Madsen to BYU?
6,268 Views | 56 Replies
bearsandgiants
2:35p, 4/12/24
In reply to CalBearinLA
CalBearinLA said:

bearsandgiants said:

Are we really at the stage where we can't even hold onto coaches who underperform?

I'd love to see how amazing you are jumping into a new job that was a dumpster fire and how quickly you turn things around at a place with so many systemic issues

You aren't proving a point, just showing ignorance

There was no point to prove. Just venting that losing a coach after one year would be typical of that very dumpster fire. I've been a huge backer of Madsen. I am disappointed in our potential and the complete collapse to end the season, though. It's a fair criticism. I've also been a huge backer of Lyons for chancellor. I follow both Lyons and Madsen on Twitter and posted the good Madsen news above (albeit a both as someone has started a new thread already). I'm happy
calumnus
3:55p, 4/12/24
In reply to parentswerebears
parentswerebears said:

This was a classic " because he's LDS" bit of crap. Like there is no other considerations besides religion. Like he doesn't have a brain of his own.

For BYU "because he's LDS" is not crap. It is huge for them. People saying he was BYU's top target were very likely correct. Certainly he was the top candidate on the BYU fan boards. Tom Holmoe undoubtedly reached out. As I have been saying all along, I thought it would come down to how well his wife and family are adapting to and enjoying the Bay Area vs being homesick for Provo. Madsen's tweet directly answered that question without mentioning BYU which was very classy.
parentswerebears
4:01p, 4/12/24
In reply to calumnus
It may not be crap, but it is really presumptuous of both BYU and the media to think he'd want to be there.
Alkiadt
4:26p, 4/12/24
parentswerebears said:

It may not be crap, but it is really presumptuous of both BYU and the media to think he'd want to be there.

True.

calumnus
7:18p, 4/12/24
parentswerebears said:

It is pretty much THEIR requirement. They just lost Pope who is LDS but played for Kentucky. They know they don't get and keep all LDS players and coaches. The fan boards were hoping that BYU would be able to throw a lot of money Madsen's way to convince him. Some even said they should earmark Pope's tithe on his Kentucky salary to help pay for it. If anything their arrogance is that they think BYU/Big12 is better or at least comparable to Cal/ACC.
parentswerebears
7:23p, 4/12/24
The thing about LDS is that they theme to have high moral values and Madsen seems no exception. It is really dishonorable to sign a new contract and then jet for more money. And I kind of think that anyone on the inside at BYU would know that and not really even have him on the list. I think it is the media that lumped him in and THAT is what I think is so presumptuous. And that is why Madsen felt he had to comment because he knew that the media would automatically do what they did.
Bobodeluxe
7:51p, 4/12/24
parentswerebears said:

The thing about LDS is that they theme to have high moral values and Madsen seems no exception. It is really dishonorable to sign a new contract and then jet for more money. And I kind of think that anyone on the inside at BYU would know that and not really even have him on the list. I think it is the media that lumped him in and THAT is what I think is so presumptuous. And that is why Madsen felt he had to comment because he knew that the media would automatically do what they did.
It is not dishonorable to leave a new contract if the price were paid. It's just business.
parentswerebears
9:42p, 4/12/24
In reply to Bobodeluxe
Bobodeluxe said:

parentswerebears said:

It is not dishonorable to leave a new contract if the price were paid. It's just business.

That is where I disagree. It's not just about money and what Madsen (or anyone) can get out of it. It's not just business, it's reputation. It's putting your moral best foot forward, it's doing right by a university and a fan base. It's about finishing something you started.

My point, though is that the media tried to drum up a story because of a religious narrative that they think will sell. Madsen wasn't having it.
calumnus
10:05p, 4/12/24
parentswerebears said:

Bobodeluxe said:

parentswerebears said:

That is where I disagree. It's not just about money and what Madsen (or anyone) can get out of it. It's not just business, it's reputation. It's putting your moral best foot forward, it's doing right by a university and a fan base. It's about finishing something you started.

My point, though is that the media tried to drum up a story because of a religious narrative that they think will sell. Madsen wasn't having it.

"The media" wasn't "drumming up" anything. BYU fans really wanted Madsen. Madsen was reportedly and undoubtedly really was BYU's first choice. Why wouldn't he be? Who else? I have no doubt Tom Holmoe reached out. No doubt. He would be derelict in his duty if he did not and while Holmoe was a bad HC, he is not Knowlton, he is a very good AD.

As I said, it would come down to how well Madsen's wife and family were adapting and enjoying the Bay Area versus being homesick for Provo. And that is EXACTLY the question Madsen answered in his tweet. His wife and family are very happy and are enjoying the Bay Area. All this stuff about Madsen's "honor" would be irrelevant if his wife and family were miserable here. Because, if anything, his honor and duty is to his family first. Look at his Xitter bio "Husband and father. Cal head coach." Notice which comes first. His wife and family are happy, so he is happy, they are staying.

Now that the Stanford and BYU hurdles are past I think Cal fans can rest assured Madsen will be staying as long as we want him to stay.
parentswerebears
10:26p, 4/12/24
It never hurts to ask, I suppose.
concordtom
7:21a, 4/13/24
In reply to wifeisafurd
wifeisafurd said:

He is a couple months from being an ACC coach, which in men's basketball is the equivalent of saying you just got named a SEC head coach on the football side. Win at that level and you become basketball royalty.

That's a pretty strong point!
BC Calfan
11:23a, 4/16/24
Seems like BYU could have handled Madsen's buyout with what they spent on their new coach. BTW Young (any relation to Brigham?) was one of the top assistants in the NBA and was in line for a head gig---so appears to be a very strong hire for them.

barsad
12:48p, 4/16/24
Madsen stays. Period. We should not be worrying every year about a Madsen exit, we should be worried about the lack of five players we can put on the court.
calumnus
2:21p, 4/16/24
In reply to BC Calfan
BC Calfan said:

Seems like BYU could have handled Madsen's buyout with what they spent on their new coach. BTW Young (any relation to Brigham?) was one of the top assistants in the NBA and was in line for a head gig---so appears to be a very strong hire for them.

Yes, they could have largely handled Madsen's buyout with the money they got for Pope's buyout.

Kevin Young
https://www.deseret.com/sports/2024/04/16/who-is-new-byu-head-coach-kevin-young/

Yes, he's LDS, yes, he is almost certainly related to Brigham Young and Steve Young.

Again, Madsen is staying primarily because his wife and family are happy here. Now that we are past the Stanford and BYU test, there will not be another serious challenge he might have considered until/if those jobs open again. If Madsen is a still a desirable candidate 5 years from now it will because he has been a success at Cal (winning records, NCAA Tournament appearances), which will be a GREAT thing. Madsen leaving is now a 0% concern. Madsen succeeding is 100% the focus now.
BC Calfan
6:02p, 4/18/24
I like how Fox's 2 gigs after Cal both had qualifiers. At Georgetown it was "non-coaching" and at Kentucky it would be "non-recruiting". Weird huh? BTW the connection to Pope is that he hired him as an assistant at Georgia.

calumnus
7:03p, 4/18/24
In reply to BC Calfan
BC Calfan said:

I like how Fox's 2 gigs after Cal both had qualifiers. At Georgetown it was "non-coaching" and at Kentucky it would be "non-recruiting". Weird huh? BTW the connection to Pope is that he hired him as an assistant at Georgia.

"Bruiser-type, non-recruiting role" was what he was at Cal.

Opposite of what I would want as a coach. And what value can that provide as a assistant?

4thGenCal
7:38p, 4/18/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

parentswerebears said:

Bobodeluxe said:

parentswerebears said:

"The media" wasn't "drumming up" anything. BYU fans really wanted Madsen. Madsen was reportedly and undoubtedly really was BYU's first choice. Why wouldn't he be? Who else? I have no doubt Tom Holmoe reached out. No doubt. He would be derelict in his duty if he did not and while Holmoe was a bad HC, he is not Knowlton, he is a very good AD.

As I said, it would come down to how well Madsen's wife and family were adapting and enjoying the Bay Area versus being homesick for Provo. And that is EXACTLY the question Madsen answered in his tweet. His wife and family are very happy and are enjoying the Bay Area. All this stuff about Madsen's "honor" would be irrelevant if his wife and family were miserable here. Because, if anything, his honor and duty is to his family first. Look at his Xitter bio "Husband and father. Cal head coach." Notice which comes first. His wife and family are happy, so he is happy, they are staying.

Now that the Stanford and BYU hurdles are past I think Cal fans can rest assured Madsen will be staying as long as we want him to stay.
Very true - Holmoe reached out (as He should) and it was a very short (respectful) conversation. His family is very comfortable here and that coupled with Madsen's word and acceptance of the challenge ahead of him at Cal meant He is committed here.
Eastern Oregon Bear
7:43p, 4/18/24
I checked out a Georgetown board and a Kentucky board. Nobody is saying anything about Fox, either positive or negative. That shows how much of a non-entity Fox was after leaving Cal. When the news in the above tweet was posted on the Kentucky board, they referred to him as ex-Georgia coach Mark Fox. That's probably good from Cal's point of view.
calumnus
3:10p, 4/19/24
In reply to Eastern Oregon Bear
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

I checked out a Georgetown board and a Kentucky board. Nobody is saying anything about Fox, either positive or negative. That shows how much of a non-entity Fox was after leaving Cal. When the news in the above tweet was posted on the Kentucky board, they referred to him as ex-Georgia coach Mark Fox. That's probably good from Cal's point of view.

It would be better if somehow our buyout were reduced or refunded.

Fox in charge of NIL/recruiting was laughable. He is getting the Kentucky job with Pope as part of the good ole boy network. Crazy that already multimillionaire failure, "Bruiser types" like Fox get these jobs instead of more deserving up and coming young coaches.
Eastern Oregon Bear
3:45p, 4/19/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Fox in charge of NIL/recruiting was laughable. He is getting the Kentucky job with Pope as part of the good ole boy network. Crazy that already multimillionaire failure, "Bruiser types" like Fox get these jobs instead of more deserving up and coming young coaches.
I agree. However, I did see a claim on the Hoya board that they had a top 5 NIL budget for basketball and mentioned $4 million. I assumed it was hype or collected before Fox's hiring or collected by others despite Fox's presence. They may have already established a network of whales willing to dip into their deep pockets each year.

One thing is clear. Fox may be awful dealing with the public, but he's outstanding in the old boy network. After Georgia, he got a cushy job with the US Olympic Basketball team. Since Cal, he quickly got hired by Georgetown to a job without much heavy lifting and now to a low profile coaching gig at Kentucky where he won't have deal with recruiting or the press. He knows how to work his connections.
BC Calfan
3:52p, 4/19/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

BTW, I realized that the "Bruiser" term was in reference to Bruiser Flint who was an assistant under Calipari. A former head coach for many years that became an assistant like Fox is doing.
calumnus
10:56p, 4/19/24
In reply to BC Calfan
BC Calfan said:

calumnus said:

BTW, I realized that the "Bruiser" term was in reference to Bruiser Flint who was an assistant under Calipari. A former head coach for many years that became an assistant like Fox is doing.

Lol. Thanks for clearing that up.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off