Jorge in the Hall of Fame
3,182 Views | 34 Replies
HoopDreams
6:18p, 4/24/24
Jorge has been at the top of my Cal Hall of Fame (all sports) but good to see he's getting the recognition

Congrats!

CALiforniALUM
7:33p, 4/24/24
My favorite Bear. On both sides of the court.
graguna
7:55p, 4/24/24
In reply to CALiforniALUM
CALiforniALUM said:

My favorite Bear. On both sides of the court.
mine as well
WalterSobchak
8:14p, 4/24/24
Well deserved. Congrats Jorge!
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
75bear
8:39p, 4/24/24
Jorge epitomized what a Golden Bear should be. Whatever shortcomings he had in certain talent departments, he more than made up for them with his grit, determination and hard work.

I can't think of a more deserving Cal alum of the past 20 years. Congrats Jorge!
bluehenbear
9:16p, 4/24/24
If he wants to start a career in coaching, I hope a stop at Cal will be in his future
BEAR2dBONE
10:04p, 4/24/24
I still have that stellar game from 2012, featuring Jorge, Harper, Crabbe, Cobbs & (freshman) Kravish at UCla. A very good , as usual, bRuin team but a world class for the ages Cal squad....on my DVR, never ever to be erased. I'm able to watch it like I was there going as a time traveler.
What a gem of a team that was. Sigh. GO BEARS.
GMP
11:22p, 4/24/24
Congrats, Jorge! A truly great Bear with an incredible story.
BC Calfan
8:23a, 4/25/24
I watch this video a couple times a year.

WalterSobchak
10:02a, 4/25/24
In reply to BC Calfan
That dribble right, reverse ball spin back, finish left. Wow. Don't know what you've got 'till it's gone.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
SBGold
12:51p, 4/25/24
In reply to BC Calfan
BC Calfan said:

Probably the gutsiest game I've ever seen by a Cal Bear
HearstMining
1:47p, 4/25/24
What I liked about Jorge was that he came in with decent athleticism, a hard-nosed attitude on defense, and not much else. Then each year, he added something: improved ball handling, an outside shot, improved court vision, etc. I can't think of many players who improved so much during their four years at Cal.
Intuit
2:32p, 4/25/24
An amazing Cal player. Clearly earned all of his accolades and Hall of Fame recognition.
01Bear
4:20p, 4/25/24
In reply to SBGold
SBGold said:

BC Calfan said:

Probably the gutsiest game I've ever seen by a Cal Bear

I always thought he deserved the nickname "Guts," even aside from his surname. He always played a very gutsy game. He was a great player!
calbearsfan
6:27p, 4/25/24
Should of happened long before this as having his number retired
MSaviolives
6:49p, 4/25/24
At the free throw line...Jorge Gutierrez....shooting...dos
HoopDreams
9:35p, 4/25/24
In reply to MSaviolives
MSaviolives said:

At the free throw line...Jorge Gutierrez....shooting...dos
bearister
12:07p, 4/26/24
I don't recall a better defensive player. A great Cal Bear. No thread hijack intended, but since we are on the subject of a Latino hoopster, how bad @$$ is Jaime Jaquez Jr.in the playoffs…..and I dig the Three Musketeers Van Dyke facial hair. He is cool.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BeachedBear
1:03p, 4/26/24
In reply to bearister
bearister said:

I don't recall a better defensive player. A great Cal Bear. No thread hijack intended, but since we are on the subject of a Latino hoopster, how bad @$$ is Jaime Jaquez Jr.in the playoffs…..and I dig the Three Musketeers Van Dyke facial hair. He is cool.
The guy went to UCLA, so F him and all, but he was simply a baller. Does it all and makes every team better.

Jorge was like that too. So not a thread hijack, since I brought it full circle.
bearister
3:05p, 4/26/24
In reply to BeachedBear
Mini hijack: I fancy my self a talent scout in sports, music and the dramatic arts. I have had huge fails. I never predicted Aaron Gordon would become the player that could rip down 15 boards and paste 29 points in an NBA playoff game.
GMP
4:00p, 4/26/24
In reply to BeachedBear
BeachedBear said:

bearister said:

The guy went to UCLA, so F him and all, but he was simply a baller. Does it all and makes every team better.

Jorge was like that too. So not a thread hijack, since I brought it full circle.

Also at the dunk contest Jaime honored the Mexican/Mexican-American hoopers who came before him, including Jorge. I thought that was very cool. Too bad our program sucked so bad we didn't land him.
HoopDreams
7:52p, 4/26/24
In Honor of Jorge being inducted to the Cal Athletics Hall of Fame, I made my third donation to the Cal Legends campaign recognizing the new Chancellor of the University of California, Rich Lyons

Only 5 days remaining in the campaign and Madsen is closing on some top players to complete the roster

http://spot.fund/bnjhdsc

bearister
9:27a, 4/27/24
In reply to GMP
As I recall you are the fella that disagreed with my Aaron Gordon NBA scouting report. I get fired. You get the raise.
GMP
11:15a, 4/27/24
In reply to bearister
bearister said:

As I recall you are the fella that disagreed with my Aaron Gordon NBA scouting report. I get fired. You get the raise.

I cannot lie. I have a pretty good track record of scouting Pac-10/12 players.

My biggest win was Markelle Fultz. I did NOT get the hype at all. I also liked Klay a LOT more than people here.
bearister
2:28p, 4/27/24
In reply to GMP
I got Klay right the first time I saw him in Haas as a freshman. In 2013 I patted myself on the back by linking a 2011 discussion thread about Klay but it looks like 2011 BI forums got scrubbed.

https://bearinsider.com/forums/3/topics/16087
HoopDreams
3:58p, 4/27/24
You guys are diluting the Jorge thread, but I can fix that…

http://spot.fund/bnjhdsc

flounder
5:01p, 4/27/24
In reply to BC Calfan
BC Calfan said:

sanders-frison was a nice big bodied finisher under the bucket
bearister
6:17p, 4/27/24
Offensive players that build respect get 4 steps now and then. Defensive players that build respect are allowed a mugging now and then.
01Bear
6:58p, 4/27/24
In reply to flounder
flounder said:

BC Calfan said:

sanders-frison was a nice big bodied finisher under the bucket

Sanders-Frison was one of my favorite Cal bigs. He was undersized but he didn't play that way. He used his strength to good effect in the post.
SFCityBear
12:59a, 5/2/24
How about we get back on topic?

This:

Haas Pavilion
December 16, 2011

Cal vs Weber State

Jorge mano a mano with Damian Lillard, both Seniors

Lillard: 36 minutes, 4/17 FGs, 3 Assists, 3 Rebounds, 14 points

Jorge: 33 minutes, 8/12 FGs, 3 Assists, 5 Rebounds, 24 points

Final Score: Weber St 57 Cal 77

Jorge shut Lillard down, holding him to 10 points below his average.

One of Jorge's best games ever.
SFCityBear
bearister
8:33a, 5/2/24
In reply to SFCityBear
SFCB, I upvoted your comment to the Blue Zone. At least Lillard has this to console himself with:

Lillard's career on-court earnings will reach $450 million through the expiration of his contract in 2027, according to Spotrac, which ranks behind only Kevin Durant and Stephen Curry.
SFCityBear
4:33p, 5/2/24
In reply to bearister
bearister said:

SFCB, I upvoted your comment to the Blue Zone. At least Lillard has this to console himself with:

Lillard's career on-court earnings will reach $450 million through the expiration of his contract in 2027, according to Spotrac, which ranks behind only Kevin Durant and Stephen Curry.
Thanks Bearister.

Lillard should cut Jorge in on some of that scratch, for not being too hard on him. NBA scouts could have been watching. It seems like they missed that game altogether.

It could have been worse. Jorge could have shut him down even more by concentrating more on defense, instead of scoring all those points on Lillard.
SFCityBear
HoopDreams
9:39p, 5/2/24
SF Chron article about Jorge as a freshmen and the comeback win over Stanford

https://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/gutierrez-gets-it-done-in-bears-big-comeback-3250926.php

Excerpt:

"With seven minutes left in Saturday afternoon's game against Stanford, four Cal players sprinted to the corner of Haas Pavilion to pick Jorge Gutierrez up off the floor.

It was the least they could do, considering his game-changing and maybe season-saving play lifted the Bears from seemingly sure defeat.

Gutierrez tied his career high with 10 points and set new personal marks with eight rebounds and five steals in leading Cal from a 22-point deficit to an 82-75 victory that moved the Bears into a second-place tie with UCLA and Arizona State..."

Gutierrez "just guards like eight guys. He runs around and finds the ball," coach Mike Montgomery said. "His energy, his anticipation and his hands were so valuable to us, because he was the one guy who was able to create an advantage for us."

SBGold
9:44p, 5/2/24
In reply to HoopDreams
HoopDreams said:

SF Chron article about Jorge as a freshmen and the comeback win over Stanford

https://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/gutierrez-gets-it-done-in-bears-big-comeback-3250926.php

Excerpt:

"With seven minutes left in Saturday afternoon's game against Stanford, four Cal players sprinted to the corner of Haas Pavilion to pick Jorge Gutierrez up off the floor.

It was the least they could do, considering his game-changing and maybe season-saving play lifted the Bears from seemingly sure defeat.

Gutierrez tied his career high with 10 points and set new personal marks with eight rebounds and five steals in leading Cal from a 22-point deficit to an 82-75 victory that moved the Bears into a second-place tie with UCLA and Arizona State..."

Gutierrez "just guards like eight guys. He runs around and finds the ball," coach Mike Montgomery said. "His energy, his anticipation and his hands were so valuable to us, because he was the one guy who was able to create an advantage for us."

I was there for that one. Just an amazing performance and comeback
HoopDreams
9:47p, 5/10/24
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE