The future of Oregon State basketball is bright!
1,499 Views | 13 Replies
Schroeder71
12:30p, 3/31/24
https://www.ncaa.com/game/6284823

Undefeated South Carolina only held a four-point lead over OSU with 3 1/2 minutes left and called a timeout. They scored a three-point basket out of the TO and hit several free throws down the stretch to prevail 70-58.

The Beavers do not have any seniors that play in their regular rotation. Today, Oregon State had a freshman PG, three sophomores & a junior play head-to-head with the Gamecocks. The four Beavers that scored in double figures were all frosh-soph players. Thank goodness that the Bears don't have to face the Beavers in conference
anymore. Btw, Scott Peterson's roster is almost completely made up of high school recruits. The only transfer that saw the floor in this Elite Eight contest was 6-5 junior post Kelsey Rees who played 8 minutes and failed to score.
SFCALBear72
12:43p, 3/31/24
Given that they will be playing in the WCC (a non-Power 5 conference) for the next two years, the fear that Coach Rueck has is that any number of his current players could now enter the transfer portal. They would be in search of opportunities at Power 5 schools in various conferences.

Don't be surprised if this in fact happens.

Who is Scott Peterson? It's Scott Rueck.
Schroeder71
12:53p, 3/31/24
I apologize to HC Rueck. When you're my age, remembering names is one of the difficulties. You're correct that might happen. I was just pointing out that the counter narrative can still work out with prep recruits. If the Beaver's roster stays intact, they likely will go undefeated in the WCC. GO BEARS!
SFCALBear72
1:02p, 3/31/24
In reply to SFCALBear72
SFCALBear72 said:

Given that they will be playing in the WCC (a non-Power 5 conference) for the next two years, the fear that Coach Rueck has is that any number of his current players could now enter the transfer portal. They would be in search of opportunities at Power 5 schools in various conferences.

Who is Scott Peterson? It's Scott Rueck.

From ESPN.com:

But what comes next, and a fear that players might leave through the transfer portal, does not have him necessarily worried today. It will be something that must be addressed, though.

"That's reality," Rueck said. "I can't control that, other than just keep doing what I'm doing. I think the opportunity within that for a leader provides a discipline that you'd better be on your A game all the time. You'd better take care of people, and you'd better provide a great experience. That's the approach going forward, and what happens, happens. We'll find a way."

I.E.Bear
6:13p, 4/2/24
Not surprised, but Talia von Oelhoffen has entered the transfer portal. I wouldnt be surprised to see Beers and Gardiner leave next. They just won't get any coverage or competition in the WCC.
Schroeder71
6:34p, 4/2/24
If Cal could land any of those three or even their freshman PG, they would be major contributors immediately. The other point is that three of them would have two or three years of eligibility left. Talia von Oelhoffen was a junior so she might have only one season remaining...I realize that it's unrealistic to dream of such thoughts but why not?
GO BEARS!
stu
7:16p, 4/2/24
In reply to Schroeder71
You can't accomplish anything you can't imagine so you must dream on!
CalWSportsFan
7:16p, 4/2/24
More expected to leave.... What a drag for them after such a great season too. https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/2024/04/oregon-state-loses-junior-guard-talia-von-oelhoffen-to-the-transfer-portal-more-expected-to-follow.html
annarborbear
7:42p, 4/2/24
Leglar-Walker now also in the portal. WSU is going to have the same problem.
I.E.Bear
7:57p, 4/2/24
In reply to CalWSportsFan
Just horrible for that program. They went from finishing 11th (I believe) in the conference last season and making a deep run in the NCAA tourney this season.

They were really fun to watch and most key players were either a freshman or sophomore.

stu
9:18p, 4/2/24
I feel bad for Rueck and the fans. I hope they bounce back to be competitive in their next conference.
BearBint
4:21a, 4/3/24
In reply to I.E.Bear
I.E.Bear said:

Not surprised, but Talia von Oelhoffen has entered the transfer portal. I wouldnt be surprised to see Beers and Gardiner leave next..

May we have the mighty Beers then? My whole family loves her.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
BearBint
4:24a, 4/3/24
In reply to stu
stu said:

I feel bad for Rueck and the fans. I hope they bounce back to be competitive in their next conference.

The Beavs are the only team I don't altogether mind losing to.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
I.E.Bear
4:54p, 4/3/24
In reply to BearBint
I'm a huge Raegan Beers fan as well and, if she enters the portal, would love to have her on Cal's squad.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings