Ranking Offensive Skilled Position Players (Top-3, last 25 Years)
3,513 Views | 53 Replies
RedlessWardrobe
7:19a, 5/7/24
I understand that everyone prefers all Cal players to be solid citizens off the field.

But when ranking the performances of these players, I don't think their personalities should come into play. Its a football board. Just my opinion.
cal83dls79
10:27a, 5/7/24
How about the stud that ran for over 200 in Palo Alto. Rushed the field got a shot with him. It may have been the game Mohammed closed it out …played in the NFL
calumnus
1:30p, 5/7/24
In reply to TheDuke!!!
TheDuke!!! said:

calumnus said:

TheDuke!!! said:

ducktilldeath said:

TheDuke!!! said:

I stand by my Igber ranking. This ranking is about college, not the NFL. And Igber was an amazing college player. He achieved those extra yards in Tom Holmoe's offense. Best had the benefit of being in an offense that made sense.

But heck, I also love Jahvid Best.

However, neither Best nor Marshawn nor Igber hold a candle to Arrington's contribution in 2004.
Best is the conference's all time YPC leader. A college conference.
That's amazing! But he never put together a season like Arrington's. Best was hurt quite a bit.

Arrington also had to compete with touches with Marshawn and a killer passing game. That makes what he accomplished all the more amazing.

If instead of running him into the pile on first down we had pitched the ball to Best outside, he would have broken all the records and won the Heisman. And stayed healthy. What we did was like using a Ferrari in a demolition derby.
I recall us doing a lot of pitching to the outside as well. His concussion against Oregon State(?) had nothing to do with play calling. It was due to Best fearlessly trying to pull off an insanely dangerous leaping touchdown.

The last thing I want to do is to make this sound like I am anti-Best. The dude was nothing short of amazing and I am grateful for the time we had with him. But he doesn't hold a candle to Arrington or Marshawn. He is certainly in the conversation, however, with Forsett, Igber, Vereen, Echimandu, etc. for the #3 spot. I think you could make a case for any of them (including Best) to land at number three.

You recall us pitching the ball to Best outside because the few times we did it was memorable: nearly every time we did it went for a long TD.

Arrington and Lynch were FAR better suited to the tough interior running Tedford/Cortez favored. Tedford generally used Best in a similar way, but look at the way Pete Carrol used Reggie Bush: it got him a Heisman. Best was better than Bush. Really a shame.
TheDuke!!!
11:03p, 5/7/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

TheDuke!!! said:

calumnus said:

TheDuke!!! said:

ducktilldeath said:

TheDuke!!! said:

I stand by my Igber ranking. This ranking is about college, not the NFL. And Igber was an amazing college player. He achieved those extra yards in Tom Holmoe's offense. Best had the benefit of being in an offense that made sense.

But heck, I also love Jahvid Best.

However, neither Best nor Marshawn nor Igber hold a candle to Arrington's contribution in 2004.
Best is the conference's all time YPC leader. A college conference.
That's amazing! But he never put together a season like Arrington's. Best was hurt quite a bit.

Arrington also had to compete with touches with Marshawn and a killer passing game. That makes what he accomplished all the more amazing.

If instead of running him into the pile on first down we had pitched the ball to Best outside, he would have broken all the records and won the Heisman. And stayed healthy. What we did was like using a Ferrari in a demolition derby.
I recall us doing a lot of pitching to the outside as well. His concussion against Oregon State(?) had nothing to do with play calling. It was due to Best fearlessly trying to pull off an insanely dangerous leaping touchdown.

The last thing I want to do is to make this sound like I am anti-Best. The dude was nothing short of amazing and I am grateful for the time we had with him. But he doesn't hold a candle to Arrington or Marshawn. He is certainly in the conversation, however, with Forsett, Igber, Vereen, Echimandu, etc. for the #3 spot. I think you could make a case for any of them (including Best) to land at number three.

You recall us pitching the ball to Best outside because the few times we did it was memorable: nearly every time we did it went for a long TD.

Arrington and Lynch were FAR better suited to the tough interior running Tedford/Cortez favored. Tedford generally used Best in a similar way, but look at the way Pete Carrol used Reggie Bush: it got him a Heisman. Best was better than Bush. Really a shame.
It is really hard to counter you without sound like I am down on Best - which I am not.

But one of the most meme'd plays of the last 25 years was best getting chased down on an outside run by Taylor Mays. So it wasn't always successful.

Big C
11:16p, 5/7/24

Appreciate your posts, The Duke!!!!! and especially for engendering conversation about actual football in May.

That said...

- Arrington as our best running back is a meme (and yes, I can count to 2,000).
- Igber over Best? Igber over Ott-even-before-his-3rd-season?
- Geoff MacArthur (RIP) is also a meme, especially with KA21 and DeSean in the conversation. [Edit: not "RIP"!

As another poster put it, these are just some of your personal favorites from when you were in your glory years, or something. Or maybe you're like the advice columnist Dear Abby, whose advice lately is so bad, she must've gone off the deep end... oh, wait, she's doing that on purpose to get some responses (clever!).
TheDuke!!!
1:45a, 5/8/24
In reply to Big C
Big C said:

Appreciate your posts, The Duke!!!!! and especially for engendering conversation about actual football in May.

That said...

- Geoff MacArthur (RIP) is also a meme, especially with KA21 and DeSean in the conversation.

As another poster put it, these are just some of your personal favorites from when you were in your glory years, or something. Or maybe you're like the advice columnist Dear Abby, whose advice lately is so bad, she must've gone off the deep end... oh, wait, she's doing that on purpose to get some responses (clever!).
This not a list of my favorites. If it was, DeSean and Rodgers wouldn't be anywhere near it.

Geoff Macarthur was injured for much of his time at Cal. But he still had more yards than either DeSean or Keenan. He also had more YPC than either of them. He had more TDs than Keenan, and just two fewer than DeSean.

I love Ott. So much so that if he is ever part of a positive turn in our program like Igber was, he will definitely be in the conversation for the third spot. Until then, I am sticking with Igber at number three.

That being said, Igber and Ott are a good comparison -- as with the exception of one year for each of them, their times at Cal were characterized by absolutely terrible offensive schemes.

Not sure what you mean by meme. But you seem to be judging on NFL talent. I don't care about that. Cal doesn't play in that league. I like college football because that is where Cal plays.
Big C
12:53p, 5/8/24
In reply to TheDuke!!!
TheDuke!!! said:

Big C said:

That said...

- Geoff MacArthur (RIP) is also a meme, especially with KA21 and DeSean in the conversation.

This not a list of my favorites. If it was, DeSean and Rodgers wouldn't be anywhere near it.

Geoff Macarthur was injured for much of his time at Cal. But he still had more yards than either DeSean or Keenan. He also had more YPC than either of them. He had more TDs than Keenan, and just two fewer than DeSean.

I love Ott. So much so that if he is ever part of a positive turn in our program like Igber was, he will definitely be in the conversation for the third spot. Until then, I am sticking with Igber at number three.

That being said, Igber and Ott are a good comparison -- as with the exception of one year for each of them, their times at Cal were characterized by absolutely terrible offensive schemes.

Not sure what you mean by meme. But you seem to be judging on NFL talent. I don't care about that. Cal doesn't play in that league. I like college football because that is where Cal plays.

I dunno, somebody told me to start calling things "memes" as sort of a mild put-down. Is it like a turnip or something?

I try not to factor in NFL production (for example, I think Tony G was largely unfulfilled potential while at Cal), but it's hard to leave out of the equation (but I get what you're saying).

Igber might be a better comparison with Arrington: great senior seasons!
TheDuke!!!
3:02p, 5/8/24
In reply to Big C
Big C said:

Hmmm. But that seems like the only thing they have in common. Arrington was in a competent and productive offensive scheme his entire career at Cal.

That can't be said of Igber or Ott.
Big C
5:16p, 5/8/24
In reply to TheDuke!!!
TheDuke!!! said:

Big C said:

Hmmm. But that seems like the only thing they have in common. Arrington was in a competent and productive offensive scheme his entire career at Cal.

I see the possibility of a new thread for you to start: Ranking Cal Systems (Top 3, last 25 years)
TheDuke!!!
5:21p, 5/8/24
In reply to Big C
Big C said:

TheDuke!!! said:

Big C said:

I see the possibility of a new thread for you to start: Ranking Cal Systems (Top 3, last 25 years)
I think I already did that by ranking head coaches, OCs, DCs, and STCs.

To save you a bit of time clicking back to the first page of this thread, None of Holmoe's OCs, nor Musgrave nor Bloesch made the list.
Big C
5:29p, 5/8/24
In reply to TheDuke!!!
TheDuke!!! said:

Big C said:

TheDuke!!! said:

Big C said:

To save you a bit of time clicking back to the first page of this thread, None of Holmoe's OCs, nor Musgrave nor Bloesch made the list.

Bloesch didn't make the list? You mean he hasn't made it yet!
calumnus
5:52p, 5/9/24
In reply to TheDuke!!!
TheDuke!!! said:

Big C said:

TheDuke!!! said:

Big C said:

Why not just say "None of Holmoe's or Wilcox's OCs made the list" unless for some reason you will need to explain Baldwin did.
TheDuke!!!
4:00a, 5/10/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

TheDuke!!! said:

Big C said:

TheDuke!!! said:

Big C said:

Why not just say "None of Holmoe's or Wilcox's OCs made the list" unless for some reason you will need to explain Baldwin did.
For two reasons:

1. One of Wilcox's OCs made the list (Spav)

2. Because many of Tedford's systems were also inept. Lots of OC turnover. Confusion. Incomprehensibly long playbooks. The only one worthy of being on the list was the first one.

I really don't think Spav is a very good OC. But he was better than any of the OCs who worked under Tedford who were not named George Cortez.
flounder
11:27p, 5/12/24
In reply to Big C
Big C said:

That said...

why are you writing RIP? He was posting on facebook a couple hours ago...
Big C
12:28p, 5/13/24
In reply to flounder
flounder said:

Big C said:

That said...

why are you writing RIP? He was posting on facebook a couple hours ago...

Oops, possibly my bad (very bad). Didn't I hear he passed away? Or had a heart attack or something? If he is still with us, that makes me very happy. An instance where I'd love to be wrong.
TheDuke!!!
9:32p, 5/13/24
MacArthur is still very much alive. Fighting cancer IIRC.

In addition to being alive, he is also still the all-time leader in receiving yards in Cal Football history.

He also has more YPC than either Keenan or Desean -- and by a pretty decent margin.

He also still has more TDs than Keenan and just two fewer than Desean.
ducky23
9:51p, 5/13/24
What about dameane Douglas? He had to play for a crappy offense as well (just like Igber). He had vedder throwing to him for gods sakes. And his career numbers are pretty damn good. I don't understand how Igber is top 3 over best cause Igber played in a bad offense but Douglas somehow doesn't get the same benefit of the doubt?
Big C
12:35p, 5/14/24
In reply to TheDuke!!!
TheDuke!!! said:

MacArthur is still very much alive. Fighting cancer IIRC.

In addition to being alive, he is also still the all-time leader in receiving yards in Cal Football history.

He also has more YPC than either Keenan or Desean -- and by a pretty decent margin.

He also still has more TDs than Keenan and just two fewer than Desean.

I guess that's what I was thinking of (maybe was thinking of Sean Dawkins, too). I'm sorry to have written "RIP" after his name and am sending out positive thoughts to Geoff and his family. He's a great Golden Bear, no question.

TheDuke!!!
4:32a, 5/15/24
In reply to ducky23
ducky23 said:

What about dameane Douglas? He had to play for a crappy offense as well (just like Igber). He had vedder throwing to him for gods sakes. And his career numbers are pretty damn good. I don't understand how Igber is top 3 over best cause Igber played in a bad offense but Douglas somehow doesn't get the same benefit of the doubt?
Man, I loved Douglas.

I can think of three reasons that Igber (and not Douglas) is the one in the Top 25 RB discussion:

1. Igber has way more yards than Douglas. Igber is 4th all-time in Cal Rushing (ahead of Chuck Muncie!). He rushed for 3124 yards.

2. Douglas had a combined total of 5 rushing yards on 4 attempts. So he is tied with eight other players at 274th in all time rushing yards at Cal. He was a wide receiver.

3. Douglas' last season was 1998, which places him outside the 25 year range.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings