Fall Roster - I'm tired of reading about Caitlin Clark
1,892 Views | 15 Replies
RedlessWardrobe
6:26a, 4/8/24
This is a request for one you experts out there to make a forecast of the '24-'25 roster, including incoming recruits, returning/possible returning players, and remaining open spots for next season. Any effort on this will be greatly appreciated.
SFCALBear72
6:42a, 4/8/24
Here's my take on the situation.

Returning:
Marta Suarez
Lulu Laditan-Twidale
Mia Mastrov
Claudia Langarita
Anastasia Drosouni (Freshman guard out all season with injury)
Ioanna Krimili

Possibly Returning:
Michelle Onyiah
Kemery Martin
McKayla Williams (???)

Incoming Freshmen:
Kamryn Mafua 6'2 F
Gabrielle Abigor 6'3 Post
Zahra King 5'10 G
Lola Donez 5'11 G

Sofia Bowes 5'9 G (Preferred Walk-on)

From Portal:
Need a Point Guard with multiple years of eligibility.
Need a Post and/or Forward - depends upon Michelle's decision.
RedlessWardrobe
7:18a, 4/8/24
In reply to SFCALBear72
SFCALBear72 said:

Returning:
Marta Suarez
Lulu Laditan-Twidale
Mia Mastrov
Claudia Langarita
Ioanna Krimili

Possibly Returning:
Michelle Onyiah
Kemery Martin
McKayla Williams (???)

Incoming Freshmen:
Kamryn Mafua 6'2 F
Zahra King 5'10 G
Lola Donez 5'11 G

From Portal:

Awesome, thank you SFCB72! I would guess that from this group the most likely starting point guard would be Z King, correct? Also, it appears that you are projecting Ioanna to return, Michelle a big maybe, and Kemery and McKayla doubtful. Does that sound about right?
ClayK
7:22a, 4/8/24
Possibly Returning:
Michelle Onyiah
Kemery Martin
McKayla Williams (???)

----------

The key is in this list. Get all three, plus some portal help, and Cal looks fine. Get two, and it's still OK. One or none? Could be a tough transition to the ACC ...
SFCALBear72
7:34a, 4/8/24
In reply to RedlessWardrobe
RedlessWardrobe said:

SFCALBear72 said:

Returning:
Marta Suarez
Lulu Laditan-Twidale
Mia Mastrov
Claudia Langarita
Ioanna Krimili

Possibly Returning:
Michelle Onyiah
Kemery Martin
McKayla Williams (???)

Incoming Freshmen:
Kamryn Mafua 6'2 F
Zahra King 5'10 G
Lola Donez 5'11 G

From Portal:

Awesome, thank you SFCB72! I would guess that from this group the most likely starting point guard would be Z King, correct? Also, it appears that you are projecting Ioanna to return, Michelle a big maybe, and Kemery and McKayla doubtful. Does that sound about right?
Yes, she confirmed it in a Charmin Smith extension story in The Chronicle and on Instagram. "Had too much fun to not run it back." #6thyearfreshie #onelasttime. I guess so with Zahra. Ioanna also backed up Leilani at point guard.

I think Michelle returns but we'll see.
stu
8:25a, 4/8/24
It will be hard to tell how our freshies will perform before we see them, at least in practice. I think between freshies and transfers we'll need at least a point guard, a wing, and a post who can play right away.

Michelle may do better with ACC officials but this season we were abused by a number of opposing posts. I'd love to add one bigger post.
HoopDreams
8:58a, 4/8/24
Michelle returning is a huge key, not just on the court but for the morale of the team with Leilani graduating (still sad to say that)

But yes, we absolutely need a veteran big with size/strength like graduating Lane who never played healthy this year
RedlessWardrobe
11:15a, 4/8/24
In reply to ClayK
ClayK said:

Possibly Returning:
Michelle Onyiah
Kemery Martin
McKayla Williams (???)

----------

The key is in this list. Get all three, plus some portal help, and Cal looks fine. Get two, and it's still OK. One or none? Could be a tough transition to the ACC ...
If its only one, gotta hope for Michelle.
Schroeder71
4:50p, 4/9/24
Still nobody knows the story of the disappearance of McKayla Williams from the team during the WBIT. Strange.

McKayla Williams would be the second most important player of the three based upon her all-around skills of defense, rebounding, assists & scoring.

Kemery Martin dropped way off in her performance last season compared to the previous year. She was an absolute streak shooter from three-point range, either all or nothing. Her overall game dropped off, too. Kemery's scoring dropped from 10.6 to 6.6 and their three-point shooting percentage also dropped. In 2022-23, Martin tied for the team lead with Jayda Curry on treys with 59 but this season finished fifth on the Bears with 40.
SFCALBear72
5:08p, 4/9/24
In reply to Schroeder71
Schroeder71 said:

Still nobody knows the story of the disappearance of McKayla Williams from the team during the WBIT. Strange.

McKayla Williams would be the second most important player of the three based upon her all-around skills of defense, rebounding, assists & scoring.

Kemery Martin dropped way off in her performance last season compared to the previous year. She was an absolute streak shooter from three-point range, either all or nothing. Her overall game dropped off, too. Kemery's scoring dropped from 10.6 to 6.6 and their three-point shooting percentage also dropped. In 2022-23, Martin tied for the team lead with Jayda Curry on treys with 59 but this season finished fifth on the Bears with 40.
I think it's up to McKayla to come forward and discuss her situation.

As I said previously, I follow her on Instagram and she hasn't posted there in quite some time. She is obviously taking time for herself. I wish her well and hope she returns to the team in the Fall.
Schroeder71
4:11p, 4/10/24
SFCB72-maybe some information will come out at next week's team banquet. Enjoy. Do all of the players attend the banquet? If some are MIA, would that possibly be a sign that they are no longer part of the team?
GO BEARS!
SFCALBear72
4:27p, 4/10/24
In reply to Schroeder71
Schroeder71 said:

SFCB72-maybe some information will come out at next week's team banquet. Enjoy. Do all of the players attend the banquet? If some are MIA, would that possibly be a sign that they are no longer part of the team?
GO BEARS!
This is my second banquet. I went to the banquet last year too.

As I recall, Jayda Curry was the only No Show. Well, we all know what happened next. Off to Louisville.
SFCALBear72
8:18a, 4/11/24
Hoping to play women's college basketball at a different school:

Ornela Muca is now in the transfer portal, as per Raoul's WBB Blog.
Ashfield63
11:16a, 4/11/24
In reply to SFCALBear72
SFCALBear72 said:

Hoping to play women's college basketball at a different school:

Ornela Muca is now in the transfer portal, as per Raoul's WBB Blog.

Good to know Ornela will have an opportunity to play basketball and further her education
as a Grad Transfer.

GGV
Finnish Oski
1:14p, 4/11/24
I always thought Ornela deserved a bit more playing time. Hope she goes somewhere that gives her a lot.
stu
1:21p, 4/11/24
I hope Ornela gets a grad degree and plenty of playing time.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings