Devin Askew is in portal
3,174 Views | 17 Replies
Basketball Bear
3:28p, 3/18/24
Bleacher Reports says he is gone. His first year was at Kentucky, next to Texas and last two years here. His first year with us he averaged 15 points a game and then had surgery during the season. This year he started the first 3 games and got injured again with his foot. Wish him the best. He looked involved at first on the bench and then faded toward the end.
oskidunker
3:53p, 3/18/24
In reply to Basketball Bear
Basketball Bear said:

Bleacher Reports says he is gone. His first year was at Kentucky, next to Texas and last two years here. His first year with us he averaged 15 points a game and then had surgery during the season. This year he started the first 3 games and got injured again with his foot. Wish him the best. He looked involved at first on the bench and then faded toward the end.

Good. He will probably end up in a non power 4 place
Go Bears!
calumnus
4:08p, 3/18/24
In reply to oskidunker
oskidunker said:

Basketball Bear said:

Basketball got him a Cal degree paid for, now he can get a grad degree somewhere.
westcoastdude
4:09p, 3/18/24
I wish him the best, but Cal played better basketball this season after he was injured.
Big C
5:13p, 3/18/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

Basketball Bear said:

Basketball got him a Cal degree paid for, now he can get a grad degree somewhere.

Confirmed that he's graduating from Cal? That would be great. He came here and gave it his best shot, under some trying circumstances (the coach whose name I need not mention anymore), including injuries.

Best wishes, Dev, you'll always be a Golden Bear!
calumnus
9:01p, 3/18/24
In reply to Big C
Big C said:

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

Basketball Bear said:

Confirmed that he's graduating from Cal? That would be great. He came here and gave it his best shot, under some trying circumstances (the coach whose name I need not mention anymore), including injuries.

Shocky or 4th can confirm, but this is his 3rd transfer after 4 years of college so it only makes sense for this to be a grad transfer with a Cal degree in hand. Or will be in hand by the time he arrives at his next destination.
Big C
9:35p, 3/18/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

Basketball Bear said:

Shocky or 4th can confirm, but this is his 3rd transfer after 4 years of college so it only makes sense for this to be a grad transfer with a Cal degree in hand. Or will be in hand by the time he arrives at his next destination.

Probably, but who knows anymore, nowadays. The old rules are pretty much out the window, especially if you have a lawyer. Anyway, what I hope he has is a diploma!
calumnus
10:01p, 3/18/24
In reply to Big C
Big C said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

Basketball Bear said:

Probably, but who knows anymore, nowadays. The old rules are pretty much out the window, especially if you have a lawyer. Anyway, what I hope he has is a diploma!

Yeah, it is possible he still believes he will be a pro and the degree doesn't matter, but his mom is a Cal alum doctor in Sacramento and I will bet she made sure he was going to get his Cal degree. Though I guess transferring to UC Davis or UC San Diego or an Ivy to play and get a degree might make sense.
01Bear
5:18p, 3/19/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

Basketball Bear said:

Yeah, it is possible he still believes he will be a pro and the degree doesn't matter, but his mom is a Cal alum doctor in Sacramento and I will bet she made sure he was going to get his Cal degree. Though I guess transferring to UC Davis or UC San Diego or an Ivy to play and get a degree might make sense.

This isn't meant to be a criticism of Devin Askew (I'm grateful to him for playing for Cal, even if it didn't always work out as well as everyone hoped), but I don't think he has NBA-level abilities/skills/talent. He can probably make a really good living playing professional basketball overseas and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that (there are some really good pro league out there). Heck, he'll be living the dream of being paid to play basketball and he'll be able to travel the world while doing it!

I wish Devin the best as he moves on to the next step of his basketball journey.
calumnus
6:27p, 3/19/24
In reply to 01Bear
01Bear said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

Basketball Bear said:

This isn't meant to be a criticism of Devin Askew (I'm grateful to him for playing for Cal, even if it didn't always work out as well as everyone hoped), but I don't think he has NBA-level abilities/skills/talent. He can probably make a really good living playing professional basketball overseas and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that (there are some really good pro league out there). Heck, he'll be living the dream of being paid to play basketball and he'll be able to travel the world while doing it!

I wish Devin the best as he moves on to the next step of his basketball journey.

Possibly, though there are a lot of really good guards in the world who don't make the NBA. In any case, whether he plays one more year or ten, it is unlikely he retires from basketball wealthy and it would behoove him to be able to fall back on a Cal degree plus a grad degree from his next school. I think his Cal alum mom would emphasize that so I am guessing that is what he is doing.
01Bear
8:34p, 3/19/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

01Bear said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

Basketball Bear said:

Possibly, though there are a lot of really good guards in the world who don't make the NBA. In any case, whether he plays one more year or ten, it is unlikely he retires from basketball wealthy and it would behoove him to be able to fall back on a Cal degree plus a grad degree from his next school. I think his Cal alum mom would emphasize that so I am guessing that is what he is doing.

Agreed.
4thGenCal
9:52p, 3/19/24
In reply to Big C
Big C said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

Basketball Bear said:

Did graduate and technically has 2 years of eligibility left.
brevity
6:23p, 4/27/24
Update: On3 is reporting that Devin Askew is transferring to Long Beach State.
Civil Bear
6:46p, 4/27/24
In reply to brevity
brevity said:

Wow, Kentucky to Texas to Cal to Long Beach State. What's next? Div II?
bearister
7:27p, 4/27/24
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
HoopDreams
8:06p, 4/27/24
Good luck to him
calumnus
12:46a, 4/28/24
In reply to Civil Bear
Civil Bear said:

brevity said:

I was more surprised on the academic side since he will be a grad student, so why not a UC or Ivy? but I looked it up and Long Beach State actually has a lot of graduate programs. That wasn't the case back in the day. His academic record having attended three schools while playing basketball (sport with worst logistics from an academic standpoint) may be tough for admission to a competitive graduate program.
01Bear
5:49p, 4/28/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

Civil Bear said:

brevity said:

I was more surprised on the academic side since he will be a grad student, so why not a UC or Ivy? but I looked it up and Long Beach State actually has a lot of graduate programs. That wasn't the case back in the day. His academic record having attended three schools while playing basketball (sport with worst logistics from an academic standpoint) may be tough for admission to a competitive graduate program.

It's already tough enough to get accepted to a top graduate program directly from Cal undergraduate. Cal's undergraduate programs are no joke. In many ways, they're more competitive and challenging than many grad school programs. But it also means that otherwise some top notch students won't have the grades (thanks to the mandatory grade curve at Cal) to get into a top tier graduate program.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings