Patience is a virtue
7,731 Views | 55 Replies
parentswerebears
1:29p, 5/6/24
Especially when you don't have a paid account here. Any idea when we might hear anything about our 13th scholarship?
oskidunker
1:36p, 5/6/24
In reply to parentswerebears
parentswerebears said:

Especially when you don't have a paid account here. Any idea when we might hear anything about our 13th scholarship?

Friday the 13th
Go Bears!
parentswerebears
2:13p, 5/6/24
Sounds about right.
stu
2:17p, 5/6/24
I read on our women's forum that May 6 through 12 is a "recruiting shutdown" when no contact is allowed.
SFCALBear72
3:41p, 5/6/24
In reply to stu
stu said:

I read on our women's forum that May 6 through 12 is a "recruiting shutdown" when no contact is allowed.
It doesn't apply to Division 1 Men's Basketball.

They are currently in the midst of the contact period as per the NCAA.

• April 9 (noon) - May 20, 2024: Contact period
stu
4:39p, 5/6/24
In reply to SFCALBear72
SFCALBear72 said:

stu said:

It doesn't apply to Division 1 Men's Basketball.

They are currently in the midst of the contact period as per the NCAA.

• April 9 (noon) - May 20, 2024: Contact period

Thanks. I wonder why the men's and women's recruiting calendars differ.
barsad
10:48p, 5/10/24
In reply to stu
https://www.reddit.com/r/reactiongifs/comments/1p393k/mrw_ra_announces_to_residents_that_a_fire_alarm/#lightbox
Where's the foot tapping emoji?
We're 10 days away from the end of the contact period, should we be worried yet?
Does anyone have Gus Larson's number?
So many questions, so few answers.
Big C
11:42p, 5/10/24

Playin' it close to the vest: The less we hear, the more I'm thinking it's Bronny.
RedlessWardrobe
3:13a, 5/11/24
From the other thread:

Spensblack87 said:

"I am getting the feeling the Madsen is waiting to see who withdraws from the NBA draft before utilizing the 13th scholarship."

This would seem to be the most logical call. There will be quite a few that withdraw before the draft starts. Our 13th player could be anyone.
graguna
9:26a, 5/11/24
This is like the last Christmas gift that was delayed in shipping and is arriving a few weeks late.

Bobodeluxe
10:28a, 5/11/24
In reply to graguna
graguna said:

This is like the last Christmas gift that was delayed in shipping and is arriving a few weeks late.

Charlie Brown?
RedlessWardrobe
11:17a, 5/11/24
As usual I'm lazy. Would someone be cool enough to post a link to the NBA draft entrants that still have college eligibility left? That would be our Christmas list.
brevity
11:46a, 5/11/24
In reply to RedlessWardrobe
RedlessWardrobe said:

As usual I'm lazy. Would someone be cool enough to post a link to the NBA draft entrants that still have college eligibility left? That would be our Christmas list.

Rookie Scale 2024 NBA Draft Early Entrant Tracker

Note the icons to the left of each name. The "100" means he's all in and foregoing any remaining eligibility. The ocean wave means he's testing the waters and could return to college. The globe means he's been playing overseas. Obviously, you'd be interested in the ocean waves.

In the Pre-Draft Team column, you can see which players are also in the transfer portal, and whether they've chosen a destination school. The two-way arrow icon shows the ones that have yet to choose where they might play college ball if they withdraw from the draft:

Achor Achor, Samford to ?
Cam Christie, Minnesota to ?
Cedric Coward, Eastern Washington to ?
Garwey Dual, Providence to ?
Noah Farrakhan, West Virginia to ?
Tyler Harris, Portland to ?
Coleman Hawkins, Illinois to ?
AJ Hoggard, Michigan State to ?
Bronny James, USC to ?
Arthur Kaluma, Kansas State to ?
Miles Kelly, Georgia Tech to ?
Chaz Lanier, North Florida to ?
Zarique Nutter, Northern Illinois to ?
Ugonna Onyenso, Kentucky to ?
Great Osobor, Utah State to ?
Wooga Poplar, Miami to ?
Kasean Pryor, South Florida to ?
Jordan Riley, Temple to ?
Jaxson Robinson, BYU to ?
JT Toppin, New Mexico to ?
Yacine Toumi, Evansville to ?
Jaykwon Walton, Memphis to ?
Jaylen Wells, Washington State to ?

I don't know how updated this list is (I left off Tulane's Sion James, to committed to Duke yesterday), and it doesn't show players who may have already narrowed their searches down to specific finalists. But it's a good starting point.
RedlessWardrobe
12:24p, 5/11/24
Thanks so much Brevity! This is really mind blowing. I can't really imagine how this plays out and who we could end up with.
sluggo
5:53p, 5/11/24
RedlessWardrobe said:

Thanks so much Brevity! This is really mind blowing. I can't really imagine how this plays out and who we could end up with.
My guess is that it will be someone underwhelming. Right now it is a sellers market with no one else able to enter the portal (except, I believe, grad transfers). And school does not start for three months, so there is no hurry. Whoever is available can wait to squeeze out every dollar, and Cal does not have the biggest NIL program.

Of course I could be wrong, since I don't have any real information. But this is what makes sense to me.
Pittstop
6:31p, 5/11/24
In reply to brevity
brevity said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

Rookie Scale 2024 NBA Draft Early Entrant Tracker

Note the icons to the left of each name. The "100" means he's all in and foregoing any remaining eligibility. The ocean wave means he's testing the waters and could return to college. The globe means he's been playing overseas. Obviously, you'd be interested in the ocean waves.

In the Pre-Draft Team column, you can see which players are also in the transfer portal, and whether they've chosen a destination school. The two-way arrow icon shows the ones that have yet to choose where they might play college ball if they withdraw from the draft:

Achor Achor, Samford to ?
Cam Christie, Minnesota to ?
Cedric Coward, Eastern Washington to ?
Garwey Dual, Providence to ?
Noah Farrakhan, West Virginia to ?
Tyler Harris, Portland to ?
Coleman Hawkins, Illinois to ?
AJ Hoggard, Michigan State to ?
Bronny James, USC to ?
Arthur Kaluma, Kansas State to ?
Miles Kelly, Georgia Tech to ?
Chaz Lanier, North Florida to ?
Zarique Nutter, Northern Illinois to ?
Ugonna Onyenso, Kentucky to ?
Great Osobor, Utah State to ?
Wooga Poplar, Miami to ?
Kasean Pryor, South Florida to ?
Jordan Riley, Temple to ?
Jaxson Robinson, BYU to ?
JT Toppin, New Mexico to ?
Yacine Toumi, Evansville to ?
Jaykwon Walton, Memphis to ?
Jaylen Wells, Washington State to ?

I don't know how updated this list is (I left off Tulane's Sion James, to committed to Duke yesterday), and it doesn't show players who may have already narrowed their searches down to specific finalists. But it's a good starting point.

On my phone browser there is nothing "to the left" of any name onto the list. Just a question mark to the right of every name.
brevity
6:51p, 5/11/24
In reply to Pittstop
Pittstop said:

On my phone browser there is nothing "to the left" of any name onto the list. Just a question mark to the right of every name.

When you click the Rookie Scale link I provided above (or here, if you prefer), you will see those icons on their Early Entrant Tacker page. I just checked -- Google Chrome on an iPhone -- and the page appears just fine.

Now, if you're referring to the list of 23 names that I typed out in my previous post, then yes, no icons. I just did that to provide a quick summary and directly answer the question posed by RedlessWardrobe. Those are the only players who entered the draft AND the transfer portal, and have yet to decide where they might transfer if they withdraw from the draft and come back to college.

(Of course, there are many, many more players still in the transfer portal who did not declare for the draft. There are hundreds of them, and Verbal Commits does a good job of keeping track of who's still available.)
RedlessWardrobe
3:22a, 5/12/24
In reply to brevity
brevity said:

Pittstop said:

When you click the Rookie Scale link I provided above (or here, if you prefer), you will see those icons on their Early Entrant Tacker page. I just checked -- Google Chrome on an iPhone -- and the page appears just fine.

Now, if you're referring to the list of 23 names that I typed out in my previous post, then yes, no icons. I just did that to provide a quick summary and directly answer the question posed by RedlessWardrobe. Those are the only players who entered the draft AND the transfer portal, and have yet to decide where they might transfer if they withdraw from the draft and come back to college.

(Of course, there are many, many more players still in the transfer portal who did not declare for the draft. There are hundreds of them, and Verbal Commits does a good job of keeping track of who's still available.)
Brevity, again thanks a ton for your info, and please forgive me for my lack of complete knowledge. I understand the criteria of the 23 players you listed. Now, what is the situation concerning the players with remaining college eligibilty who entered the NBA draft but did not enter the transfer portal? If they pull out of the NBA draft, is the only remaining option they have is returning to their most previous college? If you could clarify that it would be greatly appreciated.
brevity
9:51a, 5/12/24
RedlessWardrobe said:

Now, what is the situation concerning the players with remaining college eligibilty who entered the NBA draft but did not enter the transfer portal? If they pull out of the NBA draft, is the only remaining option they have is returning to their most previous college? If you could clarify that it would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, that is correct. If a player is testing the waters and did not also enter the transfer portal, they generally have two choices: they either go pro or return to the same school. They cannot play college basketball anywhere else.

Technically, there IS a third option for them, but it's rare: they can go overseas and continue to play as an amateur, preparing themselves for a better chance in the next year's draft. Bobi Klintman played at Wake Forest as a freshman in 2022-2023, declared for the 2023 draft, told Wake he would not return, but then withdrew from the draft anyway. He went to Australia to participate in their National Basketball League's Next Stars program, retaining his amateur status. Now he's back for the 2024 draft.
RedlessWardrobe
10:31a, 5/12/24
Got it. Again my thanks.
Intuit
11:19a, 5/12/24
Brevity, do you think Cal's remaining scholarship will be filled by one of the "23" you listed? Can your "23" be subdivided in any manner to improve or rank the player's likelihood of meeting Madson's selection criteria.
barsad
12:26p, 5/12/24
I guess this explains the hanging 13th scholarship, maybe it's there for many other schools. Instead of traditional recruiting for the last spot, you just wait until June to see who falls out of the NBA draft (which is pretty much everyone on this list who does not have "100" next to their name). We could catch a Big Kahuna this way.
Every year I'm amazed at how many players think they have a path to the NBA… you just have to look at the available spaces on rosters to know that very few in the 2nd round will ever see minutes at the pro level (I know there are plenty of deep draft examples, just talking probabilities). Most of these students would improve their chances at the NBA by staying at one school for 3-4 years.
brevity
12:32p, 5/12/24
In reply to Intuit
Intuit said:

Brevity, do you think Cal's remaining scholarship will be filled by one of the "23" you listed? Can your "23" be subdivided in any manner to improve or rank the player's likelihood of meeting Madson's selection criteria.
Let me preface this by saying that I am a total outsider. I do not know much about Coach Mark Madsen and his selection criteria. I am not local to the Bay Area, and I'm very new to this board. I'm connected only in the sense that I have an Internet connection, and I have researched and collected a ton of college basketball links.

It seems, at least to me, that Cal is far more likely to complete its roster with someone among the hundreds of players still in the transfer portal who did not declare for the NBA Draft, and far less likely to be able to grab one of those 23 portal players who did declare and might later choose to withdraw.

For example, Joe Tipton of On3 posted this list of schools interested in Kevin Patton Jr, a 6-8 guard in the portal who just completed his freshman year at San Diego:

In the absence of any inside info, all of the 23 players I listed above seem like longshots. You might be able to rule a few of them out already.

Coleman Hawkins, a 6-10 forward at Illinois, is focused on the draft right now, but in the event he does return to school for his super senior year, he's narrowed his choices to Arkansas, Kansas State, Louisville, and UNC.

Great Osobor, a 6-8 big man from Utah State, is probably leaning toward withdrawing from the draft, but already has three finalists in Louisville, Texas Tech, and Washington.

Bronny James is also believed to be sticking to the draft, and while he hasn't expressed a college destination, his father is very close to Duquesne: former coach Keith Dambrot was his high school coach, and new coach Dru Joyce was his high school teammate.

Pittstop
5:16p, 5/12/24
RedlessWardrobe said:

brevity said:

Pittstop said:

Brevity, again thanks a ton for your info, and please forgive me for my lack of complete knowledge. I understand the criteria of the 23 players you listed. Now, what is the situation concerning the players with remaining college eligibilty who entered the NBA draft but did not enter the transfer portal? If they pull out of the NBA draft, is the only remaining option they have is returning to their most previous college? If you could clarify that it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brevity.
RedlessWardrobe
5:16p, 5/12/24
Again Brevity, amazing stuff! It's starting to feel like the more we know, the less we know. I've burnt out my speculation energy. I'm gonna roll with things the way they are and feel like with all of the newcomers, if seven or eight are decent players we'll have an entertaining season.
Pittstop
5:23p, 5/12/24
In reply to Pittstop
Pittstop said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

brevity said:

Pittstop said:

Thanks, Brev.
brevity
8:30a, 5/13/24
Cal is also getting involved with 6-foot Colgate point guard Braeden Smith, who was the Patriot League Player of the Year as a sophomore last season.

From On3:
Quote:

This past season, Smith averaged 12.5 points, 5.5 rebounds and 5.6 assists per game while shooting 39.3% from the field and 31.1% from beyond the arc. In Colgate's 92-67 loss to Baylor in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, Smith tallied 10 points, four rebounds and two steals.

And here's his highlight video:

Edited to add: Jon Rothstein has the same info as Jeff Goodman above, but he added that "A return to Colgate is also an option."
bearmanpg
9:30a, 5/13/24
I have seen Cedric Coward from EWU for a couple years now....he is the real deal...thin build but rebounds good...can shoot from 3 or take it to the hole...where ever he goes, he will be productive...Originally from Fresno so might want to play closer to home...
BearSD
10:20a, 5/13/24
In reply to brevity
brevity said:

Great Osobor, a 6-8 big man from Utah State, is probably leaning toward withdrawing from the draft, but already has three finalists in Louisville, Texas Tech, and Washington.

Osobor is reportedly getting $2 million to play for Washington next season.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/40137329/great-osobor-transferring-washington-big-nil-deals
bearsandgiants
10:49a, 5/13/24
I wouldn't have turned down 2million to attend Cal my final year.
barsad
11:50a, 5/13/24
In reply to bearsandgiants
2 million to play college ball! How can a publicly funded institution justify having a student employee with that salary (we really should just call them student employees… no different from the kid who answers phones at a department office desk, except more zeroes on the check)?
What is Cal's max deal, does anyone have a guess?
I've said it elsewhere, Cal should form a no-NIL or NIL-capped conference of like-minded top academic schools. Call it the Pac Clean Conference, the old PCC.
01Bear
12:37p, 5/13/24
In reply to barsad
barsad said:

2 million to play college ball! How can a publicly funded institution justify having a student employee with that salary (we really should just call them student employees… no different from the kid who answers phones at a department office desk, except more zeroes on the check)?
I've said it elsewhere, Cal should form a no-NIL or NIL-capped conference of like-minded top academic schools. Call it the Pac Clean Conference, the old PCC.

Then you don't understand why kids are suddenly allowed to get NIL money. The Supreme Court unanimously found that the NCAA's rule banning student athletes from receiving compensation beyond scholarships was a violation of antitrust laws. This paired with numerous states, led by California, explicitly legislating the right for student athletes to receive payment for use of their NIL created the marketplace we see today. If Cal were to follow your advice, it would get sued ten ways to Sunday and lose all those cases, thereby incurring unnecessary legal fees. Moreover, it would destroy Cal's athletic programs as the best student athletes would go elsewhere.

Finally, it's always been ridiculous that student athletes were not compensated while those who coached them made generational wealth for doing so. The student athletes were the ones shedding the blood, sweat, and tears on the field or hardwood, not the coaches. This hypocrisy became even more ridiculous when college sports became a billion dollar business and kids saw their images sold by their schools and the NCAA but they received nothing in return.
Pittstop
2:49p, 5/13/24
In reply to barsad
barsad said:

Well, "the colleges" aren't actually paying them. The "independent collectives" are paying them, or the private businesses and organizations that sponsor their NIL opportunities. So they aren't exactly on 'the schools' payrolls.
Pittstop
2:54p, 5/13/24
In reply to brevity
brevity said:

Intuit said:

Let me preface this by saying that I am a total outsider. I do not know much about Coach Mark Madsen and his selection criteria. I am not local to the Bay Area, and I'm very new to this board. I'm connected only in the sense that I have an Internet connection, and I have researched and collected a ton of college basketball links.

It seems, at least to me, that Cal is far more likely to complete its roster with someone among the hundreds of players still in the transfer portal who did not declare for the NBA Draft, and far less likely to be able to grab one of those 23 portal players who did declare and might later choose to withdraw.

For example, Joe Tipton of On3 posted this list of schools interested in Kevin Patton Jr, a 6-8 guard in the portal who just completed his freshman year at San Diego:

In the absence of any inside info, all of the 23 players I listed above seem like longshots. You might be able to rule a few of them out already.

Coleman Hawkins, a 6-10 forward at Illinois, is focused on the draft right now, but in the event he does return to school for his super senior year, he's narrowed his choices to Arkansas, Kansas State, Louisville, and UNC.

Bronny James is also believed to be sticking to the draft, and while he hasn't expressed a college destination, his father is very close to Duquesne: former coach Keith Dambrot was his high school coach, and new coach Dru Joyce was his high school teammate.

Bronny measured 6'1 1/2" at the NBA Combine. So definitely not an NBA SG. Would have to kill it as a ball handler and playmaker to make it as a defensive minded NBA PG. Maybe Pat Bev lite.
barsad
11:52p, 5/13/24
In reply to 01Bear
Couldn't disagree with you more 01Bear, and it's not just the condescending way you mansplained NIL.
Here's what you might want to consider next time you're drinking the NIL Kool-Aid:
- One Supreme Court case is not the final word on an issue like this. It's never worked that way on any controversial issue I can think of. There will be challenges to it as schools try to control this chaos that has been unleashed, and aa students sue for other problems that arise. The NIL process today is not the one we'll have in 2034.
- There is already precedent in pro sports for governing sports organizations capping payrolls … of course the same would apply, and be perfectly legal, for college.
- Banning colluding restrictions on pay is NOT the same as "you must offer X money for Y service."
- You must have missed or purposely ignored my argument about all-student equity. I wasn't comparing unpaid students to millionaire coaches (or worse, coaches like Fox who ruin programs, then take the money and run). I was comparing student athletes and regular working students. Does one student expend more "blood, sweat and tears" for the university because he has a basketball in his hand instead of a lab beaker? Making an equity argument for an 18-year-old to make $2 mil is ridiculous. The players' pay scale comps are not coaches, its their non-athletic peers they are sitting next to in class.
- Non-athletes and athletes who get paid to do "work" on university grounds are not different, and should not be valued differently, because you cut the check from a different bank account and called the entity a "collective."

I get it… the whole Forum is made up of NIL donors, and you believe you're doing God's work by making Cal competitive. You are, in the short term, I'm just saying it's worth questioning the status quo.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings