Softball: Coach Spencer lands State Soph of the Year
5,493 Views | 24 Replies
CalFanatic
9:34p, 9/12/23

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/pomerado-news/sports/story/2023-06-28/notebook-poway-ace-mya-mcgowan-named-states-top-sophomore-10-san-diego-teams-named-academic-champs

I guess landing the state player of the year wasn't enough. Coach Spencer can RECRUIT.
Schroeder71
2:47p, 9/13/23
Poway's RHP Mya McGowan will join the Cal pitching staff as a freshman when incoming star LHP Randi Roelling will be a junior. Sound's like a dynamic duo! McGowan hit nine HRs as a soph, too.

CF-how is the 2024 recruit class progressing? GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
10:15a, 9/14/23
With the commitment of McGowan, I wanted to see what program had the most commits on the Cal High All State Team.

Cal (Roelling, Phillips and McGowan) and UCLA (Bragg, Mettler, Mujica) are now tied for the #1 spot. Feels like 2003-2004 all over again.
Schroeder71
1:34p, 9/14/23
Infielder Phillips is a member of the 2024 class from Hollister HS-San Benito, correct? GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
8:02a, 9/15/23
In reply to Schroeder71
Schroeder71 said:

Infielder Phillips is a member of the 2024 class from Hollister HS-San Benito, correct? GO BEARS!
Yep, 2024. Here was the Cal-Hi First Team All State write up.

"Mia Phillips (Hollister) Jr.

Once it looked like SoCal teams like Pacifica, Norco, Los Alamitos and Orange Lutheran would all get two all-state first team picks, it only made sense that State Team of the Year Hollister should have two as well. Pitcher Sophia Mariottini was one for sure and it seemed clear to us that Phillips was the second. It didn't take long in seeing the Haybalers play to see how much of a great infield defender she is and she is a player who has committed to Cal. In the lineup, Mia led the team in RBI with 41, she was third in runs scored with 33 and she was third in hits with 41."
CalFanatic
10:11a, 10/17/23
According to twitter, Cal lands a third 2025 commit.

Jade Diaz (Corona Angels/Canyon High School). Looks to be a power hitting lefty and SS who also spent some time playing for Team Mexico. 1st Team ALL CIF and All League.

Shaping up to a pretty darn good class!

Schroeder71
2:36p, 10/17/23
RHP Mya McGowan, inf Mia Phillips & SS Jade Diaz are the foundation for a fabulous 2025 recruit class.
GO BEARS!
OsoDorado
3:46p, 10/17/23
In reply to CalFanatic
CalFanatic said:

Jade Diaz (Corona Angels/Canyon High School). Looks to be a power hitting lefty and SS who also spent some time playing for Team Mexico. 1st Team ALL CIF and All League.

Based on this short clip, she's a naturally gifted hitter and fielder. It's easy to imagine how versatile she could be defensively, probably being able to excel at every infield position as requested.

And her swing is so instinctive. It's a small sample but it supports the fact that she was good enough to represent Mexico. She certainly has the potential to be a star helping put Cal back in the World Series.

Incredibly exciting recruit! Go Bears!
BearinOC
6:46p, 11/5/23
I just got back from umping The Alliance Super Cup. I spoke to Coach Spencer as she came to watch Kayli Counts' game. She hit a 2 run blast and had a diving homerun robbing catch as a center fielder. She plays on the Firecracker Rico team. I got a picture with her as well as I usually do with all Cal commits. So far I met Randi Roelling, Alyssa Herrera, Lagi Quiroga and about 1 more 2nd baseman whose name escapes me at the moment. Coach spoke is especially excited about the 2025 class being a very very special class.

Go Bears.
LodeBear
9:16p, 11/5/23
thanks Bear in OC. hopefully special 2025, but the administrators need to get that softball field done so we can have NCAA post season tournament games. our field is not NCAA qualifiable. if that is a real word. Get the softball field done.
OBear073akaSMFan
10:15p, 11/5/23
In reply to LodeBear
LodeBear said:

thanks Bear in OC. hopefully special 2025, but the administrators need to get that softball field done so we can have NCAA post season tournament games. our field is not NCAA qualifiable. if that is a real word. Get the softball field done.
What is the prior on the softball field. When we join the ACC will we be playing many of the Olympic sports in Texas? Is this still the plan?

THanks
CalFanatic
9:40a, 11/6/23
So great to hear Coach Spencer thinks this. Having a Roelling and Mcgowan 1/2 punch in the circle sounds like a strategy to get back to WCWS. Multiple times, at that!

Hoping the new stadium is ready for this 2025 class...
BearinOC
5:43p, 11/6/23
What's funny to me was when I struck up a conversation with the Stanford head coach and I told her I'm a Cal alum. OMG, she had this sour face on her like she just sucked a lemon wedge. She was there to watch one final time before signing a pitcher,Zoe Prystajko. She was okay I thought. Not a lot of movement but threw gas. I felt good that she was signing a totally hittable kid. She made 2 errors on first base too.
Schroeder71
5:58p, 11/13/23
Sophia Everett verbals to Cal softball to join the 2025 Class. (shortstop or centerfielder)

Sports Briefs: San Rafael's Everett takes game to Cal diamond (marinij.com)
BearinOC
7:37a, 11/14/23
In reply to Schroeder71
Schroeder71 said:

Sophia Everett verbals to Cal softball to join the 2025 Class. (shortstop or centerfielder)

Sports Briefs: San Rafael's Everett takes game to Cal diamond (marinij.com)
I wrote this on the other post:

Quote:

CalFanatic said:
Will PowerSurge be there? Wondering if McGowan will be playing. Can't wait to have another California POY at Cal!
Yes, I did do a PowerSurge Walling 18U Gold team. They beat the Nor Cal's Grapettes 3-2. I wish I knew she was on the team so I could have taken a picture with her too.

I didn't get to see Kiki since I was doing a game but I did get to do a game for 2025 commit, Sophia Everett from the Lady Magic. She is a Center Fielder, with a rocket of an arm. On one play, opponent hit a gapper to the fence, she grabbed it, threw an accurate throw to the second baseman and got the batter/runner out at second. She is tall, athletic and a good looking kid, oh i'd say 5'9". Usually center fielders are fast and they are not very tall but obviously this is both tall and fast.

Oh and I saw Coach Brandon Telesco off in the distance while doing games. I looked for him between games and he hid from me, lol. There were a ton of coaches there: from SEC, Big 12, ACC, Pac 2, ETC.
CalFanatic
9:20p, 2/4/24
Spencer looks to have added another 2025. Nina Peyton-Johnson from the OC Batbusters dynasty.

Kind of a so-so season Sophmore at Sierra Canyon....Batting.280 with 5 homeruns. However, it looks like she had a monster summer hitting over .400 in travel ball. I'd say the latter is more important!
Schroeder71
10:13a, 2/6/24
Nina Peyton-Johnson

Nina Peyton Johnson's Pro Photos (maxpreps.com)
Kneal Walls
2:03p, 2/20/24
Just a little on NPJ - Super Baller! Don't let the sophmore HS year fool you!

Cause I'm local to the area and coached her up a lil bit.

As a freshman at BIRMINGHAM CHARTER HIGH SCHOOL, she made First Team West Valley, and First Team ALL-CITY (Open Division). She batted.453 - OBP.521 - 29 hits / 21 runs / 13 RBI - (DEFENSE 1B - .975 / TC 118/ PO 111 / ER 3) - per MAXPREPS

She Transferred for her sophmore year and sat out half of the season, due to conference rules. They are looking forward to a great HS season from her this year.

Check out her Sportsrecruits profile - Nina Peyton-Johnson | SportsRecruits

THE 2025 CLASS IS FIRE !!!

#OCBATBUSTERS
CalFanatic
3:03p, 2/20/24
Amazing to hear. The 2025 class looks like the strongest one that I can remember.

Calbear73
8:31p, 2/20/24
Where can I find a list of 2025 Cal softball commits? Searched Google and couldn't find any information.

Thanks in advance for any links you can share.

Go Bears!
CalFanatic
9:22a, 2/21/24
I snagged some of this info from the thread and past posts. I know of 4 2025 recruits. Great travel programs and HS programs... Poway has produced many D1 recruits. San Rafael has 4 collegiate commits, etc.

P Mya McGowan (Poway, PowerSurge)
-#7 Recruit
-2023 CA All State First Team
-2023 CA Sophomore of the Year
-2023 San Diego Section All CIF Pitcher of the Year (Sophomore)
-2023 San Diego Section All CIF 1st Team (Sophomore)
-2023 Palomar League Pitcher of the Year Award (Sophomore)
-2023 Palomar League 1st Team Award (Sophomore)

OF Sophia Everett (San Rafael, Lady Magic)
-#94 Recruit
-1st team All League, All Section

1B Nina Peyton-Johnson (Sierra Canyon, OC Batbusters)
-First Team West Valley, and First Team ALL-CITY (Open Division)

SS Jade Diaz (Canyon, Corona Angela)
-1st team All League, All Section
- Played for team Mexico
BearinOC
1:17p, 3/20/24
In reply to CalFanatic
CalFanatic said:

I just did her game yesterday. Canyon went scoreless with multiple stranded runners on base. I was very surprised at the final score of 1-0 Esperanza High School. Jade looked 5'3 or 5'4ish and played SS. I think she went 0 for 2. One, she struck out looking, unfortunately. Everyone on Canyon didn't do well. They just wasn't hitting. I thought Canyon would crush Esperanza.

Hopefully the photo link works. https://flic.kr/ps/444Z6U
CalFanatic
2:50p, 3/20/24
Thanks for the update. Hoping to catch a game for 2025 Sophia Everett (San Rafael). I enjoy going to a local high school game, when I can. I know you had high praise.

She's hitting over .600!
CalFanatic
10:50p, 5/1/24
2025 Cal recruit Diaz lead Canyon to a win over the #1 team in the country... did I mention the starting CF on that #1 team is a Cal recruit?

Mcgowan is having another stellar season as well.

https://fox5sandiego.com/sports/neighborhood-all-stars/poway-softball-pitcher-throws-two-shutouts/

Coach Spencer can recruit.
CalFanatic
12:03p, 5/13/24
McGowan and Poway are the #1 seed in the Open Division. Good luck to this future Cal Bear and hopefully...a second straight title!

Round 1 Tuesday, May 14th: #1 Poway vs. #8 San Marcos
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off