Ranking Cal LBs (Top-3, last 25 Years)
1,161 Views | 15 Replies
TheDuke!!!
7:06p, 4/28/24
Same criteria as before. Once again, this is just one yabbo's opinion. Please share your own top 3.

First Team
Interior - Evan Weaver, Desmond Bishop
Outside - Zach Follett, Mike Mohamed

Second Team
Interior - Khairi Fortt, Devante Downs
Outside - Mychal Kendricks, Scott Fujita

Third Team
Interior - Jordan Kunaszyk, Hardy Nickerson Jr
Outside - Sekou Sanyika, Wendell Hunter (apologies Cameron Goode, but you never opened the "Butter Pecan Bakeshop" )

-----------

No one would ever confuse him for making the top-3, but I also just wanted to mention career backup/contributor Greg Van Hoesen. He was a good solid player. But when you saw him standing next to Desmond Bishop, you would have thought Van Hoesen would be the coveted NFL player. I can't recall any LB at Cal ever looking as big and strong as him.

Nothing wrong with Greg Van Hoesen's play. Grateful we had him. But he looked like an all-American. Evan Weaver, on the other hand, looked like a third string center. It just goes to show that looks really don't matter.
concernedparent
7:12p, 4/28/24
Jackson Sirmon over Khairi Fortt. Fortt was kinda all show but no go.
TheDuke!!!
7:36p, 4/28/24
In reply to concernedparent
concernedparent said:

It is interesting because they both transferred here from prestigious programs and were on all the watch lists. Fortt was the far better athlete, so the NFL gave him more love. But they were both fierce at Cal. Coin flip really.

I definitely should have put Sirmon over Nickerson. That was a big omission.
okaydo
8:39p, 4/28/24
In reply to TheDuke!!!
TheDuke!!! said:

Same criteria as before. Once again, this is just one yabbo's opinion. Please share your own top 3.

First Team

Second Team

Third Team
Outside - Sekou Sanyika, Wendell Hunter (apologies Cameron Goode, but you never opened the "Butter Pecan Bakeshop" )

-----------

No one would ever confuse him for making the top-3, but I also just wanted to mention career backup/contributor Greg Van Hoesen. He was a good solid player. But when you saw him standing next to Desmond Bishop, you would have thought Van Hoesen would be the coveted NFL player. I can't recall any LB at Cal ever looking as big and strong as him.

Nothing wrong with Greg Van Hoesen's play. Grateful we had him. But he looked like an all-American. Evan Weaver, on the other hand, looked like a third string center. It just goes to show that looks really don't matter.

I looked it up. There's never been a Cal player named Zach Follett.
TheDuke!!!
8:45p, 4/28/24
In reply to okaydo
okaydo said:

TheDuke!!! said:

First Team

Second Team

Third Team

-----------

I looked it up. There's never been a Cal player named Zach Follett.
Apologies to Zack!

Does okayo have some more constructive criticisms of the list? How would you rank the three all-LB teams?
Big C
8:57p, 4/28/24
1. Evan Weaver (inside) Mychal Kendrick (outside)

2. Jackson Sirmon/Jordan Kunaszyk (tie, inside, one great season each) Zack Follett (outside)

3. Desmond Bishop (my former student! inside) not sure for outside

This has been a position of strength for us!
Beardog26
9:34p, 4/28/24
In reply to TheDuke!!!
Edit: I missed the Jr after Hardy Nickerson. Junior was nowhere near as good as his Dad.
concernedparent
9:45p, 4/28/24
In reply to TheDuke!!!
TheDuke!!! said:

concernedparent said:

It is interesting because they both transferred here from prestigious programs and were on all the watch lists. Fortt was the far better athlete, so the NFL gave him more love. But they were both fierce at Cal. Coin flip really.

I definitely should have put Sirmon over Nickerson. That was a big omission.
Fortt didn't even make honorable mention in his one year here. He was a so-so college player on maybe the worst defense in Cal history.
flounder
9:54p, 4/28/24
Worrell Williams should be on the list over a bunch of these guys, especially Hardy Nickerson Jr. Anthony Felder was legit, too.
TheDuke!!!
12:49a, 4/29/24
Yup, I definitely screwed this one up in a lot of way.

I had Worrell in any earlier final draft, but then my browser crashed and I forgot to put him back in.

Hardy was a real good linebacker for us. Not as good as his Dad, but still pretty darn good. He graduated from Cal early while playing football full time. We were all sad to see him grad-transfer to Illinois, but its hard to blame him when his Dad got the DC job there. Jackson Sirmon did the same thing, but to our benefit.

Felder was awesome. But I think of him in the same category as Maningo, not in the first three teams.

I flat out messed up on Fortt and Sirmon. I think I let Fortt's subsequent success in the NFL creep into my rankings. My bad.

TheDuke!!!
12:53a, 4/29/24
In reply to Big C
Big C said:

1. Evan Weaver (inside) Mychal Kendrick (outside)

2. Jackson Sirmon/Jordan Kunaszyk (tie, inside, one great season each) Zack Follett (outside)

3. Desmond Bishop (my former student! inside) not sure for outside

This has been a position of strength for us!

Just 2 LBs on the field at the same time! Are we playing against a Mike Leach team?

Yes, it is hard to rank these great players. But I actually found LB to be less of a position of strength than a lot of the other positions.
Bjorn91
7:28a, 4/29/24
In reply to TheDuke!!!
TheDuke!!! said:

Yup, I definitely screwed this one up in a lot of way.

I had Worrell in any earlier final draft, but then my browser crashed and I forgot to put him back in.

Hardy was a real good linebacker for us. Not as good as his Dad, but still pretty darn good. He graduated from Cal early while playing football full time. We were all sad to see him grad-transfer to Illinois, but its hard to blame him when his Dad got the DC job there. Jackson Sirmon did the same thing, but to our benefit.

Felder was awesome. But I think of him in the same category as Maningo, not in the first three teams.

I flat out messed up on Fortt and Sirmon. I think I let Fortt's subsequent success in the NFL creep into my rankings. My bad.

Well, Fortt had one more tackle than me in the NFL
mbBear
7:52a, 4/29/24
In reply to Beardog26
Beardog26 said:

Edit: I missed the Jr after Hardy Nickerson. Junior was nowhere near as good as his Dad.
Again, anyone can use whatever time frame they want to create lists, but the 25 year cut off deal takes care of leaving off Nickerson Sr. as you mentioned, Ortega, Rivera, and Ken Harvey.
JSC 76
9:21a, 4/29/24
Zack Follett may be my favorite Bear of all time, at any position. His hit on Tennessee QB Eric Ainge may be my favorite play of all time. And how he got his revenge on that jerk ASU QB is legendary.
TheDuke!!!
7:20p, 4/29/24
In reply to Bjorn91
Bjorn91 said:

Well, Fortt had one more tackle than me in the NFL
He was a fairly high draft pick and hung around the NFL for far longer than a cup of coffee. He definitely had time for a half sandwich with his coffee. I think that's where I let NFL bias creep into my rankings -- which is totally against the selection criteria.

Thus far, it seems clear that I screwed up the LB rankings the most. Apologies to all LBs I inadvertently screwed over -- especially Williams, Felder, and Sirmon.

I feel really good about the other rankings, regardless of the Joe Igber/RB controversy.

But to my credit, my Greg Van Hoesen comment was 100% correct.
harebear
7:45p, 5/7/24
In reply to TheDuke!!!
TheDuke!!! said:

First Team

Second Team

Third Team

-----------

Just tried this Butter Pecan Bakeshop you speak of.

10/10, would recommend!

3 East Bay locations now...
1889 San Pablo Ave in Pinole
6472 Hollis St in Emeryville
2360 Monument Blvd Suite C in Pleasant Hill

What I got!

I have been told to try the Banana Pudding flavor next:
https://www.butterpecanbakeshop.com/pages/flavors
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back