Charmin's Status - When Will We Know?
1,696 Views | 19 Replies
RedlessWardrobe
12:27p, 4/2/24
Hope this thread stays short.
We have beat the Charmin retention question into the ground. I'm simply curious, does anyone have a clue as to when we will know whether she will/will not be retained? I respectfully ask that any responses here are limited to the WHEN issue and not the IF issue. Anybody got an idea on when?
Finnish Oski
12:39p, 4/2/24
If she was going to be let go it probably would have already happened. However, given the state of our athletic department who knows. Also given the mess in the department it's difficult to predict when an extension would be announced.
stu
12:39p, 4/2/24
I have only a guess, with no inside info: If Charmin were to be terminated it would make sense to have done so as soon as the season ended so the hiring process could begin right away. Delaying the hire would reduce the chances of getting the best candidate and leave the new hire less time to find transfers and re-recruit incoming players.

Of course Knowlton has messed up before (waffling before firing Wyking Jones then hiring Mark Fox).

Then we might be waiting to hire one of the coaches in the Final Four. JK.
annarborbear
1:37p, 4/2/24
You can ask Knowlton the next time he is back in town from Colorado. Maybe in a couple of months.
RedlessWardrobe
2:06p, 4/2/24
Appreciate the responses. As usual this one turned sideways and became more about JK but it's not like that hasn't happened about a million times already! So our best guess now is that she's sticking around. Again, thanks folks!
calbear80
3:55a, 4/3/24
The question is:

Should a coach who has lost around 80% of her conference games be retained?

Unfortunately, AD (Athletic Destroyer) Knowlton is the decision maker.

Go Bears!
dha
4:25a, 4/3/24
With the Cal AD facing a huge revenue shortfall from the ACC move, there is is like zero chance Coach is not retained. The entire team would likely enter the portal to make matters worse. The situation facing the men's team of needing an almost complete rebuild through the portal is bad enough. Coach will get a chance to lead the team into the ACC - let's see how she does.
RedlessWardrobe
8:17a, 4/3/24
In reply to calbear80
calbear80 said:

The question is:

Should a coach who has lost around 80% of her conference games be retained?

Unfortunately, AD (Athletic Destroyer) Knowlton is the decision maker.

Go Bears!
I respect your right to post, and I am not a thread cop. But my goodness, when I started this subject I mentioned that this was just about the "when" factor - that there were other places on this forum to go for the highlighted issue. I guess I was too mild in making my request.
calbear80
2:19p, 4/3/24
I respect your point, but isn't "when" a coach is retained very much related to "if" a coach is retained and isn't "if" a coach is retained very much related to the coach's performance?

Are you happy with losing around 80% of the conference games and losing around 95% of the games against in-state rivals?

Go Bears!
stu
3:02p, 4/3/24
I think there are significant differences between when a decision will be made, who will make that decision, and what the decision will be. There are plenty of threads discussing the latter and by now everyone's position seems pretty clear to me.
RedlessWardrobe
4:10p, 4/3/24
In reply to calbear80
calbear80 said:

I respect your point, but isn't "when" a coach is retained very much related to "if" a coach is retained and isn't "if" a coach is retained very much related to the coach's performance?

Are you happy with losing around 80% of the conference games and losing around 95% of the games against in-state rivals?

Go Bears!
CB80, I'm not trying to be nasty, but if you respected my point shouldn't you have taken 30 seconds to read my opening post before you posted your response?
calbear80
6:13p, 4/3/24
Thank you Redlesswardrobe. I did read your opening post. And, did you read my post?

1. Should a coach who has lost around 80% of the conference games and around 95% of the games against the in-state rival be retained?

2. Should Cal alumni and fans be happy about losing around 80% of the conference games and around 95% of the games against the in-state rivals?

3. Shouldn't a coach's performance be a key factor on "if" and "when" that coach is retained?

Go Bears!
calbear80
7:03p, 4/3/24
I just double checked. The record over the last five years against the in-state rivals is 2-20. That means losing only 91% of the games against in-state rivals. So, my previous post that it is losing 95% of the games against the in-state rivals needs to be corrected, it is losing only 91% of the games.

Go Bears!
RedlessWardrobe
8:52p, 4/3/24
In reply to calbear80
calbear80 said:

Thank you Redlesswardrobe. I did read your opening post. And, did you read my post?

1. Should a coach who has lost around 80% of the conference games and around 95% of the games against the in-state rival be retained?

2. Should Cal alumni and fans be happy about losing around 80% of the conference games and around 95% of the games against the in-state rivals?

3. Shouldn't a coach's performance be a key factor on "if" and "when" that coach is retained?

Go Bears!
This is too funny.
I will answer your questions first:
1) Maybe
2) Maybe
3) First part Yes, 2nd part maybe

Now let me return a question to you:
When a poster starts a thread and asks "when" will we know? - and specifically requests not to bring up the "if" question, (because there are many other threads already addressing the question), then why would a poster who says he/she has read the post go out of their way to ignore the request?

Go Bears!
socaliganbear
12:08p, 4/4/24
Contract extended. Lmfao.
ncbears
12:11p, 4/4/24
Not a two year extension as speculated here. People underestimated Knowlton's generosity.
Extended to 2029! (2028-2029 season).

I like Smith - but I don't see where she earned a five year extension.
Finnish Oski
12:42p, 4/4/24
Five years?!? As in half a decade? That's insane. Fire Knowlton last week.
calbear80
5:07p, 4/4/24
In reply to Finnish Oski
Finnish Oski said:

Five years?!? As in half a decade? That's insane. Fire Knowlton last week.

+1
HoopDreams
6:11p, 4/4/24
The answer to the OP

Today!
RedlessWardrobe
6:43p, 4/4/24
In reply to HoopDreams
HoopDreams said:

The answer to the OP

Today!
At least you understood my question!