Yogi Stewart's son in the Portal
5,093 Views | 30 Replies
Johnfox
10:40a, 4/19/24

BearSD
12:27p, 4/19/24

Quote:

Duke forward Sean Stewart, a former top-20 recruit in the 2023 class, announced Friday that he plans to enter the transfer portal, becoming the seventh Blue Devils player to transfer since the end of the season.
Something is going on at Duke. Dissatisfaction with the coaches?
01Bear
12:59p, 4/19/24
Did Cal recruit him last year? Does anyone think Madsen had a shot at signing him?
WalterSobchak
1:02p, 4/19/24
In reply to 01Bear
01Bear said:

Did Cal recruit him last year? Does anyone think Madsen had a shot at signing him?
According to 247 we never offered (ridiculous IMO) but he committed to Duke before Fox got fired and Madsen was hired so he was never, ever, ever gonna come here under those circumstances. Not sure if we can get on his radar now, or if we can afford him, but it would obviously be great to have him.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
01Bear
1:07p, 4/19/24
In reply to BearSD
BearSD said:

Quote:

Duke forward Sean Stewart, a former top-20 recruit in the 2023 class, announced Friday that he plans to enter the transfer portal, becoming the seventh Blue Devils player to transfer since the end of the season.

It doesn't necessarily have to be that there's a problem at Duke. It could just be that a lot of kids want to test the portal because they can and it could be that lots of kids are trying to get more NIL money.

Look at Cal, there's no scholarship players left on the roster from last year and even some walk-ons have entered the portal. I doubt this was due to dissatisfaction with the coaches, especially since Madsen turned a 3-win team into a competitive team in the Pac-12 in just one year. Sure, some players may have been unhappy with fewer minutes than they'd hoped/expected, but that's unlikely to be locker-room-wide dissatisfaction.

My bet is that most of these kids are testing the waters because they can. The grass is always greener and all that. Once NIL and unlimited transfers are old hat and well-established, I suspect the number of kids heading to the portal each year will substantially decrease. Sure, some players will always transfer in search of more money/playing time, but experience and data will show that the grass isn't always greener.
89Bear
1:09p, 4/19/24
In reply to BearSD
BearSD said:

Quote:

They have the number 1 high school recruiting class coming. Top player in the country...number 9 as well. Are they worried about being recruited over?
01Bear
1:09p, 4/19/24
In reply to WalterSobchak
WalterSobchak said:

01Bear said:

According to 247 we never offered (ridiculous IMO) but he committed to Duke before Fox got fired and Madsen was hired so he was never, ever, ever gonna come here under those circumstances. Not sure if we can get on his radar now, or if we can afford him, but it would obviously be great to have him.

Oops! That was a typo on my part. The question should've been "Does anyone think Madsen has a shot at signing him?"

But it looks like you answered my question anyway.

WalterSobchak
1:23p, 4/19/24
In reply to 01Bear
No worries. I didn't even notice the "had" typo until you pointed it out and was responding to the "Did Cal recruit him" part. I don't think I answered much about our prospects now but thanks. Unless 4thGen chimes in with a "not happening" or he commits elsewhere I'm just gonna proceed like Lloyd Christmas. Would be great if all the Sons of California in the portal would come home.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
6956bear
1:32p, 4/19/24
In reply to 89Bear
89Bear said:

BearSD said:

Quote:

They have the number 1 high school recruiting class coming. Top player in the country...number 9 as well. Are they worried about being recruited over?
Absolutely recruited over. Cooper Flagg #1 recruit plays the same position. They also have 2 other highly rated bigs joining. Mark Mitchell a previous 5 star PF for Duke has already transferred out. I believe Missouri is where he landed.
BC Calfan
1:41p, 4/19/24
WalterSobchak said:

01Bear said:

Yes I recall someone asking Yogi and he said Fox & Staff never reached out. God he sucked.
Basketball Bear
1:44p, 4/19/24
Missouri has hit a home run in the transfer portal, they have landed 4 highly rated recruits so far.
calumnus
2:39p, 4/19/24
In reply to BC Calfan
BC Calfan said:

WalterSobchak said:

01Bear said:

Yes I recall someone asking Yogi and he said Fox & Staff never reached out. God he sucked.

Knowlton and Fox never bothered to learn about our history or reach out to basketball alums. I realize I mentioned Knowlton on the past tense. Make it so.
calumnus
2:44p, 4/19/24
In reply to Basketball Bear
Basketball Bear said:

Missouri has hit a home run in the transfer portal, they have landed 4 highly rated recruits so far.

Madsen is good, but if Knowlton were truly competent Dennis Gates would be our head coach.
calumnus
2:46p, 4/19/24
In reply to 01Bear
01Bear said:

WalterSobchak said:

01Bear said:

Oops! That was a typo on my part. The question should've been "Does anyone think Madsen has a shot at signing him?"

But it looks like you answered my question anyway.

Madsen was a freshman at Stanford when Yogi was a senior at Cal. Both played in the NBA. Probably bumped into each other more than once.
Intuit
2:58p, 4/19/24
Big Dog
6:08p, 4/19/24
In reply to BC Calfan
BC Calfan said:

WalterSobchak said:

01Bear said:

yeah, almost as bad as Sonny not reaching out to some high school coach, named Taylor (something or is that his last name) when he had one of the top QBs in the state?
calumnus
11:47p, 4/19/24
In reply to Big Dog
Big Dog said:

BC Calfan said:

WalterSobchak said:

01Bear said:

yeah, almost as bad as Sonny not reaching out to some high school coach, named Taylor (something or is that his last name) when he had one of the top QBs in the state?

The great Taylor QB at Folsom was Jake Browning, who broke a bunch of passing records (broke the national TD record!), was 4 stars and recruited by all the big programs, went to UW and then to the NFL (undrafted?), According to this article he was recruited by Dykes, and really liked Dykes offense, but the chance to start for Chris Peterson as a true freshman versus sitting behind Jared Goff who had two years of eligibility remaining was too much.

https://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/Washington-s-Jake-Browning-a-QB-in-the-mold-of-6528059.php

The next all - conference QB at Folsom for Taylor following Browning was Jeffries, who graduated in 2016 and went on to play for Cal Poly SLO. Dykes clearly knew who Taylor was, but brought in transfer Davis Webb, who had been the starter at Texas Tech, until supplanted by Patrick Mahomes. Webb put up big numbers for us and has had an NFL career. Dykes brought in two 4 star HS recruits, Viramantes and Gilliam, The next year he got a commitment from another 4 star, Chase Garbers, who renewed his commitment and signed with Wilcox.

So no, Fox not recruiting Stewart was not "almost as bad" as Dykes not offering Jeffries, who may have gotten a walk on offer for all we know.
4thGenCal
5:53p, 4/20/24
WalterSobchak said:

No worries. I didn't even notice the "had" typo until you pointed it out and was responding to the "Did Cal recruit him" part. I don't think I answered much about our prospects now but thanks. Unless 4thGen chimes in with a "not happening" or he commits elsewhere I'm just gonna proceed like Lloyd Christmas. Would be great if all the Sons of California in the portal would come home.
Staff is talking with Sean Stewart, Andraj S/brother/Dad has had a very good visit with the staff today- but many schools (including Stanford) are pushing very hard to get him. Guess is slightly better than 50/50. Mahaney visiting UConn on Wed - its tough for all coaches with so much courting going on. Pippen was down to us and Michigan - and the breaker for him was the facilities/ support (practice facility was important and the quality of weight training, nutrition program, Arena, ). NIL, playing time, and being on a winning team are the 3 leading factors, but Administration support of hoops and housing are certainly factored in as well. Pope who would be a Great get. is very likely just too expensive to put together. Have not heard anything up to date on Celestine, but likely moving on is the general feel. Staff doing a very good job thus far, but now the difference makers are needed to close out the remaining slots on the roster.
89Bear
6:44p, 4/20/24
In reply to 4thGenCal
4thGenCal said:

WalterSobchak said:

Staff is talking with Sean Stewart, Andraj S/brother/Dad has had a very good visit with the staff today- but many schools (including Stanford) are pushing very hard to get him. Guess is slightly better than 50/50. Mahaney visiting UConn on Wed - its tough for all coaches with so much courting going on. Pippen was down to us and Michigan - and the breaker for him was the facilities/ support (practice facility was important and the quality of weight training, nutrition program, Arena, ). NIL, playing time, and being on a winning team are the 3 leading factors, but Administration support of hoops and housing are certainly factored in as well. Pope who would be a Great get. is very likely just too expensive to put together. Have not heard anything up to date on Celestine, but likely moving on is the general feel. Staff doing a very good job thus far, but now the difference makers are needed to close out the remaining slots on the roster.
4th, I know you have done a crazy amount on housing. Do the recruits and their families feel like we are competitive there right now, or do we still have a lot of work to do in that regard?
Thanks for all that you have done!!!
Bobodeluxe
7:32p, 4/20/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

Big Dog said:

BC Calfan said:

WalterSobchak said:

01Bear said:

The great Taylor QB at Folsom was Jake Browning, who broke a bunch of passing records (broke the national TD record!), was 4 stars and recruited by all the big programs, went to UW and then to the NFL (undrafted?), According to this article he was recruited by Dykes, and really liked Dykes offense, but the chance to start for Chris Peterson as a true freshman versus sitting behind Jared Goff who had two years of eligibility remaining was too much.

https://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/Washington-s-Jake-Browning-a-QB-in-the-mold-of-6528059.php

The next all - conference QB at Folsom for Taylor following Browning was Jeffries, who graduated in 2016 and went on to play for Cal Poly SLO. Dykes clearly knew who Taylor was, but brought in transfer Davis Webb, who had been the starter at Texas Tech, until supplanted by Patrick Mahomes. Webb put up big numbers for us and has had an NFL career. Dykes brought in two 4 star HS recruits, Viramantes and Gilliam, The next year he got a commitment from another 4 star, Chase Garbers, who renewed his commitment and signed with Wilcox.

So no, Fox not recruiting Stewart was not "almost as bad" as Dykes not offering Jeffries, who may have gotten a walk on offer for all we know.
How dare you contradict the Sonny hate!

lol
Johnfox
8:25p, 4/20/24
In reply to 4thGenCal
Who do you think is the most realistic guy that we are going to get. Stojakovic? Stewart?
WalterSobchak
8:30p, 4/20/24
In reply to 4thGenCal
Thanks for the update. Exciting stuff.

4thGenCal
10:43p, 4/20/24
In reply to 89Bear
89Bear said:

4thGenCal said:

WalterSobchak said:

4th, I know you have done a crazy amount on housing. Do the recruits and their families feel like we are competitive there right now, or do we still have a lot of work to do in that regard?
Thanks for all that you have done!!!
Thank you - its the best way for me to give back. Basketball housing - at least on the west coast, is at the top for comparing the leading programs. Definitely when the families join their Son on the recruiting trip/campus tour etc they are extremely impressed and the staff believes they have a definite recruiting advantage with the quality housing for the program. Stanford is different in that all students are guaranteed dorm housing for all 4 years. However that gets old after a couple of years. At Cal the University administration "strongly encourage" dorm housing for all incoming freshman - that decree is not absolute (Jalen Brown and Ivan Raab petitioned for the basketball cottages housing) however the athletic dept only has so many bullets to use with the University and thus its very rare for freshmen to live initially with their teammates outside of the dorms. Football housing is more acute, given the large #'s needed to find convenient, affordable and quality housing in Berkeley. We have started a housing push with a few "Football Houses" but many more are needed.
3Cats4CAL
11:52p, 4/20/24
Listening to the interview with NC Coach and him admitting that Andrej would be a backup and just have his game grow and not as a starter would make me hope that if he sees that interview he would eliminate NC.
hoop97
12:57a, 4/21/24
Johnfox
6:53a, 4/21/24
In reply to 3Cats4CAL
I also heard from some Kentucky fans that they view Stojakovic at a 6th man or, not at the top of their transfer portal targets.
Johnfox
6:54a, 4/21/24
In reply to hoop97
Is Lee dort going to be our big man?
6956bear
7:56a, 4/21/24
In reply to Johnfox
Johnfox said:

Seems very possible. Good big men cost money. Right now it does not appear that Cal has enough in the NIL warchest to get a good big man. Dort is a low floor- high ceiling sort. Could develop and be pretty good, or not. Has tools. Needs to learn how to use them. I do not expect that in year 1 he suddenly becomes a player Cal can use 30+ minutes a night to good effect.

After Dort is Curtis and Larsen. The need to find another post is huge. Dort must face some real competition.
Basketball Bear
4:27p, 4/22/24
Best not to get hopes too high for Stewart. He has many suitors calling.
  • Indiana
  • Kentucky
  • Arkansas
  • USC
  • Florida State
  • Cincinnati
  • Georgetown
  • Arizona State
  • Miami
  • Michigan
  • Ohio State
  • Baylor
  • Texas A&M
  • Tennessee
  • Vanderbilt
  • Cal
  • Stanford
  • South Carolina
  • Washington

calumnus
5:11p, 4/22/24
In reply to 6956bear
6956bear said:

Johnfox said:

Seems very possible. Good big men cost money. Right now it does not appear that Cal has enough in the NIL warchest to get a good big man. Dort is a low floor- high ceiling sort. Could develop and be pretty good, or not. Has tools. Needs to learn how to use them. I do not expect that in year 1 he suddenly becomes a player Cal can use 30+ minutes a night to good effect.

After Dort is Curtis and Larsen. The need to find another post is huge. Dort must face some real competition.

Larsen is in the portal. The need to find another post is huger.
oskidunker
3:27p, 4/23/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

6956bear said:

Johnfox said:

Larsen is in the portal. The need to find another post is huger.
bobby Huggins?
Go Bears!
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode