per game so maybe not but wouldn't be a bad thing to have a 41% 3 point shooter there if he can handle the spot, With Andrej expected to get the bulk of minutes at the two and Nwanko being described as a (6'7") guard) there may not be many minutes for a third shooting guard and Campbell may be our best outside threat.
RedlessWardrobe
7:30a, 5/4/24
In reply to TilWeWobble
TilWeWobble said:

There is a lot of concern on the boards about perceived lack of depth at point guard which leads me to wonder if DJ Campbell can play point. I see a low number of assists per game so maybe not but wouldn't be a bad thing to have a 41% 3 point shooter there if he can handle the spot, With Andrej expected to get the bulk of minutes at the two and Nwanko being described as a (6'7") guard) there may not be many minutes for a third shooting guard and Campbell may be our best outside threat.
Wouldn't it be great if Wilkinson came in and eliminated all of our worries by blowing everyone away? Anything is possible.
TilWeWobble
7:57a, 5/4/24
Yes, indeed it would. Don't think we have anyone else on the roster who averaged over 30 points a game in high school.
Then again, I think Sammy Singer had gawdy numbers like that
Bobodeluxe
8:52a, 5/4/24
In reply to TilWeWobble
TilWeWobble said:

Yes, indeed it would. Don't think we have anyone else on the roster who averaged over 30 points a game in high school.
Sam would have been fine if he didn't insist on wearing lead shoes.
Civil Bear
12:46p, 5/4/24
In reply to Bobodeluxe
Bobodeluxe said:

TilWeWobble said:

Sammy moved just fine. His problem was airballing freethrows.
calumnus
4:23p, 5/4/24
In reply to Civil Bear
Civil Bear said:

Bobodeluxe said:

TilWeWobble said:

His shooting got worse and worse. As a senior he was .263 from Three and he was .463 from the free throw line. Reminded me of Knezevic, who inexplicably many on this board thought was a better PG than Jerome Randle (though in their defense, Ben Braun seemed to think so too, or worse, thought he was a 2).
HoopDreams
5:29p, 5/4/24
I didn't think losing Sam was significant. I felt the two players that would have helped would be KK and Brown (if he accepted a smaller role)
SFCityBear
8:05p, 5/4/24
In reply to Pittstop
Pittstop said:

SFCityBear said:

I don't see what all the hoopla is about. The staff has managed to snag a lot of guards and wings, but where is the height? And where is the beef?

This team went no where except a little better than the previous year, maybe because they had fewer injured players. Now we have a team with serious deficiency up front. Teams with bigger taller players have an edge, most of the time.

The tallest talented big man we have is Mark Madsen, and his eligibility is all used up. Dort is projected as our center, and he is 6-10. But he has played in 18 games and averaged one point and two rebounds, or is it the other way around? I forget.

We have Curtis who is interesting, but do you think he is ready to start, or play major minutes? At least we had Daws last season, who could get rebounds and score well enough, even though his defense was not up to par. And you don't have Okafor, who might have helped.

I suggest you all stop dreaming about Mahaney. We have enough shooting guards, and we don't need another one, even though weeks ago, I would have loved it if we had signed him. What we need now is what we have always needed: tall and wide. Omot is 6-8, but he is skinny as a rail. 175 lbs. That is too skinny for a guard nowadays, and he is supposed to be a big on our roster, I think.

I don't understand it. Madsen was a terrific power forward, and played with one of themost dominant centers of all time in Shaquille, so he must know what a good big man player or a good big man recruit looks like. I would have thought he would have landed one by now, even though they are rare. End of rant, and I don't feel any better.

Rod Benson was "skinny." Chet Holmgren was "skinny." Joe Smith was skinny (in college). Porzingas is skinny. Jared Vanderbilt and Naz Reid were skinny "in college." Even Wembanyama is "skinny." How they are used, what they bring, and what Madsen will be asking of them (how he uses their particular talents) will be the thing. Not really how "skinny" they are.
You make a good point.

I would only question some of your examples. Maybe what you consider skinny is not what I might consider skinny. And skinny is relative, a little different standard in different eras. I never thought of Rod Benson as skinny. Same height and weight as Darrall Imhoff, at 6-10, 220 lbs. Joe Smith was about the same at 6-10, 225.

One reason Benson might have looked skinny is he played on Cal teams with some bigger teammates. Devon Hardin was 6-11, 250, Amit Tamir was 6-11, 260, and Leon Powe was 6-8, 240, and David Paris was 6-9, 260.

Porzingas, at 7-2, 240 certainly does not look skinny to me, He looks like a taller Darrall Imhoff, to me.

Holmgren, at 7-1, 195 in college was definitely what I'd call skinny. Wembanyana, at 7-4, 209 is definitely skinny.

The reason why many coaches going way back have preferred the stockier builds is of course to be able to take up space, be a bigger presence on the floor, for rebounding, scoring and defense. As years went by and the game became rougher, coaches added strength training to make players less susceptible to injury. Now the the modern game has become more athletic, with players playing faster and jumping higher, another reason to mostly have players who are not so skinny, is to reduce the chance of injuries.

Those players on your list who are the thinnest with respect to their height, in my opinion are Holmgren and Wembayana, and those are the two on the list who have suffered the most or most severe injuries. Holmgren missed the entire 2022-23 season with a foot injury. So far, Webanyana has battled many injuries, including a stress fracture of his tibula, a finger fracture, a bone contusion is his shoulder, a psoas muscle injury, and an ankle injury. Are thin players more susceptible to injuries? I don't know, but there are still coaches who think so, apparently.

So when I asked for more size and more beef, it is because aside from Aimaq, had only Curtis coming back. We needed rim protection, inside scoring, and defense. Hopefully, we have some of that on the roster now.

SFCityBear
BeachedBear
7:50a, 5/5/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

Civil Bear said:

Bobodeluxe said:

TilWeWobble said:

His shooting got worse and worse. As a senior he was .263 from Three and he was .463 from the free throw line. Reminded me of Knezevic, who inexplicably many on this board thought was a better PG than Jerome Randle (though in their defense, Ben Braun seemed to think so too, or worse, thought he was a 2).
Sam was a good shooter who got a long term case of the Yips. Which makes him a not-so-good shooter.

It is rare, but sometimes shooters get worse during their college career when they put more focus on physiological development than shooting. Some of it is natural growth - some is new S&C regimen. But it CAN affect a shooters touch, timing and rhythm.

I also think Martin's offensive schemes (compared to Monty's) didn't do Sam any favors - at all.
Bobodeluxe
8:41a, 5/5/24
In reply to BeachedBear
BeachedBear said:

calumnus said:

Civil Bear said:

Bobodeluxe said:

TilWeWobble said:

Sam was a good shooter who got a long term case of the Yips. Which makes him a not-so-good shooter.

It is rare, but sometimes shooters get worse during their college career when they put more focus on physiological development than shooting. Some of it is natural growth - some is new S&C regimen. But it CAN affect a shooters touch, timing and rhythm.

I also think Martin's offensive schemes (compared to Monty's) didn't do Sam any favors - at all.
His shot was blocked often enough on layups that he lost all confidence, or just realized that was always going to get "out athleted", thus, lead shoes.
Civil Bear
12:20p, 5/5/24
In reply to Bobodeluxe
Bobodeluxe said:

BeachedBear said:

calumnus said:

Civil Bear said:

Bobodeluxe said:

TilWeWobble said:

His shot was blocked often enough on layups that he lost all confidence, or just realized that was always going to get "out athleted", thus, lead shoes.

Sammy caught the yips when he airballed his very first freethrow in his very first exhibition game at Haas and he never recovered from there, save for a game winning, buzzer-beating, fake-drive, step-back three against Udub his senior season.
WalterSobchak
3:41p, 5/5/24
In reply to Civil Bear
Civil Bear said:

game winning, buzzer-beating, fake-drive, step-back three against Udub his senior season.
And this is what I'll always remember him for first and foremost.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
BC Calfan
1:05p, 5/7/24
Update on Derin Saran. Duke now involved:

https://www.si.com/college/duke/basketball-turkish-transfer-guard-attracts-interest-5-24

Pittstop
2:26p, 5/7/24
In reply to BC Calfan
BC Calfan said:

https://www.si.com/college/duke/basketball-turkish-transfer-guard-attracts-interest-5-24

Has he tripped to any of his finalists? Hopefully he enjoyed his time on the West Coast, in Irvine, and would like to stay on the WC.
oskidunker
6:53p, 5/7/24
In reply to Pittstop
Pittstop said:

BC Calfan said:

Has he tripped to any of his finalists? Hopefully he enjoyed his time on the West Coast, in Irvine, and would like to stay on the WC.

Delete
Go Bears!
SpensBlack87
9:47a, 5/10/24

I am getting the feeling the Madsen is waiting to see who withdraws from the NBA draft before utilizing the 13th scholarship
oskidunker
10:13a, 5/10/24
In reply to SpensBlack87
SpensBlack87 said:

I am getting the feeling the Madsen is waiting to see who withdraws from the NBA draft before utilizing the 13th scholarship

Good idea, if true
Go Bears!
BC Calfan
11:00a, 5/10/24
I'm not too bummed about losing out on Saran. We need a PG and he isn't one. Not sure why Rothstein calls him a floor general. He's at best a CG and probably more of a traditional 2. Averaged 1.6 assists last year. He also wasn't a starter for UC Irvine. For our last scholly, we need a pure PG or solid big man for depth.
RedlessWardrobe
11:52a, 5/10/24
In reply to oskidunker
oskidunker said:

SpensBlack87 said:

Good idea, if true
I can't find access to the projection of the early entrants. but where does Ajay Mitchell(UCSB) stand? Is it possible that the NBA passes? A point guard that would be fantastic.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 5 of 5
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings