OT: Behind the scenes for NBA media rights and College Football Implications
454 Views | 4 Replies
golden sloth
3:33p, 5/8/24
I'm abroad stuck at my hotel during a torrential downpour, so I listened to this podcast on the NBA media rights. It is only tangentially related to college football, but there is some discussion about how media companies approach media rights. A few of the interesting points:

1. There are event sports and inventory sports (I feel college football has both, but unfortunately Cal falls into the inventory side of things).
2. Company's are paying more money but wanting less product (this seems contradictory).
3. Personalities matter more than the baseline math sometimes.
4. The NFL is being the big bully in the room and taking everyone else's big ticket big profit holidays (NBA Christmas, Black Friday for college football, etc.).
5. At 46:10 a great tangent on how all reported media rating numbers are fake now.

Listening to this really makes me wonder how the hell the Pac-12 could have gone under. Terrible leadership.

BearSD
4:49p, 5/8/24
In reply to golden sloth
Quote:

4. The NFL is being the big bully in the room and taking everyone else's big ticket big profit holidays (NBA Christmas, Black Friday for college football, etc.).
Yeah, the NFL is doing a lot of that. They go head-to-head with everyone else's events to claim as many days as possible for themselves. Add MLB playoffs and World Series to that list, and Thursday night football -- remember when the only televised Thursday football games were college games?

The NFL is also going to play games on the same Saturday as the first round of the 12-team college football playoff.
BarcaBear
4:33p, 5/9/24
In reply to golden sloth
golden sloth said:

I'm abroad stuck at my hotel during a torrential downpour, so I listened to this podcast on the NBA media rights. It is only tangentially related to college football, but there is some discussion about how media companies approach media rights. A few of the interesting points:

1. There are event sports and inventory sports (I feel college football has both, but unfortunately Cal falls into the inventory side of things).
2. Company's are paying more money but wanting less product (this seems contradictory).
5. At 46:10 a great tangent on how all reported media rating numbers are fake now.

Listening to this really makes me wonder how the hell the Pac-12 could have gone under. Terrible leadership.

it is not a matter of leadership, as much as people hate the incompetence.
the threat of the streaming giants looms over all sports.
Unless TNT puts up ridiculous money the contract for regular season NBA is going to Amazon.

The Apple Deal that didn't go through scared the big archaic sports networks (Fox, ESPN). the dissolution of the Pac-12 was about archaic networks fighting to shut the door on streaming giants stepping in and undermining their monopoly of the industry by shelling out inflated contracts for SEC and Big 10. If the Pac-12 had gone Apple that would have led to the Big 12, MWC, and the rest eventually joining because ESPN and Fox don't have the massive reach of the streaming giants.

sidenote: imagine if Netflix jumped in and decided to stream live sports like they started streaming live events?

if ESPN doesn't exercise its option on the ACC (i forget if that is 2025 or 2027), then Netflix, Apple, and Amazon are going to go hard after the ACC.
mbBear
12:37p, 5/10/24
In reply to BarcaBear
BarcaBear said:

golden sloth said:

Unless TNT puts up ridiculous money the contract for regular season NBA is going to Amazon.

The Apple Deal that didn't go through scared the big archaic sports networks (Fox, ESPN). the dissolution of the Pac-12 was about archaic networks fighting to shut the door on streaming giants stepping in and undermining their monopoly of the industry by shelling out inflated contracts for SEC and Big 10. If the Pac-12 had gone Apple that would have led to the Big 12, MWC, and the rest eventually joining because ESPN and Fox don't have the massive reach of the streaming giants.

sidenote: imagine if Netflix jumped in and decided to stream live sports like they started streaming live events?

if ESPN doesn't exercise its option on the ACC (i forget if that is 2025 or 2027), then Netflix, Apple, and Amazon are going to go hard after the ACC.
Amazon might also get part of the package, but NBC is the big obstacle for WBD (TNT) right now...
BearSD
2:19p, 5/10/24
In reply to mbBear
mbBear said:

BarcaBear said:

golden sloth said:

Amazon might also get part of the package, but NBC is the big obstacle for WBD (TNT) right now...
Re Netflix: The rumor is that Netflix is going to stream an NFL doubleheader on Xmas day. They can easily afford to buy many more big events in live sports if they want.

Re TNT: NBC is offering so much more than TNT wants to pay because NBC wants games for their streaming service Peacock. There is new speculation that WBD/TNT may try to keep a piece of the pie by exercising their right of first refusal to knock Amazon out of the picture, rather than NBC, leaving the NBA with ESPN/ABC, NBC/Peacock, and TNT/Max.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings