Madsen's priorities
4,568 Views | 32 Replies
SFCityBear
5:16p, 4/13/24
We need almost an entirely new rotation roster. Cal's major missing piece last season was a point guard. We had no leader on the floor, no quarterback. In crunch time ( which was nearly all the time, it was give the ball to Tyson and he will make something happen. He is a special player.

We also needed a shooting guard so Tyson could play as a small forward for most of the game. We needed better three point shooting. The hype we were fed was that Cal would assemble a team that would start several players who would average 40% on threes, as several of those players had done that in the past. Several of the new players disappointed in that, probably due to playing against better teams and better defenses than they had played against before.

I am not sold on the portal being the place we should focus on for talent. You can find talented players there as Madsen did, but all he did (which was a lot) was to quickly raise Cal from the basement to the first floor, just below average, and now the cupboard is empty and we have to watch him start all over again. The portal is full of players who were unhappy where they were playing. You don't jump schools if you are happy where you are. These are the players who may very well think of jumping ship again, as what has happened to Cal now.

I think the two most important positions are the point guard and the center, maybe less so than in the past, but those are still the players you build a team around. Therefore I think Madsen should recruit high schools and maybe JCs, for those two players, and not use the Portal as his primary source for them. I think center and point guard should be players who want to stay 3 or 4 years. The center and point guard should have the potential to play really good defense, because of the need to stop the ball at the point of attack, and the need to not give up easy buckets in the paint. These two positions need to focus the most on learning the game and learning team play on defense and offense. I think it takes 1, 2, or-3 years to develop into good solid college players at these positions. Shooters, scorers are a dime a dozen, in the Portal and in the recruiting pool. Going forward, I think teams will need to adapt their strategies to recruiting, and focus on getting some players who you can depend on to stay a few years, and provide the stability and glue to keep a program at a high level, alongside recruiting in the portal for need.
SFCityBear
oskidunker
5:44p, 4/13/24
In reply to SFCityBear
SFCityBear said:

We need almost an entirely new rotation roster. Cal's major missing piece last season was a point guard. We had no leader on the floor, no quarterback. In crunch time ( which was nearly all the time, it was give the ball to Tyson and he will make something happen. He is a special player.

We also needed a shooting guard so Tyson could play as a small forward for most of the game. We needed better three point shooting. The hype we were fed was that Cal would assemble a team that would start several players who would average 40% on threes, as several of those players had done that in the past. Several of the new players disappointed in that, probably due to playing against better teams and better defenses than they had played against before.

I am not sold on the portal being the place we should focus on for talent. You can find talented players there as Madsen did, but all he did (which was a lot) was to quickly raise Cal from the basement to the first floor, just below average, and now the cupboard is empty and we have to watch him start all over again. The portal is full of players who were unhappy where they were playing. You don't jump schools if you are happy where you are. These are the players who may very well think of jumping ship again, as what has happened to Cal now.

I think the two most important positions are the point guard and the center, maybe less so than in the past, but those are still the players you build a team around. Therefore I think Madsen should recruit high schools and maybe JCs, for those two players, and not use the Portal as his primary source for them. I think center and point guard should be players who want to stay 3 or 4 years. The center and point guard should have the potential to play really good defense, because of the need to stop the ball at the point of attack, and the need to not give up easy buckets in the paint. These two positions need to focus the most on learning the game and learning team play on defense and offense. I think it takes 1, 2, or-3 years to develop into good solid college players at these positions. Shooters, scorers are a dime a dozen, in the Portal and in the recruiting pool. Going forward, I think teams will need to adapt their strategies to recruiting, and focus on getting some players who you can depend on to stay a few years, and provide the stability and glue to keep a program at a high level, alongside recruiting in the portal for need.

Well we have one jc player, so thats a start . There has been no mention of the JC center that was on the 30-0 championship team. He must be aware of him. I forget name but will look it up. I am not excited about someone from San Jose State. We need a proven point from a major school not an ivy league guy who plays well in the preseason and then is unable to perform in conference. We need a center that can block shots .
Go Bears!
Johnfox
5:51p, 4/13/24
In reply to SFCityBear
Well Lee Dort is a center that is young and hasn't reached full potential. I totally agree that the PG and Center are such important positions (Tristen Newton and Donovan Clingan).
Johnfox
5:52p, 4/13/24
In reply to oskidunker
I'm hoping for Justice Ajogbor. Myron Amey Jr. out of SJSU would not be a bad add (more of a SG). Arturo Dean would be a great add at PG.
75bear
9:44p, 4/13/24
In reply to SFCityBear
The problem with the current state of college basketball is any high school player we recruit and build up will end up transferring. Most teams have a new slate of players each and every year, this is the new normal unfortunately.

We can embrace it, or fall further behind.
HoopDreams
11:39p, 4/13/24
it would be great to sign a center who can score, but I think the most important thing for a true center is to be able to defend and rebound. And as discussed in another thread, good defense is not blocks and steals although those are valuable and good indicators of defense.

But what is important defensive indicators of a center is how they change shots, and whether they can defend on the perimeter, and against unfavorable match ups on a forced switch
6956bear
5:29a, 4/14/24
In reply to SFCityBear
SFCityBear said:

SF City Bear I really appreciate your POV. But that is no longer how roster building works. We can all wish for the days of Pete Newell again. Or even Monty. But they are gone. The players want to play. Immediately. And they want to be paid. If they are expected to develop they will go somewhere else where they will play and get a bag.

I hate what the game has become. But that is what it is. Until they change the rules. Players want to play. Fans are being asked to pony up so the program can buy a team. And if the coach does not win immediately the fans will be reluctant to feed the collective.

This is pay for play. Free agency. I agree in principle with much of what you say. But it ain't happening. Not anymore.
RedlessWardrobe
7:17a, 4/14/24
All real good posts on this thread.
I think we can all conclude that Madsen's recruiting task is becoming the equivalent of walking a tightrope. Between NIL, transfer portal, academics, and the fact that he didn't have much of a base to being with, he needs to perform a balancing act in order to achieve success.
calumnus
2:36p, 4/14/24
In reply to 6956bear
6956bear said:

SFCityBear said:

SF City Bear I really appreciate your POV. But that is no longer how roster building works. We can all wish for the days of Pete Newell again. Or even Monty. But they are gone. The players want to play. Immediately. And they want to be paid. If they are expected to develop they will go somewhere else where they will play and get a bag.

I hate what the game has become. But that is what it is. Until they change the rules. Players want to play. Fans are being asked to pony up so the program can buy a team. And if the coach does not win immediately the fans will be reluctant to feed the collective.

This is pay for play. Free agency. I agree in principle with much of what you say. But it ain't happening. Not anymore.

Also, we did not "lose" anyone to the Portal that Madsen brought in through the Portal. We have a complete rebuild because the players Madsen brought in are one year players. We are also continuing to lose the players Fox brought in out of HS or through the Portal, some of whom will have a Cal degree (Celestine and Askew) but also Curtis and Brown.

I agree it will be a test to see if Madsen can build a better team than last year's and how they deal with the travel involved in the ACC.
oskidunker
3:01p, 4/14/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

6956bear said:

SFCityBear said:

Also, we did not "lose" anyone to the Portal that Madsen brought in through the Portal. We have a complete rebuild because the players Madsen brought in are one year players. We are also continuing to lose the players Fox brought in out of HS or through the Portal, some of whom will have a Cal degree (Celestine and Askew) but also Curtis and Brown.

I agree it will be a test to see if Madsen can build a better team than last year's and how they deal with the travel involved in the ACC.

Curtis is not in the portal unless it happened re ently
Go Bears!
stu
4:32p, 4/14/24
In reply to oskidunker
oskidunker said:

calumnus said:

6956bear said:

SFCityBear said:

I think Fox HS recruits who entered the portal this season without a Cal degree include Newell, Okafor, and Brown.
59bear
5:35p, 4/14/24
In reply to SFCityBear
SFCityBear said:

Problem is, the only olayers who want to stay 4 years these days are walk-ons and projects. Even those of modest ability have delusions of an NBA future or think they can enhance their development (or score some NIL$$) by jumping to another school in the portal. Like it or not, free agency is the order of the day until some restriction of player movement is restored through negotiation or legislation.
HoopDreams
8:08p, 4/14/24
In reply to 59bear
I posted on another thread I saw walkon freshman Adrian Claiborne in a pickup game in the RSF Friday

He is 6-3 and very athletic and fast with a good handle

Not sure of his shooting and didn't look like a point guard but if he can become a good defender he can get on the court

59bear said:

SFCityBear said:

Problem is, the only olayers who want to stay 4 years these days are walk-ons and projects. Even those of modest ability have delusions of an NBA future or think they can enhance their development (or score some NIL$$) by jumping to another school in the portal. Like it or not, free agency is the order of the day until some restriction of player movement is restored through negotiation or legislation.
calumnus
8:41p, 4/14/24
In reply to stu
stu said:

oskidunker said:

calumnus said:

6956bear said:

SFCityBear said:

I think Fox HS recruits who entered the portal this season without a Cal degree include Newell, Okafor, and Brown.

Yes, of course. Thanks for the correction.
SFCityBear
10:54p, 4/18/24
In reply to oskidunker
oskidunker said:

SFCityBear said:

Well we have one jc player, so thats a start . There has been no mention of the JC center that was on the 30-0 championship team. He must be aware of him. I forget name but will look it up. I am not excited about someone from San Jose State. We need a proven point from a major school not an ivy league guy who plays well in the preseason and then is unable to perform in conference. We need a center that can block shots .
Grant Mullin was an Ivy League guy. Columbia, and signed by Cuonzo Martin. He was a very good player for Cal, a 5 or 6 tool player. Cal has a desperate need for a point guard. I'd take a Grant Mullin any day of the week, wouldn't you?
SFCityBear
Civil Bear
11:19p, 4/18/24
In reply to SFCityBear
SFCityBear said:

Grant Mullin was an Ivy League guy. Columbia, and signed by Cuonzo Martin. He was a very good player for Cal, a 5 or 6 tool player. Cal has a desperate need for a point guard. I'd take a Grant Mullin any day of the week, wouldn't you?
As our starting pg? I hope we can do better. As a backup 2? Absolutely.
SFCityBear
1:21a, 4/19/24
In reply to 6956bear
6956bear said:

SFCityBear said:

First of all, what roster building? There is very little roster building. How is bringing a team of one and done or two and done players building anything except the players' bank accounts? Where did I say anything about the days of Pete Newell? My post was in response to what I am reading in this thread, which was there was only one place to recruit and that was the portal. Let me ask then, if the only place you are going to recruit, the only place where all teams are going to try and recruit, is the portal, then the the portal will eventually begin to run out of good players for teams to recruit. It is just arithmetic or algebra.. If teams stop recruiting freshmen, or even just reduce the amount of freshmen they recruit, then the portal starts to dry up, doesn't it? When there are fewer freshmen entering college, then their are fewer players in college working to build enough of a reputation to enter the portal. Show me where that is wrong.

I think you still need to recruit a few freshmen to fill some roster spots. Average players with real potential but with average or below average ranking. There are some good prospects in Europe. Serbia, Africa, Australia, etc. I would not try and recruit 4 or 5 star high school players, unless they were really outstanding. Then they leave in a year, and so what? I would take a few average high school recruits with potential, and give them the coaching they need to get into the portal in 1, 2 or 3 years. Players who would realize what great coaching they would get at Cal, along with the education, which is frosting on the cake. Many will understand why they will need that, when they have to end their careers due to injury, or just not being good enough to get to the higher levels. Of course, this assumes we have a great coach, and I haven't seen that yet. My jury is still out on Madsen. He will have a very tough road, like most coaches will, I assume. Bringing in a mostly new roster every year won't be a picnic.
SFCityBear
calumnus
3:18a, 4/19/24
In reply to SFCityBear
SFCityBear said:

6956bear said:

SFCityBear said:

First of all, what roster building? There is very little roster building. How is bringing a team of one and done or two and done players building anything except the players' bank accounts? Where did I say anything about the days of Pete Newell? My post was in response to what I am reading in this thread, which was there was only one place to recruit and that was the portal. Let me ask then, if the only place you are going to recruit, the only place where all teams are going to try and recruit, is the portal, then the the portal will eventually begin to run out of good players for teams to recruit. It is just arithmetic or algebra.. If teams stop recruiting freshmen, or even just reduce the amount of freshmen they recruit, then the portal starts to dry up, doesn't it? When there are fewer freshmen entering college, then their are fewer players in college working to build enough of a reputation to enter the portal. Show me where that is wrong.

I think you still need to recruit a few freshmen to fill some roster spots. Average players with real potential but with average or below average ranking. There are some good prospects in Europe. Serbia, Africa, Australia, etc. I would not try and recruit 4 or 5 star high school players, unless they were really outstanding. Then they leave in a year, and so what? I would take a few average high school recruits with potential, and give them the coaching they need to get into the portal in 1, 2 or 3 years. Players who would realize what great coaching they would get at Cal, along with the education, which is frosting on the cake. Many will understand why they will need that, when they have to end their careers due to injury, or just not being good enough to get to the higher levels. Of course, this assumes we have a great coach, and I haven't seen that yet. My jury is still out on Madsen. He will have a very tough road, like most coaches will, I assume. Bringing in a mostly new roster every year won't be a picnic.

What is happening in the Portal is teams like Cal are getting players who were successful at lower levels. That opens up openings at their former team for more freshmen, or players from even lower levels, or guys from higher levels moving down for playing time.

Other than top level freshmen, you will see more freshmen "projects" starting out st lower levels.

Put another way, all the slots on all the teams will be filled. For every player on college basketball that exhausts their eligibility or jumps to the NBA, a freshman will come into college basketball, just not necessarily the same team as the player that left.
6956bear
8:15a, 4/19/24
In reply to SFCityBear
SFCityBear said:

6956bear said:

SFCityBear said:

I agree with much of what you say. But roster building is what most folks are calling this trainwreck of transfer portal, NIL and immediate eligibility. So this is where Cal is. Madsen has a duty to try and win games. He is being paid to do so. How he chooses to build his team each season is up to him. But he needs to try and win.

I have said in a different thread that IMO the only spots worth throwing any real money at are spots 1 through 8 maybe 9. The end of the bench rarely plays but is needed for practice. And perhaps somebody in that group eventually develops into a useful player. But IMO utilizing the final 4 or scholarships on guys that value a Cal degree may prove beneficial. Less likely to transfer and less likely to make waves in the locker room.

You need to be very wary of the 13 scholarships you offer when you really want to use just 8 or 9 in rotation. So I think we agree that how you use the scholarships is crucial. I am not normally a big believer in JC players. But there are some that can help. Nwankwo fits that mold. Madsen also has Wilkinson coming in as a frosh recruit. He has tried with some others (HS recruits) and a couple still could be possible yet. Brody Kozlowski and Jase Butler both have offers. Pippen apparently has decided to go elsewhere.

I am 100% for using the portal to supplement rather than be the sole source of the yearly roster. But players now have complete freedom of movement and can move at a moments notice. NIL packages are clearly motivating the players. They gauge program interest in those terms and use other players as guides to what they believe they should get. Working their way up is not a thing these days.

I do agree with you regarding Madsen. He walked into a bad situation. But his actual coaching IMO was nothing special. In fact his end of game coaching was particularly poor IMO. But finding a coach that can recruit and coach is difficult. Many of the best coaches (by record) are slimeball cheating recruiters. Many great actual coaches are found at the lower levels of D1 or lower. But fans will not accept them and winning along with NIL is what players gravitate to.

I find it interesting that UW hired Sprinkle to be their HC and one of his first hires is Tony Bland. He of the basketball shoe FBI scandal. That is where hoops is these days. Win. We do not care how. Madsen needs to win. Cal does not have the same win at any cost mentatlity that many do, but make no mistake he needs to win. So using the portal to find players that he believes can play now is a primary strategy. He literally has no choice. But I do agree that how he fills the last few spots on the roster will be crucial. You cannot have players that do not play make waves. There is enough turmoil trying to keep players 1 through 8 reasonably happy. Not to mention the parents and others of these players that believe their little Johnny or Joey is the next LeBron or Steph.
HearstMining
10:02a, 4/19/24
One other factor with HS recruiting is that it's frequently a long cycle. Top players are contacted by colleges when they're in 8th grade! Sure, NIL has changed the game and a school with a big wallet can swoop in at the last minute to land a guy who was considered a sure-thing to go elsewhere. But in general, familiarity with a program still counts with HS recruits and their families - and probably the younger Euro recruits, too. Conversely, portal relationships are established and cemented in a week or two.

Madsen came to Cal too late last year to establish HS recruiting relationships. I think/hope that future recruiting classes will gradually skew towards more first-year recruits, but unless/until there are NIL rule changes, I'll bet teams will be 50%-60% transfers - and let's face it, I'd take any rotation player (and many non-rotation players) from a Top 25 team as long as they were decent guys and decent students.
SFCityBear
12:29a, 4/20/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

6956bear said:

SFCityBear said:

What is happening in the Portal is teams like Cal are getting players who were successful at lower levels. That opens up openings at their former team for more freshmen, or players from even lower levels, or guys from higher levels moving down for playing time.

Other than top level freshmen, you will see more freshmen "projects" starting out st lower levels.

Put another way, all the slots on all the teams will be filled. For every player on college basketball that exhausts their eligibility or jumps to the NBA, a freshman will come into college basketball, just not necessarily the same team as the player that left.
Could you factor injuries into this analysis? Most of the portal transfers Cal has landed in the last few years were injured players:

Fardaws left his previous school because he didn't like the way the coach was pushing him to recover faster from a serious ankle injury

Cone missed much of his last season at Virginia Tech with an ankle injury

Kennedy had a bad injury (self inflicted)

Clayton had numerous injuries over his college career.

Askew had a hernia and an eye injury (not sure if these were pre-Cal)

Forman had a foot injury

Hyder had an injured back.

Betley had a knee (patella) injury and missed a season with it.

South had an ankle injury.
SFCityBear
SFCityBear
12:45a, 4/20/24
In reply to 6956bear
6956bear said:

SFCityBear said:

6956bear said:

SFCityBear said:

I agree with much of what you say. But roster building is what most folks are calling this trainwreck of transfer portal, NIL and immediate eligibility. So this is where Cal is. Madsen has a duty to try and win games. He is being paid to do so. How he chooses to build his team each season is up to him. But he needs to try and win.

I have said in a different thread that IMO the only spots worth throwing any real money at are spots 1 through 8 maybe 9. The end of the bench rarely plays but is needed for practice. And perhaps somebody in that group eventually develops into a useful player. But IMO utilizing the final 4 or scholarships on guys that value a Cal degree may prove beneficial. Less likely to transfer and less likely to make waves in the locker room.

You need to be very wary of the 13 scholarships you offer when you really want to use just 8 or 9 in rotation. So I think we agree that how you use the scholarships is crucial. I am not normally a big believer in JC players. But there are some that can help. Nwankwo fits that mold. Madsen also has Wilkinson coming in as a frosh recruit. He has tried with some others (HS recruits) and a couple still could be possible yet. Brody Kozlowski and Jase Butler both have offers. Pippen apparently has decided to go elsewhere.

I am 100% for using the portal to supplement rather than be the sole source of the yearly roster. But players now have complete freedom of movement and can move at a moments notice. NIL packages are clearly motivating the players. They gauge program interest in those terms and use other players as guides to what they believe they should get. Working their way up is not a thing these days.

I do agree with you regarding Madsen. He walked into a bad situation. But his actual coaching IMO was nothing special. In fact his end of game coaching was particularly poor IMO. But finding a coach that can recruit and coach is difficult. Many of the best coaches (by record) are slimeball cheating recruiters. Many great actual coaches are found at the lower levels of D1 or lower. But fans will not accept them and winning along with NIL is what players gravitate to.

I find it interesting that UW hired Sprinkle to be their HC and one of his first hires is Tony Bland. He of the basketball shoe FBI scandal. That is where hoops is these days. Win. We do not care how. Madsen needs to win. Cal does not have the same win at any cost mentatlity that many do, but make no mistake he needs to win. So using the portal to find players that he believes can play now is a primary strategy. He literally has no choice. But I do agree that how he fills the last few spots on the roster will be crucial. You cannot have players that do not play make waves. There is enough turmoil trying to keep players 1 through 8 reasonably happy. Not to mention the parents and others of these players that believe their little Johnny or Joey is the next LeBron or Steph.
Can Madsen's coaches recruit well? Initially it looked like it. But after a season of watching his recruits, I don't feel that way yet. Tyson was very good, but the lack of a point guard really hurt Cal all season long. Can Madsen evaluate players? Here is what he said about Cone:

"Bringing Jalen to Berkeley was a top priority for our coaching staff," Cal head coach Mark Madsen said in a statement provided by the school. "He's an elite shooter who will boost our offense immediately and bring a mature, calming presence to our team. Jalen is also a tremendous playmaker who gets into the paint at will."

I disagree almost completely. Cone is not an elite shooter. He sometimes shoots well in streaks, but his streaks of misses were longer, it seemed. I agree about the maturity and the calming presence. He was not a playmaker, or at least he was not able to make many plays against PAC12 defenses. He played like a shooting guard, and that is what he did most often, shoot. Tyson was more of playmaker than Cone. And I rarely saw him get into the paint, and even less did he get to the rim and finish. He was limited by his size.

SFCityBear
calumnus
12:51a, 4/20/24
In reply to SFCityBear
SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

6956bear said:

SFCityBear said:

Could you factor injuries into this analysis? Most of the portal transfers Cal has landed in the last few years were injured players:

Fardaws left his previous school because he didn't like the way the coach was pushing him to recover faster from a serious ankle injury

Cone missed much of his last season at Virginia Tech with an ankle injury

Kennedy had a bad injury (self inflicted)

Clayton had numerous injuries over his college career.

Askew had a hernia and an eye injury (not sure if these were pre-Cal)

Forman had a foot injury

Hyder had an injured back.

Betley had a knee (patella) injury and missed a season with it.

South had an ankle injury.

Injuries make no difference to what I posted. The portal will not "run out of good players." But yes, it will also include bad players and potentially good players who have been injured in the past. Let the buyer beware. Fox had to take too many risks because he was such a bad recruiter and had such a reputation for being unpleasant to play for.

Madsen took risks trying to turn around a program that went 3-29 the previous year.

I agree with you that it makes sense to recruit HS players too. Especially, developmental guys, guys with lesser ability to fill out the roster. Slots 9-15. Guys who really want to be at Cal four years for the education and are fine with NIL going to starters. And if the freshmen develop into starters, great. If there are top players who fit that profile too (or at least until they jump to the NBA) fantastic. It will definitely be a mix. I think we will see that mix evolve over time.

I agree with you that PG and center are the two positions where you really like maturity, plus some evidence of being able to compete against more than HS competition and it makes sense focus on using NIL to get good ones through the portal.

Unfortunately Madsen is right back to where he was last year, needing to assemble nearly an entire team and make a big improvement over the prior year and now our first in the ACC. Hopeful he will be able to get out of the one and done cycle. I think everyone agrees with you that it is not ideal.
RedlessWardrobe
3:27a, 4/20/24
The slight difference I see between this year and last year's activity is this year Madsen is bringing in "2+ year guys" as opposed to last year when we fielded close to a "one year and done" team. Hopefully the incoming players won't end up in the transfer portal after the upcoming season, which will lead to a slight increase in stability of the roster. Again, I think we have to understand that MM has to approach his objectives gradually.
DaveT
10:39a, 4/20/24

Quote:

Can Madsen's coaches recruit well? Initially it looked like it. But after a season of watching his recruits, I don't feel that way yet. Tyson was very good, but the lack of a point guard really hurt Cal all season long. Can Madsen evaluate players? Here is what he said about Cone . . . .

Not sure I get this. In his first year, Madsen recruited: (1) a first-round NBA talent who was #3 in the conference in PPG, #7 in RPG, and #9 in assists per game; (2) a center who led the conference in RPG and was #14 in PPG; and (3) a defensive specialist who was #6 in the conference in steals per game and played generally solid and consistent defense over the entire season. Cone wasn't as good as billed, but he wasn't a disaster at 13.4 PPG, and 2.3 assists per game. His 3P% was way below his career numbers, but even with his inconsistency, he was a valuable player in multiple games.

He did this with a team coming off one of the most embarrassing seasons I can remember, and without a massive NIL budget. Given the situation, Madsen did an incredible job of recruiting. Maybe that was a fluke, but I'm not sure what more you could have asked of him.
Oakbear
12:27p, 4/20/24
Be honest, it is no longer recruiting it is buying, i dont like it, but as noted by others it is what it is
bearsandgiants
12:32p, 4/20/24
Can we utilize AI to zero in on the top prospects for us? Feel like the money invested in it would pay huge dividends.
Pittstop
1:56p, 4/20/24
In reply to SFCityBear
SFCityBear said:

6956bear said:

SFCityBear said:

I would posit that if a player is "1 and done" - but, preferably, "2 (or more) and done" - then the "development" part has already [mostly] taken place at another program, and that the player has already been primed to contribute upon arrival. So, someone else has done the work for us that would be required to develop an incoming hs freshman. That is one way to look at it.
calumnus
2:05p, 4/20/24
In reply to DaveT
DaveT said:

Quote:

Can Madsen's coaches recruit well? Initially it looked like it. But after a season of watching his recruits, I don't feel that way yet. Tyson was very good, but the lack of a point guard really hurt Cal all season long. Can Madsen evaluate players? Here is what he said about Cone . . . .

Not sure I get this. In his first year, Madsen recruited: (1) a first-round NBA talent who was #3 in the conference in PPG, #7 in RPG, and #9 in assists per game; (2) a center who led the conference in RPG and was #14 in PPG; and (3) a defensive specialist who was #6 in the conference in steals per game and played generally solid and consistent defense over the entire season. Cone wasn't as good as billed, but he wasn't a disaster at 13.4 PPG, and 2.3 assists per game. His 3P% was way below his career numbers, but even with his inconsistency, he was a valuable player in multiple games.

He did this with a team coming off one of the most embarrassing seasons I can remember, and without a massive NIL budget. Given the situation, Madsen did an incredible job of recruiting. Maybe that was a fluke, but I'm not sure what more you could have asked of him.

Yes, but he also focused his first year recruiting on players he and his staff had previous connections to. And some risks. Our best player was initially denied a waiver and under the rules at the time would have had to sit out the entire season of his appeal was not granted. How many games would we have won without Tyson?

So it is/was a bit of a question if Madsen and Co could follow up with a similar portal performance, or more importantly, improve upon it. First year showing upward movement was critical. This second year, first in the ACC, is similarly critical. We need to at least be seen as a roughly average ACC team, but still on an upward trajectory.
stu
2:27p, 4/20/24
In reply to bearsandgiants
bearsandgiants said:

Can we utilize AI to zero in on the top prospects for us? Feel like the money invested in it would pay huge dividends.
Ask Kyle Smith.
01Bear
3:55p, 4/20/24
In reply to SFCityBear
SFCityBear said:

6956bear said:

SFCityBear said:

Dang it! The post I was working on somehow got deleted before I could hit the "Post" button.

Long story short, I disagree with the idea Cal should not target 4 and 5 star recruits. While most 4 and 5 stars are unlikely to fit in at Cal, there are still plenty who will appreciate what Cal has to offer: an internationally recognized world-class education, a history of civil rights support, and a chance to play in the best college basketball conference.

Along those lines, it's likely that the players who will appreciate that most are overseas. Cal (or "Berkeley") should target absolutely target them. Not only would our history academic reputation be of benefit, but they may end up staying for all four years in pursuit of that Cal degree.

Additionally, under federal law, foreign student athletes (in the US under student visas) are currently prohibited from making money in the US. That means they'll be less likely to enter the transfer portal, especially in search of a better NIL deal. However, federal law wouldn't prohibit the foreign nationals from making money in their home countries. With Cal's vast international network of alumni, it's not inconceivable that a Cal alumni group in a foreign player's home country could help that player sign a NIL deal back home.

As for domestic 4 and 5 star recruits, Cal does appeal to the ones who have an interest in academics, the civil rights, or DEI. If Cal can land those recruits, even if they stay for a year or two, it can help Cal reestablish itself as a basketball blueblood, which will make recruiting easier down the road. The key is to land the Jaylen Browns and stay away from those who are attracted to sleaze bags, like Calipari.
Oakbear
4:09p, 4/20/24
In reply to bearsandgiants
bearsandgiants said:

AI will only give you what people say and with the desire to keep info under wraps it would be no where near as good as in person scouting

AI is the soup de jour now, but I really doubt that is the panacea that many think it will be ..
Big C
10:24p, 4/21/24
In reply to Oakbear
Oakbear said:

bearsandgiants said:

AI will only give you what people say and with the desire to keep info under wraps it would be no where near as good as in person scouting

AI is the soup de jour now, but I really doubt that is the panacea that many think it will be ..

Absolutely correct! To bear this out, I have had AI write my posts for me the past year-and-a-half or so: Anybody who has been paying attention will agree that my posts since 2023 have sucked equally as much as those prior.

It's basically a wash.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off