UCLA vs Cal softball
1,286 Views | 13 Replies
Schroeder71
7:54p, 4/10/24
040924_SB_Statistics.pdf

UCLA has slightly superior dynamic duo for most of its pitching and comparable offensive stats to Cal. The Bruins played a tough schedule early and took some losses but have come back strongly in Pac Nine conference play. The Bruins have passed Washington and moved into second place in league behind Stanford.

UCLA pitching has yielded 3 runs per game while scoring 5.94 runs. This is a wider margin than the Bears hold over their opponents. I hope that Cal has its hitting shoes on this weekend, or it could get one-sided.

2024 California Softball (PDF) - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

GO BEARS!

CalFanatic
8:37a, 4/12/24
Hoping for a little repeat of last years 8-0 run rule over #2 UCLA.
Shocky1
7:28p, 4/12/24
.354 elite hitter alyssa herrera in the starting line up as the designated hitter batting 6th
CalFanatic
8:04p, 4/12/24
Walks, errors, unearned runs.... not great.

Lagi cuts the lead in half with a solo homerun. Great job, Freshman!

2-1 UCLA in the 4th

CalFanatic
8:16p, 4/12/24
6 k's for Archer through 4. Pretty impressive!
CalFanatic
8:43p, 4/12/24
Archer is throwing the game of her life... and our offense is non-existent. I don't understand what is happening. We've done nothing offensively over the last 5 games. Our #4 hitter is down to .259 average.

Adjustments need to be made in the lineup.
Schroeder71
10:18a, 4/13/24
I agree about the lack of hitting. I'll beat the anti-bunt drum again. Cal got a lead-off single by Acacia Anders and six outs remaining to tie the game. Chelsea Spencer puts on the automatic sac bunt play for Tatum Anzaldo. The announcers and opposing teams know the strategy and charge their corner infielders. Sure enough-she pops up a high pitch for an easy 1st out to third base. This action takes out Cal's hottest hitter for nothing. Why not play to win the game instead of tie. Once she made that easy out, the game was in essence over. The automatic sac buntgs with your best hitters is driving me crazy and is stopping the offense from having big innings. Cal is leading the conference in doubles and homeruns yet sticks to its "advance one base theology" of bunting.

Is this bothering anyone else besides me?
Schroeder71
6:16p, 4/13/24
Cal men's baseball now has a record of 30-12. It's like one game better than the softball team. Wow!
SFCALBear72
6:17p, 4/13/24
Tonight's game was canceled due to inclement weather.

Doubleheader tomorrow: 10:30 am and 2 pm.
SFCALBear72
6:19p, 4/13/24
In reply to Schroeder71
Schroeder71 said:

Cal men's baseball now has a record of 30-12. It's like one game better than the softball team. Wow!
Nope. Check again. Cal baseball is now 19-14 after beating Washington State for a second straight day.
CalFanatic
11:30a, 4/14/24
Field conditions seem questionable. Games are delayed today and no update on start time.
SFCALBear72
11:47a, 4/14/24
Now, officially canceled.

Ucla comes up north to Stanford next weekend. Do you think they'll try to get at least one or two games in with the Bears on that Monday?
CalFanatic
12:06p, 4/14/24
Cal plays at Fresno Wednesday. Wonder if they can turn it into a DH to add an extra game back to the schedule.

I wouldn't mind padding the W column!
Schroeder71
6:13p, 4/14/24
SFCB72-you're correct. Cal baseball is 20-14 according to their official stats (below):

2024 California Baseball (PDF) - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings