Mia and Mikayla
1,543 Views | 18 Replies
annarborbear
6:22p, 5/6/24
The portal closed last week and, as I understand it, schools then have three days to submit the last of their players' portal applications. Reviewing the websites with which I am familiar, I do not see either Mia's or Mikayla's names now listed as entering the portal, and it appears that this final three-day deadline has now passed for doing so.

1. Is it possible that one or both are not going to use their fifth year of eligibility with anyone and will simply leave after graduation? (That has been noted previously as a likely possibility with Mia. Could it also be the same with Mikayla?).

2. It possible that one or both may still return to the team and play out that final year of eligibility. (Most people have been talking as if will not happen with Mikayla, but we have not heard anything official).

In any event, it does seem that we now know that they will not be transferring to someplace else.
SFCALBear72
6:42p, 5/6/24
MoragaBear said in a thread on the Haas Pavilion forum that it was his understanding that Mia "will become a full-time influencer and give up basketball".

"She has over a half million followers on Instagram and almost 700k on Tiktok with a bunch of brand deals."

I've seen no mention of Mikayla's future plans. Still wondering why she "disappeared" during the WBIT games.
BearBint
6:56p, 5/6/24
In reply to SFCALBear72
SFCALBear72 said:

MoragaBear said in a thread on the Haas Pavilion forum that it was his understanding that Mia "will become a full-time influencer and give up basketball".

"She has over a half million followers on Instagram and almost 700k on Tiktok with a bunch of brand deals."

I've seen no mention of Mikayla's future plans. Still wondering why she "disappeared" during the WBIT games.
Influencer. What have social media and Gwyneth Paltrow wrought?!
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
Schroeder71
8:18p, 5/6/24
McKayla has talent and I would be shocked if she walks away from the game. It also doesn't appear that the Bears will add a 6-1 wing that can defend, rebound & garner assists plus hit an occasional three. Kemery Martin has departed for BYU so she's not competition for PT. The one thing that bothers me has been the stoical nature of her behavior regarding the team. She's almost like a ghost. Unless she has communicated with her former teammates about her absence, she may have a problem rejoining the team. Also, her name is nearly identical to Kayla Williams, the new PG transfer from USC. Can you imagine tv announcers broadcasting " Kayla's passing inside to McKayla for two"?
stu
9:00p, 5/6/24
In reply to Schroeder71
Jayda Noble is 5' 11" rather than 6' 1" but looks much stronger than McKayla. Jadya is reputed to be a good defender and her stats show she can rebound.
annarborbear
9:38p, 5/6/24
Mikayla is versatile and can be part of a three-guard line-up. At Gonzaga, she was always assigned to guard their opponent's toughest player. She started every game on an NCAA tournament team, and is ACC ready. I was surprised that we did not start her in every game last year and give her a more well-defined role.
MoragaBear
Staff
3:30a, 5/7/24
Michelle and Ioanna will be back along with Marta, Claudia, Lulu and Anastasia. Turns out Mia and Kemery are graduating and not returning for hoops so with Jayda, Kayla and the four frosh coming in, they have 3 slots open.

They probably won't fill them all but 1-2 more could well be added.
RedlessWardrobe
7:10a, 5/7/24
In reply to MoragaBear
MoragaBear said:

Michelle and Ioanna will be back along with Marta, Claudia, Lulu and Anastasia. Turns out Mia and Kemery are graduating and not returning for hoops so with Jayda, Kayla and the four frosh coming in, they have 3 slots open.

I think much of our success will depend on these two. They both need to figure out how to maintain their agressiveness while exercising better control. Michelle needs to cut down on the fouls, Marta needs to cut down on the turnovers. This should be the main focus that Charmin sets out for these two talented players.
SFCALBear72
7:37a, 5/7/24
I would also add a healthy Claudia for the entire season.

She didn't see the court for any significant minutes until the 12th game of the season vs Louisiana-Monroe.
mbBear
8:14a, 5/7/24
In reply to Schroeder71
Schroeder71 said:

McKayla has talent and I would be shocked if she walks away from the game. It also doesn't appear that the Bears will add a 6-1 wing that can defend, rebound & garner assists plus hit an occasional three. Kemery Martin has departed for BYU so she's not competition for PT. The one thing that bothers me has been the stoical nature of her behavior regarding the team. She's almost like a ghost. Unless she has communicated with her former teammates about her absence, she may have a problem rejoining the team. Also, her name is nearly identical to Kayla Williams, the new PG transfer from USC. Can you imagine tv announcers broadcasting " Kayla's passing inside to McKayla for two"?
If we aren't aware of her behavior, or see little regarding her behavior, via whatever sources we deem as appropriate and accurate, then we should be able to draw conclusions about her communication with her teammates?
Schroeder71
9:41a, 5/7/24
I stated that McKayla has been MIA from the bball program since before the WBIT. I did not say that I knew what happened nor that we should be able to draw conclusions regarding her communication w/ her teammates. She's been an absolute mystery woman. Please let me know what is right and wrong about this situation when you find out, ok?
mbBear
10:59a, 5/7/24
In reply to Schroeder71
Schroeder71 said:

I stated that McKayla has been MIA from the bball program since before the WBIT. I did not say that I knew what happened nor that we should be able to draw conclusions regarding her communication w/ her teammates. She's been an absolute mystery woman. Please let me know what is right and wrong about this situation when you find out, ok?
Okay, I thought you concluded that her behavior was "stoical", and speculated that she could have problems with her team. Sorry I read that wrong.
MoragaBear
Staff
12:07p, 5/7/24
McKayla's graduated and retired from hoops.
stu
12:18p, 5/7/24
In reply to MoragaBear
Good to hear she has her degree.
HoopDreams
1:27p, 5/7/24
In reply to MoragaBear
Thanks for info. Confirms what I thought but great to have the big 3 back and the others

MoragaBear said:

mbBear
2:36p, 5/7/24
In reply to MoragaBear
MoragaBear said:

Mikayla's graduated and retired from hoops.

A happy ending, without a conspiracy theory. Very nice. I bet her teammates are happy for her!
RedlessWardrobe
7:03a, 5/8/24
In reply to mbBear
mbBear said:

MoragaBear said:

Mikayla's graduated and retired from hoops.

A happy ending, without a conspiracy theory. Very nice. I bet her teammates are happy for her!
Happy for her as well, but its surprising that she's not playing another year if she's eligible, she's certainly a valuable player.
ClayK
7:34a, 5/8/24
For me, it's not a happy ending when a player quits a team before the season's over.

I have no idea what went on, but it's a sad situation no matter what the trigger was.
mbBear
4:06p, 5/8/24
In reply to ClayK
ClayK said:

For me, it's not a happy ending when a player quits a team before the season's over.

I have no idea what went on, but it's a sad situation no matter what the trigger was.

It's a concern of course, and hopefully it was a short term situation. But, yeah, graduating college is a big deal.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings