More Portal News
3,888 Views | 38 Replies
annarborbear
10:22p, 4/30/24
Christeen Iwuala of UCLA to Ole Miss and Amirah Abdur-Rahim to Texas A&M.

Two post players I thought we might have a chance at.
Schroeder71
10:26a, 5/1/24
Any news regarding the four visitors that were supposed to trip to Cal this week? There were quite a few players in the portal that had more than one year of eligibility. Most of the transfers that I was hoping the Bears could interest have committed already.
annarborbear
10:46a, 5/1/24
There is still hope, but the number of good post players available is now very small. Even more than last year, the very good players are going to winning programs with substantial NIL and with high profile visibility from winning. In this environment, the best hope of average programs seems to be for mid-major players moving up and for those not getting playing time at major programs. Timea Gardiner is still out there, but has probably hired an agent to negotiate her deal. I still hope that we can attract some international players who actually want a Cal degree.
UrsineMaximus
1:28p, 5/1/24
In reply to annarborbear
annarborbear said:

There is still hope, but the number of good post players available is now very small. Even more than last year, the very good players are going to winning programs with substantial NIL and with high profile visibility from winning. In this environment, the best hope of average programs seems to be for mid-major players moving up and for those not getting playing time at major programs. Timea Gardiner is still out there, but has probably hired an agent to negotiate her deal. I still hope that we can attract some international players who actually want a Cal degree.
An agent? Given NIL isn't much for mid-level players, how much is left over for them after their agent is paid. Hell any player with an interest in Cal should be able to negotiate on their own. This isn't rocket science.
CalFanatic
1:56p, 5/1/24
The joy of college sports is over. Hate to say it but portal + NIL ruined it. One could be fine by itself but both? Yikes.
wvitbear
2:09p, 5/1/24
I agree Fanatic. Used to be a player represented their college. Now they are4 like the monor leagues. Except paid better. I could never root for a tem in the big Ten or Southeastern Conference. while regular students gasp at the 100,000$ loans they have, the the athletes whine over getting room, board, and tuition paid for. Why should i care about them?
SFCALBear72
6:24p, 5/1/24
In reply to annarborbear
annarborbear said:

Timea Gardiner committed to UCLA this evening.

I sent a message to Eliza Pierre on Instagram this afternoon asking if we can expect to hear about one or two more transfers from the portal.

She had posted a pic with the other assistant coaches, so I thought the message was appropriate.

So far, no reply.
WC Bear
6:28p, 5/1/24
CalWSportsFan
7:41p, 5/1/24
In reply to wvitbear
wvitbear said:

I agree Fanatic. Used to be a player represented their college. Now they are4 like the monor leagues. Except paid better. I could never root for a tem in the big Ten or Southeastern Conference. while regular students gasp at the 100,000$ loans they have, the the athletes whine over getting room, board, and tuition paid for. Why should i care about them?
I tend to agree, but I will say at least Cal has not suffered from the portal transfer bug in that we haven't really lost anyone unexpected. I think Kemery is justified in finishing up her degree and since she has another year, exploring possibilities and maybe getting a desired graduate degree (paid for) somewhere. Our core group of eligible player remain....and I'm excited about next season. I imagine we may add another portal player, but I do believe overseas prospects offer our best chance given their willingness to come to California and get a degree from a prestigious university. That counts for something still, doesn't it?

Unfortunately the trend lines seem to indicate the rich will continue to get richer, both literally and figuratively. I've always appreciated getting to know, and cheering for, a team....watching the players evolve over their four year careers as both athletes and students. So far, here at Cal, at least in terms of women's basketball, I still feel good about the team and its players and its trajectory, but it will be a tough slog against other programs that throw money around right and left...like U$C. So the majority of the kids grabbing NIL money will have a nice start to saving for retirement but what then? Most won't be playing pro ball....maybe overseas a bit, but still, what then? At some point preparing for life after basketball will need to happen.

Ultimately the merry-go-round aspect of this might undermine the product to the extent that it cannibalizes itself... Winning is great, but if I want to see players who are in it for the money I will watch the WNBA. Up to now I haven't really liked the W for the very fact that players move around a lot--and the music is too loud during time-outs, etc. ;-) --but if wcbb becomes the same, why stay?

If it becomes a game of musical chairs my enthusiasm will wane and I will look to other sports and D3 where student athletes still play for the love of the game.
BearBint
8:23p, 5/1/24
In reply to CalWSportsFan
Quote:

If it becomes a game of musical chairs my enthusiasm will wane and I will look to other sports and D3 where student athletes still play for the love of the game.
Love of the game, and love of a scholarship to a respected university, because most student-athletes are not going to make top money playing sports.

(I'd be curious to know how many young athletes really understand their own talent. Some fine university players reach their peak in their early 20s and are not going to progress much beyond that. Kristine Anigwe was evidently one of them: "our unicorn," according to Lindsay, but just another pretty good center in the WNBA.)
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
CalFanatic
9:42p, 5/1/24
I consider myself fortunate to be a Cal softball fan first. I've been attending LFF games for over 20 years, and the program holds a special place in my heart. Realistically, softball doesn't attract the same level of NIL money as basketball. That's why I have high hopes for the softball program compared to basketball. If money were a major factor, I'm not sure some of our players would have chosen Cal. People are "chasing their bag" and not chasing a degree. I don't blame some of them by any means...but...
HoopDreams
10:00p, 5/1/24
Agree but softball still needs NIL donations. Every dollar helps (I encouraged a friend of mine to make a small first time donation today)

Www.calegends.com
BearBint
8:56a, 5/2/24
In reply to BearBint
BearBint said:

Quote:

Love of the game, and love of a scholarship to a respected university, because most student-athletes are not going to make top money playing sports.

(I'd be curious to know how many young athletes really understand their own talent. Some fine university players reach their peak in their early 20s and are not going to progress much beyond that. Kristine Anigwe was evidently one of them: "our unicorn," according to Lindsay, but simply another good-enough reserve center in the WNBA.)
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
bearchamp
2:03p, 5/2/24
The lack of progress or reporting is deafening.
calbear80
2:23p, 5/2/24
In reply to bearchamp
bearchamp said:

Correction:

Lack of wins (losing 78% of the conference game) causes lack of progress, lack of reporting, lack of interest and lack of donations.

Do you think there are more interest, reporting and donations to WBB in winning programs like USC (where our former coach is at now) and UCLA (our sister school with comparable academic standards)? Compare the number of their conference wins during the tenure of their current coaches and you will see the reason.

I blame Jim Knowlton for his poor decisions.

Go Bears!
bearchamp
2:27p, 5/2/24
I think that if Cal is to have a program it should excel (see, aquatic sports). If the coaching staff can't make progress, then Cal should try someone else. The next group of freshman looks good and I would think the "pitch" that sold them should be effective in the portal. As to NIL, Cal doesn't need A-As to make progress.
SFCALBear72
2:38p, 5/2/24
In reply to bearchamp
bearchamp said:

How do you know that nothing is going on behind the scenes?

It's up to the student-athletes to declare their transfer destination. As The Athletic said in a story today about the women's basketball transfer portal:

"The transfer portal officially closed on Wednesday. Players who are already in it face no deadline for making their final decisions, and with final exams upon us, expect a lull in announcements as some players and programs pause visits."
bearchamp
2:46p, 5/2/24
I don't know if anything is going on "behind the scenes". I do see many participants writing on the Men's board. Gee, do you think that information and discussion leads to enthusiasm? And, maybe enthusiasm leads to attendance and maybe even donations? The Women's board has never been very forthcoming or even competent at announcing developments. I would think, given the track record, that Women's BB should try a different direction than just being "behind the scenes", IF, that is what is gong on.
SFCALBear72
3:06p, 5/2/24
Coach Madsen had to replace virtually an entire roster. So, the discussion continues.

Coach Smith is adding one or two players (maybe three) from the transfer portal. One such player, Jayda Noble from the University of Washington, has already announced her intentions to play for Cal next season. There's a post and accompanying discussion on this forum about that occurrence.

Likewise, a couple of postings on the incoming freshmen class and what skills each player brings to the Cal squad.

There is also a post on the return of Michelle Onyiah which was not known until recently. Great news!!

What other information do you find not forthcoming from the WBB staff?
bearchamp
3:18p, 5/2/24
Of course one cannot disclose that which is kept "behind the scenes" or not done at all. Yes, I have read how nearly all the desirable 'bigs" in the Women's portal have been signed elsewhere. However, if you look at the Men's board there are several discussions identifying coveted players, stating that some are visiting Cal on a specific day and discussing alternative players. If the Women are targeting only 3 or 4 players, who are they? I suppose Cal is targeting a much larger group of players to fill 3-4 spots on the roster. The idea here is to foment enthusiasm for the Women's program. Look at the Men's board and compare the different topics.
CalWSportsFan
4:40p, 5/2/24
In reply to bearchamp
Well Charmin just posted this today on Threads. Stay tuned????

" When you receive good news for Bear Territory on your birthday, it's really a great birthday!!! GoBears"

https://www.threads.net/@21charmin/post/C6ewcaNSsOo/?xmt=AQGzojU1-gHeZ8XIGGZ-e4UTo940Rs4mDUygpQxczY92SQ
brevity
4:53p, 5/2/24
In reply to bearchamp
bearchamp said:

Of course one cannot disclose that which is kept "behind the scenes" or not done at all. Yes, I have read how nearly all the desirable 'bigs" in the Women's portal have been signed elsewhere. However, if you look at the Men's board there are several discussions identifying coveted players, stating that some are visiting Cal on a specific day and discussing alternative players. If the Women are targeting only 3 or 4 players, who are they? I suppose Cal is targeting a much larger group of players to fill 3-4 spots on the roster. The idea here is to foment enthusiasm for the Women's program. Look at the Men's board and compare the different topics.
As far as I can tell, the main difference is in media coverage, and specifically the lack of an insider industry in women's basketball. It's still a bit grassroots at this point; even a major program like Connecticut has one or two local reporters providing tidbits of information to address the massive fan demand.

There are a few people who post behind-the-scenes info on the national NCAAW and WNBA scene: On3's Talia Goodman (Indiana grad), ESPN's Alexa Philippou (Stanford), and The Athletic's Nicole Auerbach (Michigan), Chantel Jennings (also Michigan), and Sabreena Merchant (Duke).

Talia Goodman is sportswriter Jeff Goodman's daughter, and like him, she's fond on compiling lists of information, like every transfer in and out of the portal (as of yesterday, it's part of the On3 HER division, and can be found here) and the women's basketball teams that take overseas trips in the summer. I think she just graduated from Indiana last year, and she's already in heavy demand, having worked for Heat Check CBB, The Next Hoops, and now On3. She seems to have noticed before anyone else that the women's game needs its own Adrian Wojnarowski.
SFCALBear72
7:40p, 5/2/24
In reply to bearchamp
bearchamp said:

Yes, because those boards have MoragaBear and BearGreg doing the investigating and story writing. Football and Men's Basketball occupy a considerable amount of their time. Women's Basketball doesn't have anybody spending time doing these same things.

With all due respect to MoragaBear, he has spent what little precious free time he does have to research players WBB may be targeting. And has said:

"I'll see what I can find out. As you can guess, I've been absolutely slammed with football and hoops commits lately."

He posted this on the Haas Pavilion forum.
Woodacre
8:55p, 5/2/24
According to Raoul's blog https://wbbblog.com/womens-basketball-transfers-d-i-2023-24/ there are approximately 800 players who have not yet chosen/announced their new school. I assume that there must still be a lot of talent out there, and some of the right pieces to go with our current roster. I keep reminding myself to be patient and enjoy the suspense...
annarborbear
10:46p, 5/2/24
Donovyn Hunter to TCU. Going where the money is.
ClayK
7:11a, 5/3/24
As someone who ran a women's basketball web site for many years, and has written about women's basketball for pay, it comes down to this: The ROI on reporting women's basketball doesn't come near the ROI for football and men's basketball.

Add to that the disappearance of journailism in general -- who will buy your stories? -- and you get minimal coverage.

When people pay more for coverage of women's sports, or any sport, then there will be more coverage.

Bobodeluxe
8:12a, 5/3/24
In reply to ClayK
ClayK said:

As someone who ran a women's basketball web site for many years, and has written about women's basketball for pay, it comes down to this: The ROI on reporting women's basketball doesn't come near the ROI for football and men's basketball.

Add to that the disappearance of journailism in general -- who will buy your stories? -- and you get minimal coverage.

When people pay more for coverage of women's sports, or any sport, then there will be more coverage.

Ain't the googles and fecesbook grand?
bearchamp
9:37a, 5/3/24
I would think that the Cal WBB staff would to their own reporting in order to promote Cal WBB.
SFCALBear72
6:58a, 5/4/24
Kemery Martin has committed to BYU.
ncbears
10:36a, 5/4/24
In reply to SFCALBear72
SFCALBear72 said:

Kemery Martin has committed to BYU.
Back to the state of Utah.
SFCALBear72
10:46a, 5/4/24
Yes, she's now closer to family and friends.
HoopDreams
11:06a, 5/4/24
Good for her

Talented two way player. Could not get going this past season for what ever reason

Wish she stayed

Good luck to her

Ashfield63
12:33p, 5/4/24
Kemery was an excellent student /athlete for the Bears. I am happy for her to be a Grad Transfer playing for BYU, and having the opportunity to obtain a Master's Degree. There is a photo of her with Jazlen Green, who graduated at Cal's December 2023 graduation,

I am always pleased to see Cal players graduate, and obtain a graduate degree with the extra year of eligibility. When Leilani decided to stay at Cal for the 5th year, she said her mother was influential in having her pursue a Master's Degree. I think she was in the School of Education.
GGV
MoragaBear
Staff
12:06p, 5/7/24
A couple more people to keep an eye on are soph Texas guard Gisella Maul who was a Top 50 2023 recruit who saw some PT as a frosh this season and Colorado grad transfer guard Tameiya Sadler, who started at UW. Cal's not recruiting Tess Heal anymore. Doesn't sound like a good fit.
stu
12:17p, 5/7/24
In reply to MoragaBear
Thanks for the update.

Interesting trivia: Santa Clara has 5 players from Australia and all 5 are from Melbourne. Probably not a good fit with Lulu from Queensland.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings