New Commit DJ Campbell Western Carolina
2,480 Views | 17 Replies
StillABear1
12:14p, 4/19/24
DJ Campbell committed per Verbal Commits. Strong 6-2 G that had 11.7PPG with good shooting percentages. 2 years to play.
WalterSobchak
12:29p, 4/19/24

Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
stu
12:33p, 4/19/24
This season shot .529 overall, .410 on threes at Western Carolina. Also 3.7 rebounds but only 1.5 assists per game. 12 points and 6 rebounds against Notre Dame.

https://catamountsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/dj-campbell/12632
6956bear
1:03p, 4/19/24
In reply to stu
stu said:

This season shot .529 overall, .410 on threes at Western Carolina. Also 3.7 rebounds but only 1.5 assists per game. 12 points and 6 rebounds against Notre Dame.

https://catamountsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/dj-campbell/12632
Hard to know how to project this guy. He played on a team with a very ball dominant player in Vonterius Woolbright. Woolbright led the team in scoring (21ppg) rebounds (12pg) and assists (5.6 pg). Very much like Tyson for Cal.

I think Campbell is a decent add but seems more like a 2G or CG than a true PG.
stu
2:00p, 4/19/24
In reply to 6956bear
Yes, hard to project. Also 6'2" 205 lbs is approaching a football build.
6956bear
2:08p, 4/19/24
In reply to stu
stu said:

Cal got pushed around at times last season. This guy should not get pushed around.
RedlessWardrobe
2:16p, 4/19/24
In reply to 6956bear
6956bear said:

stu said:

Cal got pushed around at times last season. This guy should not get pushed around.
I have no problem with anyone who shoots over 40% on threes regardless of the league.

Also, for many years it seems like we get more than our fair share of recruits that are on the thin side. I have no problem with anyone (at any position) who carries a little extra bulk.
stu
2:23p, 4/19/24
In reply to RedlessWardrobe
RedlessWardrobe said:

6956bear said:

stu said:

I have no problem with anyone who shoots over 40% on threes regardless of the league.

Also, for many years it seems like we get more than our fair share of recruits that are on the thin side. I have no problem with anyone (at any position) who carries a little extra bulk.
Does NC State's center DJ Burns have a little brother?
sluggo
2:30p, 4/19/24
Cal finally has its Mike Meadows replacement. I like shooters, and he has good stats and a clean looking shot. He also seems to be able to beat players off the dribble, which is important in Cal's pro offense. He did not shoot a lot, so we will see if he can succeed if he ups his usage rate. I also think his release is a little slow, which may not have mattered where he was, but may where he is going.

Seems like a nice pickup to me.
calumnus
2:35p, 4/19/24
In reply to sluggo
sluggo said:

Cal finally has its Mike Meadows replacement. I like shooters, and he has good stats and a clean looking shot. He also seems to be able to beat players off the dribble, which is important in Cal's pro offense. He did not shoot a lot, so we will see if he can succeed if he ups his usage rate. I also think his release is a little slow, which may not have mattered where he was, but may where he is going.

Seems like a nice pickup to me.

Yes, I like this pick up.
01Bear
5:07p, 4/19/24
RedlessWardrobe said:

6956bear said:

stu said:

League matters. Look at Adam Morrison. In his last season at Gonzaga, he shot 42.8% on 5.2 3s/game (see,
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/adam-morrison-1.html) In the NBA, his first two seasons, he averaged 33.7%, his best 3-pt percentage in the league. Some of the dropoff may be due to the increased distance between the NBA 3-pt line and the college 3-pt line, some of it could be due to his reduced volume, some could be due to loss of confidence (even the yips), but it's likely the step up in play, especially by defenders who are going to be faster to close out on open jumpers.

Now the jump from the Southern Conference to the ACC may not be as large as that of the WCC to the NBA, but there's likely going to be a bit of jump up in competition for the young man. I hope he succeeds and continues to hit threes at a 40%+ clip at Cal. But I suspect his percentage will likely drop a bit.
HoopDreams
6:12p, 4/19/24
3 level scorer with some shake

if he was 2-3 inches taller he would be getting offers from everyone

Welcome to DJ!

calumnus
11:10p, 4/19/24
In reply to HoopDreams
HoopDreams said:

3 level scorer with some shake

if he was 2-3 inches taller he would be getting offers from everyone

Welcome to DJ!

In addition to his height, he showed huge improvement as a sophomore over his freshman year which may indicate he has also improved greatly in skills since high school.

calumnus
11:19p, 4/19/24
In reply to 01Bear
01Bear said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

6956bear said:

stu said:

League matters. Look at Adam Morrison. In his last season at Gonzaga, he shot 42.8% on 5.2 3s/game (see,
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/adam-morrison-1.html) In the NBA, his first two seasons, he averaged 33.7%, his best 3-pt percentage in the league. Some of the dropoff may be due to the increased distance between the NBA 3-pt line and the college 3-pt line, some of it could be due to his reduced volume, some could be due to loss of confidence (even the yips), but it's likely the step up in play, especially by defenders who are going to be faster to close out on open jumpers.

Now the jump from the Southern Conference to the ACC may not be as large as that of the WCC to the NBA, but there's likely going to be a bit of jump up in competition for the young man. I hope he succeeds and continues to hit threes at a 40%+ clip at Cal. But I suspect his percentage will likely drop a bit.

The basket and the court are the same and I would not underestimate the perimeter defense played in "lesser" leagues. Moreover, he appears to have a quick release.

I think the biggest variance for 3Pt % is more dependent on the team and coaching. Mark Few sets screens for 3 pt shooters who cannot get off their own shot. That is why Jordan Mathews went there and lead the National Champions in made 3s, but also was not an NBA player.

Campbell looks like he can create his own shot and shoot off the dribble which is a need in Madsen's NBA style offense. The only doubt might be the greater length of guards in the ACC.

I like this get.
01Bear
12:09a, 4/20/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

01Bear said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

6956bear said:

stu said:

The basket and the court are the same and I would not underestimate the perimeter defense played in "lesser" leagues. Moreover, he appears to have a quick release.

I think the biggest variance for 3Pt % is more dependent on the team and coaching. Mark Few sets screens for 3 pt shooters who cannot get off their own shot. That is why Jordan Mathews went there and lead the National Champions in made 3s, but also was not an NBA player.

Campbell looks like he can create his own shot and shoot off the dribble which is a need in Madsen's NBA style offense. The only doubt might be the greater length of guards in the ACC.

I like this get.

Fair points, especially the one about different offensive systems. That said, it's not uncommon to see "good" shooters who played at lower levels become just "average" (or "below average") shooters at higher levels. I haven't researched this fully, but I'd be surprised if this attributable solely to offensive styles. Again, I suspect level of competition will play a role (especially for guys with slower releases).
calumnus
1:20a, 4/20/24
In reply to 01Bear
01Bear said:

calumnus said:

01Bear said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

6956bear said:

stu said:

I like this get.

Fair points, especially the one about different offensive systems. That said, it's not uncommon to see "good" shooters who played at lower levels become just "average" (or "below average") shooters at higher levels. I haven't researched this fully, but I'd be surprised if this attributable solely to offensive styles. Again, I suspect level of competition will play a role (especially for guys with slower releases).

Agreed. We have seen guys from the Ivy League not be as good of shooters in the PAC-12 largely for that reason. I think the best process is look at the numbers, then view the tape for context.

The big difference is with big men. There are many big guys who dominate smaller guys at lower levels, but struggle against more athletic similar sized guys at higher levels. Also, guards and forwards who make their living driving to the hoop at a lower level but can't shoot, do not generally make it at higher levels unless they develop their shooting too.

So while is is always a question whether a guy will be able to make the jump to a higher level, the guys I am LEAST worried about are great 3 pt shooters with ok height and quick releases.
edwinbear
3:17a, 4/20/24
RedlessWardrobe said:

6956bear said:

stu said:

Yup, didn't seem to hurt Matt Bradley.
RedlessWardrobe
7:14a, 4/20/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

01Bear said:

calumnus said:

01Bear said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

6956bear said:

stu said:

I like this get.

Agreed. We have seen guys from the Ivy League not be as good of shooters in the PAC-12 largely for that reason. I think the best process is look at the numbers, then view the tape for context.

The big difference is with big men. There are many big guys who dominate smaller guys at lower levels, but struggle against more athletic similar sized guys at higher levels. Also, guards and forwards who make their living driving to the hoop at a lower level but can't shoot, do not generally make it at higher levels unless they develop their shooting too.

So while is is always a question whether a guy will be able to make the jump to a higher level, the guys I am LEAST worried about are great 3 pt shooters with ok height and quick releases.

Addressing all of these accurate points. My original statement about DJ's shooting was more about his accuracy. And of all the additional comments about better competition come into play. What we really have to hope for is that MM is able to implement an offense that will give guys like DJ that extra half second to release his three. If we had had more of that this past season my guess is Cone's percentage would have been a lot better, but as everyone has pointed out, our past season offense lacked a true point guard. Let's hope that gets fixed in the upcoming year.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings