Banquet
2,863 Views | 22 Replies
CalWSportsFan
2:10p, 4/10/24
Anyone else going to the team banquet next week? I just got two tickets…it's April 17th 6 to 8 pm at Jack London Square location (98 Broadway). I assume we will discover more about next year's roster etc. and get the opportunity to celebrate the current team. Go Bears!
SFCALBear72
2:19p, 4/10/24
I'll be there!
CoffeeBear
3:22p, 4/10/24
In reply to SFCALBear72
SFCALBear72 said:

I'll be there!
Same!
bearkat
3:31p, 4/10/24
In reply to CalWSportsFan
we will be there!
stu
5:22p, 4/10/24
I'll be there with wife and freaking friend.
Woodacre
9:24p, 4/10/24
My wife and I are looking forward to it. Never been
stu
9:01p, 4/17/24
I got there a little late and the acoustics were terrible so I didn't hear much of what Charmin said. I did hear she's very happy with our incoming freshman class. And Michelle will be back!

After the speech we got a fair amount of time to mingle with players and coaches which was nice. Eliza told me she does much of the international recruiting and we're talking with a number of good players from Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. Her torn tendon seems to be much better.

Heidi brought her 2-year-old twins who are very cute and highly mobile. She mentioned once in a while one is sleeping and she finds out what it's like to have just one child.

Lulu was charming. She's from Queensland where the weather is pretty warm and found what passes for winter in our Bay Area to be quite cold.

Anastasia said she's fully healed and looking forward to next season with the same excitement as when she arrived. She's currently undeclared but plans to major in math
Woodacre
10:06p, 4/17/24
In addition, here's what I heard/observed:
1) Coach said that the first incoming Portal move will be announced soon, perhaps within 48 hours
2) I asked Kemery if she was coming back. She said she hadn't decided yet.
3) Coach said the promise that was made to the current players is that they will play in a Power 5 Conference, and she is glad that the move to the ACC will continue that promise (I am paraphrasing). She seemed to indicate that the turnover at OSU "one of the best teams in the country" is due to their not going to a Power 5.
4) She feels that of the competition in the ACC Cal is currently right in the middle, in the sense that our current program/team is better than at least half of the teams so far. She said the ACC sent 8 teams to the NCAA this year and perhaps 10 will go next year (now that the Pac 12 is gone, I guess)
5) I think all the players, except for Mikayla, were there. Michelle and Claudia arrived a little later, due to having classes...the nerve! (JK)
6) Ornela was there.
7) Coach said that people say "Why didn't we go and get Kiki?" Simple answer: NIL

I thought it was a really fun venue, and encouraged lots of mingling. Claudia said that last year's event wasn't as free flowing.
SFCALBear72
10:14p, 4/17/24
In reply to Woodacre
Woodacre said:

In addition, here's what I heard/observed:
1) Coach said that the first incoming Portal move will be announced soon, perhaps within 48 hours
2) I asked Kemery if she was coming back. She said she hadn't decided yet.
3) Coach said the promise that was made to the current players is that they will play in a Power 5 Conference, and she is glad that the move to the ACC will continue that promise (I am paraphrasing). She seemed to indicate that the turnover at OSU "one of the best teams in the country" is due to their not going to a Power 5.
4) She feels that of the competition in the ACC Cal is currently right in the middle.
5) I think all the players, except for Mikayla, were there. Michelle and Claudia arrived a little later, due to having classes...the nerve! (JK)
6) Ornela was there.
7) Coach said that people say "Why didn't we go and get Kiki?" Simple answer: NIL

I thought it was a really fun venue, and encouraged lots of mingling. Claudia said that last year's event wasn't as free flowing.
Great report.

I didn't see Mia, but she could have been over near the bowling lanes.

I spoke to Alma. She's going home to Sweden after graduation (her whole family will be here for the ceremony) and would really like to play professionally in Europe.

I agree with Claudia. This event was a lot more relaxed and conducive to mingling.
Schroeder71
10:16p, 4/17/24
It sounds as if McKayla Williams will not return. It's too bad because she was one of the team's best defenders. Kemery Martin might return because KK will not.

With Anastasia joining the team with the four 2024 recruits next season, might as well consider them as a group of five. Actually, the San Ramon Valley preferred walk-on could be added to make it a half dozen newbies.
Woodacre
10:23p, 4/17/24
Now that I think of it, I didn't see Mia either. Thanks for pointing that out.
Woodacre
10:38p, 4/17/24
Coach also mentioned that Cal will play Gonzaga next year, and that there will be a tournament in Palm Springs that will have Arizona, Vanderbilt, Cal and one more team. Anyone remember? Illinois?
CoffeeBear
10:48p, 4/17/24
4 the team is Michigan State.

https://www.desertsun.com/story/sports/basketball/2024/02/13/college-basketball-palm-springs-acrisure-classic-thanksgiving-usc-arizona-state-michigan-state/72576962007/

And agree that this venue was way more appropriate for fans and team to mingle and chat.

Go Bears
CalWSportsFan
4:32a, 4/18/24
It was a good event and very upbeat.

I spoke with Leilani and she said she is busy finishing up her masters. She has an agent and will be looking to play pro ball overseas in the fall. Yo said she (and the other players from overseas) will spend a few weeks at home early in the summer before basketball starts up again. She's excited to be returning for another round with the Bears.

Cal also has four portal players visiting in the coming week, so should be some news on that front soon which sounds exciting.

Happy to hear that Michelle will be back, just awaiting word on grad school too....

I asked Charmin about playing former conference mates next season and aside from the possibility of meeting up with Arizona in Palm Springs, she said that wouldn't happen. The other piece of scheduling news is that team will be traveling to Gonzaga for a game.

SFCALBear72
7:40a, 4/18/24
A road trip to Spokane to support the Bears vs. Gonzaga sounds like a fun adventure. Will wait to see when the game is scheduled.
UrsineMaximus
8:44a, 4/18/24
Glad to hear Michele will be coming back. Experience alone will improve her game and with additional work over the summer there is potential for a much improved player.
CalFanatic
9:36a, 4/18/24
Having Michelle back is massive.

If one of Mafua, King or Donez can have a strong Freshman season I don't see why we can't be a 20 win team. I'm excited to see Donez play after her record breaking senior season.
stu
10:27a, 4/18/24
In reply to CalFanatic
CalFanatic said:

Having Michelle back is massive.

If one of Mafua, King or Donez can have a strong Freshman season I don't see why we can't be a 20 win team. I'm excited to see Donez play after her record breaking senior season.
We'll also have Anastasia Drosouni who can play PG or SG. I'm sure one or more of our young guards will step up.
mbBear
12:04p, 4/18/24
CalWSportsFan said:

It was a good event and very upbeat.

I spoke with Leilani and she said she is busy finishing up her masters. She has an agent and will be looking to play pro ball overseas in the fall. Yo said she (and the other players from overseas) will spend a few weeks at home early in the summer before basketball starts up again. She's excited to be returning for another round with the Bears.

Cal also has four portal players visiting in the coming week, so should be some news on that front soon which sounds exciting.

Happy to hear that Michelle will be back, just awaiting word on grad school too....

I asked Charmin about playing former conference mates next season and aside from the possibility of meeting up with Arizona in Palm Springs, she said that wouldn't happen. The other piece of scheduling news is that team will be traveling to Gonzaga for a game.

thanks to you and everyone who posted....very cool to hear inside stuff!
Woodacre
2:51p, 4/18/24
The Coach also mentioned that the reason for scheduling Gonzaga and the Thanksgiving tournament was to help with the NET rankings. It was also in response to a question about whether we would be playing any of our old Pac12 rivals (she cited Arizona in the tournament, but I think that's it for now).
wbbilluminati
4:42p, 4/18/24
CalWSportsFan said:

FOUR PORTAL PLAYERS VISITING!!!!!!!!!! so exciting
HoopDreams
10:03p, 4/18/24
Thanks to everyone who went and for the report. I would have loved to attend to talk to the team, but it wasn't possible that day.

I've said many times that Lei is the heart of the team, but I think Michelle is the soul of the team.

That is supremely extraordinarily amazing news!

RedlessWardrobe
7:33a, 4/19/24
In reply to UrsineMaximus
UrsineMaximus said:

Glad to hear Michele will be coming back. Experience alone will improve her game and with additional work over the summer there is potential for a much improved player.
Probably the most relevant factor of the off season, (time to move on from the Charmin extension debate.) Looking forward to the transfer portal updates, things will be very interesting in the first year of ACC play.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings