OT: Top Dog on Center Street is closing forever today
7,029 Views | 100 Replies
cal83dls79
9:43a, 5/7/24
In reply to bearister
bearister said:

I had a dream last week about a Top Dog chasing a glazed donut through the Caldecott Tunnel.

Anyone into dream interpretation?
slightly different than MLK, dream speach but revelatory
BearBoarBlarney
10:17a, 5/7/24
In reply to MSaviolives
MSaviolives said:

bearister said:

I had a dream last week about a Top Dog chasing a glazed donut through the Caldecott Tunnel.

Anyone into dream interpretation?
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

Very well played, MSaviolives. And probably the safest response possible given the dream in question.
SoFlaBear
11:03a, 5/7/24
In reply to bear2034
Louisiana Hot with the Spicy Russian Mustard - absolute Ambrosia!
bearister
11:10a, 5/7/24
I am no Dane Cook, so I have to admit to stealing a joke. My alleged dream was lifted from a Robert Klein bit 50 years ago:

"In the fifties I had dreams about touching a naked woman and she would turn to bronze or the dream about hot dogs chasing donuts through the Lincoln Tunnel."
-Robert Klein

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
wifeisafurd
12:35p, 5/7/24
Article says Top Dog is just closing temporary and will be part of a new building being constructed.

https://sfgate.com/food/article/top-dog-berkeley-closed-19442353.php?utm_campaign=CMS%20Sharing%20Tools%20(Premium)&utm_source=share-by-email&utm_medium=email

The iconic hot dog eatery's building is slated to be razed for a new high-rise.
calumnus
2:03p, 5/7/24
In reply to wifeisafurd
wifeisafurd said:

Article says Top Dog is just closing temporary and will be part of a new building being constructed.

https://sfgate.com/food/article/top-dog-berkeley-closed-19442353.php?utm_campaign=CMS%20Sharing%20Tools%20(Premium)&utm_source=share-by-email&utm_medium=email

Yes. The OP thread title is not correct. Top Dog will return to Center Street when the new building is completed.
cal83dls79
2:23p, 5/7/24
Cal Alum has insane cal knowledge although I have an Oski story …so in any event oski should be like 5'5" …somewhere Oski became like 6'5.
bear2034
3:49p, 5/7/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

wifeisafurd said:

Yes. The OP thread title is not correct. Top Dog will return to Center Street when the new building is completed.

New monster building on Center St.
JimSox
3:57p, 5/7/24
In reply to bear2034
bear2034 said:

calumnus said:

wifeisafurd said:

Well that's gonna take a while. What a monstrosity!
SBGold
4:01p, 5/7/24
In reply to bearister
bearister said:

I am no Dane Cook, so I have to admit to stealing a joke. My alleged dream was lifted from a Robert Klein bit 50 years ago:

"In the fifties I had dreams about touching a naked woman and she would turn to bronze or the dream about hot dogs chasing donuts through the Lincoln Tunnel."
-Robert Klein

Was it a King Pin glazed?
calumnus
5:08p, 5/7/24
In reply to JimSox
JimSox said:

bear2034 said:

calumnus said:

wifeisafurd said:

The housing is needed, but it is going to obstruct some Bay views from campus.
HearstMining
5:54p, 5/7/24
In reply to wifeisafurd
wifeisafurd said:

Comment from one of the owners in the SFGate article: "Downtown Berkeley is really almost nothing but a ghost town right now."

Does this mean it's gotten even worse? I know I've ranted about this before, but I grew up in Berkeley during the 1960s-1970s when Berkeley's downtown had everything you could want: hardware stores, sporting goods, toys, men's and women's clothing, Edy's, Palmer's, the movie theaters, furniture, etc. As a kid, it was rare that I didn't bump into somebody or their parent or sibling when I went downtown. I've only been in town occasionally since the early 1980s, but it's honestly seemed like a ghost town since then, but apparently it's even worse. Any opinions on why this is the case? Upper Shattuck (gourmet ghetto) seems healthy and vibrant.

As an aside, does anybody remember the Top Dog on Shattuck just south of University serving apple pie? I seem to recall it was very good and very cheap. If I missed the #7 bus and had to wait another twenty minutes, it was a pleasant diversion, along with the magazine rack in Palmers.

EDIT - I just thought of one of the reasons: Amazon. But still, downtown Berkeley was headed downhill long before that.
bearister
6:18p, 5/7/24
In reply to HearstMining
Berkeley has turned into the Wild West like Oakland (except less murders). Shootings, carjackings, store thefts and car burglaries all in broad daylight.
Read a few of the stories on Berkeley Scanner, run by Cal grad Emelie Raguso. I check in with her website a few times a week.

The Berkeley Scanner: Independent daily crime and safety news

https://www.berkeleyscanner.com/
ducky23
2:23p, 5/9/24
This man is a god

bear2034
2:32p, 5/9/24
In reply to ducky23
ducky23 said:

This man is a god
operbear
5:17p, 5/9/24
In reply to MSaviolives
MSaviolives said:

cal83dls79 said:

MSaviolives said:

Big C said:

BearBoarBlarney said:

Big C said:

La Val's closed?!? I was just there in November...

I think @cal83dls79 was referring to the old La Val's on Durant, in that same complex that used to have a Tower Records. I think the southside La Val's close in the late-90's/early-00's. Pretty sure northside La Val's is going strong, as their website is active and accepting orders.

I don't recall a "Cheshire Cat" in Berkeley, however. And I'm old having graduated in the early nineties.

What I'd give to be as "old" as you (I got maybe a dozen years on you)...

Cheshire Cat was disgusting, maybe in a good way, depending on your POV... it was right near N, side LaVal's, maybe in the same alcove. On Thursday's, they had 99 cent pitchers of PBR and the pitchers were pretty big, at that. I don't know anyone that ever went there except Thursdays. The men's room was dark... and you were glad it was, the floor was all sticky. You had to decide if washing your hands after you peed would improve your hygiene situation, or make it worse. Probably the latter, as the sink was only semi-functional and there were no paper towels.

No surprise that Cheshire Cat didn't last until the '90s.
I literally saw dudes pissing in that sink when there was a line up at the urinals
my bad
To be fair, this isn't the only place I have seen dudes pissing in sinks. Maybe we should start a thread on "things I have witnessed in public bathrooms."
Monkey Inn, back in the 60s. Everything bad you ever thought of, and then some. The classic: a party of 6, 3 Coeds and many pitchers. One of the Coeds asks if. it is raining - down her leg.
Operbear
cal83dls79
5:33p, 5/9/24
In reply to HearstMining
HearstMining said:

wifeisafurd said:

Comment from one of the owners in the SFGate article: "Downtown Berkeley is really almost nothing but a ghost town right now."

Does this mean it's gotten even worse? I know I've ranted about this before, but I grew up in Berkeley during the 1960s-1970s when Berkeley's downtown had everything you could want: hardware stores, sporting goods, toys, men's and women's clothing, Edy's, Palmer's, the movie theaters, furniture, etc. As a kid, it was rare that I didn't bump into somebody or their parent or sibling when I went downtown. I've only been in town occasionally since the early 1980s, but it's honestly seemed like a ghost town since then, but apparently it's even worse. Any opinions on why this is the case? Upper Shattuck (gourmet ghetto) seems healthy and vibrant.

As an aside, does anybody remember the Top Dog on Shattuck just south of University serving apple pie? I seem to recall it was very good and very cheap. If I missed the #7 bus and had to wait another twenty minutes, it was a pleasant diversion, along with the magazine rack in Palmers.

EDIT - I just thought of one of the reasons: Amazon. But still, downtown Berkeley was headed downhill long before that.
it's not a ghost town. If you were there in the 80s it was a mess. They have replaced lots of vacant lots and car showrooms with high end apartments and health clubs. King Dong survives however
bearsandgiants
5:43p, 5/9/24
Story I read in the chronicle said it MIGHT come back. Stuff is going into storage and they may bring it back or open a different location, but they're in their mid-80s (the owners) and aren't sure, but they'd like to see it open again.
MoragaBear
Staff
6:00p, 5/9/24
In reply to cal83dls79
cal83dls79 said:

HearstMining said:

wifeisafurd said:

it's not a ghost town. If you were there in the 80s it was a mess. They have replaced lots of vacant lots and car showrooms with high end apartments and health clubs. King Dong survives however

Totally agreed and I'm there frequently
01Bear
6:11p, 5/9/24
In reply to cal83dls79
cal83dls79 said:

HearstMining said:

wifeisafurd said:

I actually have fond memories of King Dong.
philbert
7:40p, 5/9/24
In reply to cal83dls79
cal83dls79 said:

I never ate there, but King Dong went kaput earlier this year.
bearister
10:19a, 5/10/24
In reply to philbert
philbert said:

cal83dls79 said:

I heard King Dong merged with the fish fast food place, Long John Silver's and will be reopening as Long Dong Silver's

*Your order is free if you find a hair in your Coke.
Anarchistbear
11:03a, 5/10/24
In reply to cal83dls79
cal83dls79 said:

HearstMining said:

wifeisafurd said:

True, food scene is crazy and.close to art scene.

It's a "ghost town" only if you live in a real ghost town suburb
KoreAmBear
11:58a, 5/10/24
In reply to 01Bear
01Bear said:

cal83dls79 said:

HearstMining said:

wifeisafurd said:

I actually have fond memories of King Dong.

For Korean insiders -- Korean-Chinese food a la jjajangmyeon (like Paik's Noodles in Sunnyvale). Only game in town for that, and it was worth walking down to Shattuck for my fix.
bearister
12:14p, 5/10/24
Berkeley is Where it's At these days. Sorry I missed this exciting modern era by 50 years.

Shootings and gunfire in Berkeley, CA - The Berkeley Scanner

https://www.berkeleyscanner.com/topic/shootings/
KoreAmBear
12:26p, 5/10/24
In reply to bearister
Btw Cornerstone on Shattuck is my fav place to watch a show. I've seen Save Ferris and a Sublime tribute band (Badfish) there this year. And they serve the best beer on tap -- Fieldwork IPAs, Pliny the Elder, etc. Love the intimate venues for shows. DT Berkeley is pretty lit these days - love Comal, Jupiter, Da Laura etc.
Big C
12:56p, 5/10/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

JimSox said:

bear2034 said:

calumnus said:

wifeisafurd said:

The housing is needed, but it is going to obstruct some Bay views from campus.

While I totally "get" the urban density idea, I don't see why these building right near campus should be any more than 6-8 stories. When I'm on campus, I want a view; when I'm away from campus I want to view... the campus.

This is why I didn't vote for that Berkeley mayor for State Senate (or Assembly, or whatever he was running for). And I have no idea if he okayed those buildings, or what. Just didn't vote for him. Also, he's a tub of goo.

There are a bunch of new buildings in Oakland that are 10+ stories, without being set back from the sidewalk one bit, even buildings at the corners of intersections. Makes me feel claustrophobic. Bad planning.
JimSox
1:45p, 5/10/24
In reply to philbert
philbert said:

cal83dls79 said:

Yeah. Very recently. I was surprised to see that. But Shattuck is not a ghost town by any means. The movie theaters are gone, which is a bummer. But there is plenty of economic activity. Try Sliver in the BART Plaza. Pizza that rivals the Cheeseboard. And they sell by the slice.
MSaviolives
10:35a, 5/13/24
In reply to operbear
operbear said:

MSaviolives said:

cal83dls79 said:

MSaviolives said:

Big C said:

BearBoarBlarney said:

Big C said:

La Val's closed?!? I was just there in November...

I think @cal83dls79 was referring to the old La Val's on Durant, in that same complex that used to have a Tower Records. I think the southside La Val's close in the late-90's/early-00's. Pretty sure northside La Val's is going strong, as their website is active and accepting orders.

I don't recall a "Cheshire Cat" in Berkeley, however. And I'm old having graduated in the early nineties.

What I'd give to be as "old" as you (I got maybe a dozen years on you)...

Cheshire Cat was disgusting, maybe in a good way, depending on your POV... it was right near N, side LaVal's, maybe in the same alcove. On Thursday's, they had 99 cent pitchers of PBR and the pitchers were pretty big, at that. I don't know anyone that ever went there except Thursdays. The men's room was dark... and you were glad it was, the floor was all sticky. You had to decide if washing your hands after you peed would improve your hygiene situation, or make it worse. Probably the latter, as the sink was only semi-functional and there were no paper towels.

No surprise that Cheshire Cat didn't last until the '90s.
I literally saw dudes pissing in that sink when there was a line up at the urinals
my bad
To be fair, this isn't the only place I have seen dudes pissing in sinks. Maybe we should start a thread on "things I have witnessed in public bathrooms."
Monkey Inn, back in the 60s. Everything bad you ever thought of, and then some. The classic: a party of 6, 3 Coeds and many pitchers. One of the Coeds asks if. it is raining - down her leg.
For me, just a sample of things I have seen in public bathrooms:
  • Lots of times dudes doing lines
  • Hetero couple in stall doing their thing
  • Gay cruisers in stall doing their thing at rest stops
  • Being hit on by said gay cruisers at rest stops
  • Several incidents of ladies crashing in because their line is too long
calumnus
4:34p, 5/14/24
In reply to JimSox
JimSox said:

philbert said:

cal83dls79 said:

Yeah. Very recently. I was surprised to see that. But Shattuck is not a ghost town by any means. The movie theaters are gone, which is a bummer. But there is plenty of economic activity. Try Sliver in the BART Plaza. Pizza that rivals the Cheeseboard. And they sell by the slice.

The person who made the "ghost town" statement probably has a very short frame of reference and is clearly prone to exaggeration,
MoragaBear
Staff
4:38p, 5/14/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

JimSox said:

philbert said:

cal83dls79 said:

The person who made the "ghost town" statement probably has a very short frame of reference and is clearly prone to exaggeration,
Top Dog on Center Street was often a ghost town and he was probably extrapolating it to the whole Shattuck downtown area, which is very incorrect as anyone can see on any evening, especially on the weekends.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 3
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings