Gymnastics
22,394 Views | 328 Replies
HateRed
6:44p, 1/6/24
Did CAL just win their section in Las Vegas???
JTfromClash
7:07p, 1/6/24
In reply to HateRed
Through first two rotations Cal is #2

They won the first rotation but really struggled on beam.

https://youtube.com/@super16gym?si=b2BSL7ETDSfoEFTC

JTfromClash
7:31p, 1/6/24
Cal's third rotation was floor. And it was just average. Weird that Andi Li wasn't in the lineup.

After 3 rotations, Cal is in second. Bama is first as they haven't made any mistakes. Cal finishes on Vault. Will be really hard for them to overtake Bama. Let's hope they hold onto 2nd place

UCLA had a tough beam. Had to count falls. They finish on floor so they might overtake Cal

Schroeder71
7:38p, 1/6/24
I was tracking the live stats and noticed that neither of two highly touted freshmen recruits were in the lineup. I also noticed that Andi Li was not in the lineup. Only three of Cal's top gymnasts were in the lineup: Mya Lauzon, Maddie Williams & emJae Frazier.

Super 16: Session Four (virti.us)
JTfromClash
7:55p, 1/6/24
Bama wins the meet ... Cal should squeak out #2.
JTfromClash
7:59p, 1/6/24
Cal finishes a solid second. They definitely need to figure out the lineups. Andi Li who is awesome on the floor was not in the lineup. That is just weird. Maybe the coaches wanted to get the younger gymnasts in scoring positions.

Good start to the season. Only going up from here!!!!
Schroeder71
8:03p, 1/6/24
Jayden Silvers was replaced by Andi Li but then Silvers was substituted for Jordan Kane and registered a 9.90 score. Clutch.
HoopDreams
9:37a, 1/7/24
Won All-Around

OBear073akaSMFan
9:43a, 1/7/24
Comparing all 16 teams competing, Cal would had tied for 3rd with a number of teams. #1 seed Oklahoma , Alabama, and then Cal (tied with Minn & Denver). Of course this was only the first meet & not knowing who else were missing from the other teams (if any) could had made a diff in the score but is a terrific start of the young Bears! GO Bears.
JTfromClash
1:44p, 1/8/24
https://www.ncaa.com/news/gymnastics-women/article/2024-01-08/womens-gymnastics-rankings-top-6-teams-and-individuals-week-1

Cal coming in at #6

Next up heading to Utah for ESPN Challenge on the 13th vs BYU, Michigan State and future ACC mate NC State. Maybe more tinkering of the lineups. Maybe we see the five star freshmen? Cal should be tops for this gorup.
Schroeder71
11:18a, 1/13/24
I hope that you're correct and that Cal uses as many gymnasts as possible tonight at 6 pm against Michigan State, North Carolina State & BYU. Live Stats and online video are available from Utah. GO BEARS!
JTfromClash
6:58p, 1/13/24
49.5 in first two events including a school record on vault!!!!!
JTfromClash
7:17p, 1/13/24
A 10 by eMjae!!!!!
Schroeder71
8:02p, 1/13/24
eMjae Frazier and Mya Lauzan are incredible performers and a joy to watch. Maddie Williams is step below them as the #3 All-Arounder. Cal needs to get Andi Li to perform like last season. Also, the highly touted frosh, Kyen Mayhew, had one great event and the team's lowest score in the other. It was her initial college meet. I'm also not sold on Ella Cesario as an AA. She had two strong performances and two in the 9.6-9.7 zone.
ESPN Events Gymnastics Session #3 (statbroadcast.com)

bottomline: Bears ran away with the quad meet by 1.1 margin. GO BEARS!
JTfromClash
10:16a, 1/14/24
In reply to Schroeder71
Kyen looked like she was too amped up on floor. It is good she got that first performance out of the way. Cal dominated so much there even if they counted her fall they still would have won. But it is huge that she got her first floor out of the way. Expect her floor to get way better quickly.

Andi Li is a bit of mystery. Is she recovering from an injury? Are coaches saving her for conference? Is her sitting out two events so the coaches can see how the others perform? But yeah kinda weird that Ella is going AA in her place. Gotta think Andi will be on the floor lineup in the toughest matchups. She does absolutely beautiful floor.

Good news: this team seems deeper than previous. They have scored the second highest team score in the NCAA yet have struggled on beam each meet.

Great news: their vault has been their weakest event for years and they scored a school record on it. Even if they can't keep that score up as high, a stronger vault overall will catapult them into the legit national contenders.
HoopDreams
2:28p, 1/14/24

Schroeder71
7:11p, 1/14/24
JT-you're 100% on the money that the vault was Cal's weakest event. It appears much stronger this season.
GO BEARS!
JTfromClash
8:26a, 1/15/24
#2 team in the country based on scores!!!
OBear073akaSMFan
3:28p, 1/16/24
In reply to JTfromClash
JTfromClash said:

#2 team in the country based on scores!!!

Wow they jumped up 4 spots! Hoping still room for improvement if we can get Andi Li going. Go Bears!
Schroeder71
9:38a, 1/17/24
Yes. In addition, UCLA has dropped out of the top ten. The Bruins were ranked above the Bears in pre-season poll.
JTfromClash
11:27a, 1/17/24
In reply to Schroeder71
yeah i didn't get the hoopla over UCLA. They lost Jordan Chiles for this season for the Olympics (and other gymnasts to graduation). Cal brought back more routines. I really think the battle for the Pac 12 crown should be Cal vs Utah.
sosheezy
9:36a, 1/19/24
Meet question for gymnastics veteran attendees. Looking to attend an upcoming meet with my young daughter (our first). How long do they typically go? I'm assuming somewhere between 75 min - 2 hours? Possibly different either for Dual or Quad? Thx.
JTfromClash
12:30p, 1/20/24
In reply to sosheezy
At most the meets are 2 hours with quads a lil longer since floor takes the longest.

Enjoy! We need to pack Haas #2 team in the country!

Thru one event, Cal is up by .5, over the Gym Dawgs onto vault where Cal is the #1 team in the country. It use to be our weakest event.
smh
1:08p, 1/20/24
Schoonderwoerfd hired at Minnesota..
> Extending huge congratulations to Crissy Jones Schoonderwoerd as she takes the next step of her coaching journey!
Schroeder71
2:00p, 1/20/24
Cal scored their second highest team score of 178.80. Both eMjae Frazier and Mya Lauzon did excellent balance beam routines but received scores of 9.925. The latter got one perfect 10 score but received a 9.850 from another judge? Bears are strong this season. GO BEARS!
ncbears
3:27p, 1/20/24
In reply to Schroeder71
Schroeder71 said:

Cal scored their second highest team score of 178.80. Both eMjae Frazier and Mya Lauzon did excellent balance beam routines but received scores of 9.925. The latter got one perfect 10 score but received a 9.850 from another judge? Bears are strong this season. GO BEARS!

197.875 was team score tying the Sprouts score. I too thought Lauzon would score higher on that routine and I think so did she and her teammates by hiw they reacted when Lauzon finished (even accounting for normal enthusiasm after routines).
Schroeder71
4:10p, 1/20/24
Thanks for the score correction! I'm a novice gymnastics fan. I've always watched them during the Olympics and I attended a couple of meets when I attended UCSB (1967-1971). It is an extremely dangerous sport but it has my respect because of the strength, athleticism & difficulty that it takes to succeed. I've been following Cal's women's team for the last 3 or 4 seasons. GO BEARS!
JTfromClash
5:37p, 1/20/24
In reply to Schroeder71
I hope they ask the judge who gave Mya Lauzon a 9.85 on her beam where the deductions in her routine.
JTfromClash
7:10a, 1/22/24

Still #2 and Mya Lauzon still #1 all around

#PackHaas this weekend for Cal's opening home meet
Schroeder71
6:37p, 1/22/24
It's exciting that Mya has risen to that level. GO BEARS!
JTfromClash
1:48p, 1/27/24
Crowd slowly trickling in for today's meet. Students must be hungover from the MBB game.

And next home meet Super Bowl Sunday. Yikes these ladies deserve bigger crowds!
JTfromClash
2:24p, 1/27/24
49.3 on vault is the new standard. If Cal continues that type of number or better, this team is a legit title contender! Leading after one event.

Go Bears!
JTfromClash
3:28p, 1/27/24
Simply amazing beam rotation. A wild 49.675 ... absolutely crushed it.

A Beav gymnast injured on floor. Hope she ok.
JTfromClash
4:09p, 1/27/24
Bears win! This team is legit contender!!!
Schroeder71
4:48p, 1/27/24
Today's performance against Oregon State was as high a level as I can recall (197.950). I thought that the top three performers in the parallel bars were underscored based on their performances. I doubt that the Bears can defeat #1 Oklahoma but this is the right time to try it. Cal has nothing to lose as #2. I hope that the triangular meet at ASU next Friday night is televised so I can tape it. Women's & men's basketball games are probably on at the same time. GO BEARS!
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 10
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings