Four softball signees for the class of 2024 (link)
6,869 Views | 40 Replies
Schroeder71
5:46p, 11/8/23
Softball Signs 2024 Class - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

What's your take on this class, CF? Phillips and Temple are both short in stature but
likely stand the tallest as far as potential. Counts is Cal's 1st recruit that I can remember
from Pacifica HS in Garden Grove ("hot bed" of SC softball). She is speedy and a good defensive CF that will probably get a shot at replacing Diamond Holland. I don't know about the pitching recruit. GO BEARS!
coachdeke
6:53p, 11/8/23
Seems to be an underwhelming class-totally unimpressive group, imho.
CalFanatic
7:34p, 11/8/23
Our last 2 classes were full of top 20 recruits. Our 2025 class is the same. We already have a commit from the top Sophmore in the state.

This one seems to be a bit under the radar. With that said, i'm super excited to see Phillips and Counts in action. They were stars on probably two of the best teams in the state (Pacifica and Hollister). Counts is supposedly an elite defensive CF in the mold of Kaleo Eldredge. We beat Stanford for Phillips. Our pitcher was the #2 behind an Oklahoma recruit but her stats weren't particularly impressive. Temple was a top 50 recruit but was injured and missed all last season.

Coach Spencer knows what she's doing.
BearinOC
7:29a, 11/10/23
I umped a game where Kayli Counts hit a homerun and rob a homerun from a batter this past weekend at the Supercup . I also talked to Coach Spencer who came to see her. She said she is excited for 2025.

I've done games for SCA Tamai, and Suncats Jimenez (Lagi played in the summer with this team) and I didn't see anyone special in those two games but they may not have played. IDK.

I am optimistic that Coach Spencer is an awesome individual and coach.

I have full faith in her.

The administration of Cal Berkeley-not so much.
BearinOC
10:17p, 11/10/23
Kiki Mashhoud"s team will be at Rosetta tomorrow. I will be at the same park. I hope to see her. She will be at an adjacent field but I should be able to meet for pix.
CalFanatic
10:26a, 11/11/23
Will PowerSurge be there? Wondering if McGowan will be playing. Can't wait to have another California POY at Cal!
BearinOC
12:33p, 11/13/23
In reply to CalFanatic
CalFanatic said:

Will PowerSurge be there? Wondering if McGowan will be playing. Can't wait to have another California POY at Cal!
Yes, I did do a PowerSurge Walling 18U Gold team. They beat the Nor Cal's Grapettes 3-2. I wish I knew she was on the team so I could have taken a picture with her too.

I didn't get to see Kiki since I was doing a game but I did get to do a game for 2025 commit, Sophia Everett from the Lady Magic. She is a Center Fielder, with a rocket of an arm. On one play, opponent hit a gapper to the fence, she grabbed it, threw an accurate throw to the second baseman and got the batter/runner out at second. She is tall, athletic and a good looking kid, oh i'd say 5'9". Usually center fielders are fast and they are not very tall but obviously this is both tall and fast.

Oh and I saw Coach Brandon Telesco off in the distance while doing games. I looked for him between games and he hid from me, lol. There were a ton of coaches there: from SEC, Big 12, ACC, Pac 2, ETC.
coachdeke
3:37p, 11/13/23
In reply to BearinOC
BearinOC said:

Please, CAL not cal-berkeley
BearinOC
5:19p, 11/13/23
In reply to coachdeke
coachdeke said:

BearinOC said:

Haha, so I was tuned into a Chargers football game last week, and during the player intros on TV, Keenan Allen dropped "UC Berkeley," while Jaylin Hawkins opted for a more concise "Cal."

But here's the thing: most viewers, especially kids eyeing colleges, won't necessarily connect the dots that Cal and UC Berkeley are one and the same. I've had numerous chats with kids on the softball field about their college commitments, and many of them confidently declare they're heading to "Cal Berkeley" because that's the name the public recognizes. Whether it's Cal, Berkeley, UC Berkeley, Cal Berkeley or just California, it's all the same institution.

It's worth noting that UC Berkeley boasts a staggering $6.76 billion global brand value, according to Comparably. We should leverage this brand recognition to the fullest.

I found Kayli counts Twitter referencing her commitment to Cal Berkeley here: https://x.com/kcounts9?s=21&t=Vblt8iHjOlDM1ITBdmO78w

CalFanatic
12:16p, 11/22/23
It appears Cal is rounding out the class with one additional pitcher, Miranda De Nava from the Firecrackers organization.

Miranda was league MVP, all CIF, and all state. She ended the year 21-1 in the circle. Always great to pickup a pitcher with all of those accolades but dang...we sure do have a ton of arms on the staff! That's 5 in the last 3 classes.

https://instagr.am/p/CzzDpg0v6oh
Schroeder71
1:34p, 11/22/23
I did a search for Miranda de Nava. She attended Riverside Poly as a junior but I didn't find too much. All that I will say is that Cal's new pitching coach must have liked this recruit. She needs to be able to bring in some of her own talent. I would anticipate several transfers out of the program because approximately a third of the roster are pitchers. Also, if the Bears are bringing in two more pitchers next year in the class of 2024 and the elite pitcher in the Class of 2025 the year after, the staff must know that several will have graduated or departed by then. Haylei Archer is the one senior out of the seven pitchers on this season's team. There are a couple of juniors, Anna Reimers and Annabel Teperson, that will be seniors the subsequent year.

The CF Kayli Counts also comes via the Firecrackers club team.
The Last Inning (Sept. 16, 2022): Spotlighting Cal-Committed CF Kayli Counts, Softball News + Verbals - Extra Inning Softball
BearinOC
5:07p, 11/22/23
It appears she went to the UC Santa Barbara camp 6 weeks ago.

https://instagr.am/p/CyELZA7pCcJ

I remember doing a game for a "Panda" recently (nickname) but, I cant remember how she pitched tho.
CalFanatic
6:56p, 11/22/23
https://www.maxpreps.com/ca/southern-section/softball/22-23/division/division-i/stat-leaders/strikeouts/k/?sectiondivisionid=57fbcfab-7d2b-4c23-b76e-36dfff35be53

Appears to have been #1 in strikeouts in the section... I see she beat out Prystajko (Stanford), Weiss (Notre Dame), and Nally (Long Beach).

Not bad. Welcome to Cal, Miranda!
BearinOC
8:52p, 11/23/23
In reply to CalFanatic
CalFanatic said:

I see she beat out Prystajko (Stanford), Weiss (Notre Dame), and Nally (Long Beach).

I've done plate for both Prystalko and Weiss. Nothing special. Weiss had a bit more movement and accuracy than average. Prystaiko was pure speed and power. Both are very hit-able by college hitters.
CalFanatic
9:06a, 11/24/23
In reply to BearinOC
BearinOC said:

CalFanatic said:

I see she beat out Prystajko (Stanford), Weiss (Notre Dame), and Nally (Long Beach).

I've done plate for both Prystalko and Weiss. Nothing special. Weiss had a bit more movement and accuracy than average. Prystaiko was pure speed and power. Both are very hit-able by college hitters.
Glad to hear. Stanford doesn't need any other help. They have enough with Canady!
BearinOC
9:07a, 11/24/23
In reply to CalFanatic
CalFanatic said:

BearinOC said:

CalFanatic said:

Glad to hear. Stanford doesn't need any other help. They have enough with Canady!
She's a beast.
CalFanatic
1:25p, 11/26/23
HoopDreams
1:47p, 11/27/23
In reply to coachdeke
coachdeke said:

BearinOC said:

I agree with… saw in Berkeley…
coachdeke
3:44p, 11/27/23
You're not supposed to be able to license "Cal Berkeley" merchandise. It looks ancient like maybe 20 years ago it slipped through the licensing cracks.
CalFanatic
11:43a, 12/15/23
Totally missed the article posted on CalBears.com. Looks like we beat out Oregon and Arizona for De Nava. I'll take it!

On a different note, I wonder where the schedule is? The initial reason I went to the website was to check non-conference matchups. Surprised to see it not up yet.
BearinOC
3:05p, 12/26/23
In reply to CalFanatic
CalFanatic said:

"Looks like we beat out Oregon and Arizona for De Nava"
This is great news if Oregon and Arizona offered.

Per Calbears site "Also considered Arizona, CSUF, CSULB, CSUSB, LMU and Oregon."

Do we know if they offered?
Schroeder71
8:16p, 12/26/23
Pitching is the name of the game in softball. IMO, the hitting has much improved over the years and now high caliber pitchers need to able to keep the team in the game.

I will say this-it appears that Chelsea is leaving no stone unturned in the attempt to land at least a couple of bonafide stud pitchers. On this years roster, the Bears have seven pitchers. Next season two more pitchers join the fray and in 2025 Cal will bring on board the CA Soph Pitcher of the Year. With new pitching coach Danielle O'Toole-Trejo, hopefully she can refine the process for uncovering the talent level that Cal needs to move up to the top of the conference.

Question: I noticed that Tatum Anzaldo DNP her freshman season (2020). She's listed as a senior but I hoping that she can have that fifth Covid year. She's certainly one of the catalysts for the Cal offense.
2023 California Softball (PDF) - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

I'm still hurt that a player the caliber of Kacey Zobac departed with a year of eligibility. Most bigtime softball programs would never see that happen. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
9:12p, 12/26/23
The missing piece to the puzzle has been pitching. When you look at the 2023 California HS Season, Coach Spencer has recruited:

1. The CA POY and state leader in strikeout
2. The CA SOPH POY
3. The Southern Section division strikeout leader

In this case...law of averages? I don't know, I have to assume we can throw together a consistent, top 10 staff with the arms we've recruited + already have on staff. The future is bright =)
CalFanatic
9:14p, 12/26/23
In reply to Schroeder71
Schroeder71 said:

I'm still hurt that a player the caliber of Kacey Zobac departed with a year of eligibility. Most bigtime softball programs would never see that happen. GO BEARS!
Zobac never transferred to another university. Do you think she might be ready to start her post college life? Start a career? Earn a salary? Not everybody wants to use their extra eligibility and it has nothing to do with the size of the program. Come on now, S71.
Schroeder71
9:12a, 12/27/23
Yes-that fact is true. She was one of my couple favorite Cal players. Thank goodness Quiroga has shown promise in fall ball. Perhaps she can help fill the void.
CalFanatic
10:09a, 12/27/23
In reply to Schroeder71
Schroeder71 said:

Yes-that fact is true. She was one of my couple favorite Cal players. Thank goodness Quiroga has shown promise in fall ball. Perhaps she can help fill the void.
You'll enjoy Lagi. She was the best offensive player during the fall ball games I witnessed. Multiple homers. And what an arm too.
CalFanatic
11:20a, 2/22/24
It appears 2024 recruit Miranda De Nava is leading the state in strikeouts. She has yet to give up an earned run in the first 8 games played for Poly.

Would be something else to land the state strikeout leader in back to back seasons. Has that ever happened before?

https://www.maxpreps.com/ca/softball/stat-leaders/strikeouts/k/
59bear
10:40a, 2/23/24
In reply to Schroeder71
Schroeder71 said:

Pitching is the name of the game in softball. IMO, the hitting has much improved over the years and now high caliber pitchers need to able to keep the team in the game.

I will say this-it appears that Chelsea is leaving no stone unturned in the attempt to land at least a couple of bonafide stud pitchers. On this years roster, the Bears have seven pitchers. Next season two more pitchers join the fray and in 2025 Cal will bring on board the CA Soph Pitcher of the Year. With new pitching coach Danielle O'Toole-Trejo, hopefully she can refine the process for uncovering the talent level that Cal needs to move up to the top of the conference.

Question: I noticed that Tatum Anzaldo DNP her freshman season (2020). She's listed as a senior but I hoping that she can have that fifth Covid year. She's certainly one of the catalysts for the Cal offense.
2023 California Softball (PDF) - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

Not so much anymore. Hitters, power bats in particular, have changed the dynamics of the game over the last decade or so. Slappers have all but disappeared, sub-1.50 era aces are an endangered species and most top programs are loading up pitching staffs with 4-6 arm rotations. New ballgame in town!
CyBear77
5:44p, 2/26/24
It never hurts to be deep in pitchers...especially if they bring different looks, velocity and movement. It's great to get a good lefty but have Archer still throwing gas. It seems like Chelsea is getting a handle on changing pitchers and plugging in pinch-hitters.
Telesco and Cuico are doing a pretty good job with the offense and defense, too.
CalFanatic
7:34p, 2/29/24
2024 signed Counts gets a callout by Maxpreps for #1 in the nation Pacifica.

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/news/rE22k5ojNUClcjNgt5vDYA/high-school-softball-rankings-top-ranked-pacifica-jumps-out-to-4-0-start-in-first-regular-season-maxpreps-top-25.htm

Her game reads like another CF I can remember… who just happened to play with Chelsea Spencer. Yes, that would be Bear great Kaleo Eldredge.
CalFanatic
9:42a, 3/11/24
After a big weekend tournament win, 2024 signee De Nava currently leads the state of California in K's and is 2nd in wins.

https://www.maxpreps.com/ca/riverside/poly-bears/athletes/miranda-de-nava/softball/23-24/stats/leader-rankings/?careerid=kg54gi6mq1bff

Excited to see Roelling and De Nava as a 1-2 punch next season. Go Bears!
CalFanatic
9:32a, 3/15/24
In reply to CalFanatic
CalFanatic said:

After a big weekend tournament win, 2024 signee De Nava currently leads the state of California in K's and is 2nd in wins.

https://www.maxpreps.com/ca/riverside/poly-bears/athletes/miranda-de-nava/softball/23-24/stats/leader-rankings/?careerid=kg54gi6mq1bff

Excited to see Roelling and De Nava as a 1-2 punch next season. Go Bears!
2 no-hitters this week now puts the Cal signee in the top 3 in K's, wins and no-hitters in the state of California.
Schroeder71
1:30p, 3/15/24
DeNava is super impressive ! What is the pitcher's name and high school that was (Class of 2025) sophomore pitcher of the year last season? I want to track her ERA, etc, too.
CalFanatic
11:09a, 3/16/24
In reply to Schroeder71
Schroeder71 said:

DeNava is super impressive ! What is the pitcher's name and high school that was (Class of 2025) sophomore pitcher of the year last season? I want to track her ERA, etc, too.
Poway's Mya McGowan. Go Bears!
Intuit
11:12a, 3/16/24
Power Surge - Power Surge - Mya McGowan Player Profile (sandiegopowersurge.com)

Check out her Player Profile.
Harborview
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode