Jaylon Tyson Declares for the 2024 NBA Draft
8,777 Views | 76 Replies
Johnfox
2:08p, 4/4/24

Good Luck Jaylon Tyson!
stu
2:28p, 4/4/24
Sorry to hear he won't be getting a degree (right now) but glad he's pursuing his dreams.
bearister
2:50p, 4/4/24
First Round. Guaranteed.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
rkt88edmo
4:10p, 4/4/24
Never stop working, go JT!
dha
4:23p, 4/4/24
Most of the mock drafts have him going mid to late first round. You got to go if you can get that guaranteed contract for NBA first rounders. He was a warrior for Cal. Wish him the best. How many open scholarship positions does that leave us with now - taking into graduations and the players in the portal?
75bear
4:53p, 4/4/24
Best of luck to Tyson.

He and Madsen were the reasons the atmosphere at Haas turned around 180 degrees from last year. I had so much fun watching in person as Tyson evolved into a top talent, and quickly became somebody I really enjoyed rooting for.

Fingers crossed Tyson ends up on a team that figures out how to develop and use him to his fullest potential. The good thing about being selected in the late first round is you usually end up on a team with an already established winning culture.

I'm glad our paths crossed (and thank goodness for the waiver appeal!).
oskidunker
5:04p, 4/4/24
So does the money allotted for Tyson go back in the pit or was it contingent on Tyson coming back? THAT IS THE QUESTION
Go Bears!
concernedparent
5:19p, 4/4/24
He gets paid and Madsen gains the credibility of coaching a rotation piece into a NBA draft pick.
Johnfox
5:21p, 4/4/24
In reply to oskidunker
1 million would be HUGE for the program
Big C
5:23p, 4/4/24
In reply to oskidunker
oskidunker said:

So does the money allotted for Tyson go back in the pit or was it contingent on Tyson coming back? THAT IS THE QUESTION

The players are on one-year deals. Tyson gets whatever he was promised for this past season. If a donor has pledged money for Tyson if he were to return next season, he/she can decide how that money is now spent (unless they already donated it unconditionally).
oskidunker
5:35p, 4/4/24
In reply to Big C
Big C said:

oskidunker said:

The players are on one-year deals. Tyson gets whatever he was promised for this past season. If a donor has pledged money for Tyson if he were to return next season, he/she can decide how that money is now spent (unless they already donated it unconditionally).
So we wont ever know.
Go Bears!
Basketball Bear
5:45p, 4/4/24
In reply to oskidunker
oskidunker said:

Big C said:

oskidunker said:

So we wont ever know.
I think it is up to the donor, so perhaps they give to another player or they hold on to it. If you were the donor and gave a million last year what would you do? I figure you would try to help again.
bearister
6:58p, 4/4/24
In reply to 75bear
75bear said:

Best of luck to Tyson.

He and Madsen were the reasons the atmosphere at Haas turned around 180 degrees from last year. I had so much fun watching in person as Tyson evolved into a top talent, and quickly became somebody I really enjoyed rooting for.

Fingers crossed Tyson ends up on a team that figures out how to develop and use him to his fullest potential. The good thing about being selected in the late first round is you usually end up on a team with an already established winning culture.

Unless I'm overlooking someone, I believe he was the most fun Cal player to watch on offense since Ed Gray.
calumnus
7:19p, 4/4/24
In reply to bearister
bearister said:

75bear said:

Best of luck to Tyson.

Unless I'm overlooking someone, I believe he was the most fun Cal player to watch on offense since Ed Gray.

I'd put Randle up there as "fun" for sure. Joe Shipp was fun. Jorge was fun. Even Lampley, Crabbe, Boykins, Bradley…
Big C
9:54p, 4/4/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

bearister said:

75bear said:

Best of luck to Tyson.

I'd put Randle up there as "fun" for sure. Joe Shipp was fun. Jorge was fun. Even Lampley, Crabbe, Boykins, Bradley…

calumnus, you are lucky to be thousands of miles away from California, seeing as how you just positively mentioned Joe Shipp, while only giving Bradley sort of an honorable mention. I think I'm 15-20 miles from bearister and I can hear him starting to growl...
01Bear
10:44p, 4/4/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

bearister said:

75bear said:

Best of luck to Tyson.

Fully agree with Jerome Randle. The others were good, but not fun to watch on offense. Jorge was fun to watch on defense, though. I loved how he harassed other teams' best perimeter players.
stu
10:58p, 4/4/24
In reply to 01Bear
Brittany Boyd was fun to watch at both ends.
75bear
11:41p, 4/4/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

bearister said:

75bear said:

Best of luck to Tyson.

Jorge was my most fun player to watch and root for of the past 20 years. Damn, that kid exuded effort every second he was on the court.
01Bear
1:10a, 4/5/24
In reply to 75bear
75bear said:

calumnus said:

bearister said:

75bear said:

Best of luck to Tyson.

Jorge was my most fun player to watch and root for of the past 20 years. Damn, that kid exuded effort every second he was on the court.

Agreed. His offensive skills were just not as developed as I would've preferred. But I absolutely loved watching him play. He hustled and left everything on the court.
calumnus
4:39a, 4/5/24
In reply to Big C
Big C said:

calumnus said:

bearister said:

75bear said:

Best of luck to Tyson.

calumnus, you are lucky to be thousands of miles away from California, seeing as how you just positively mentioned Joe Shipp, while only giving Bradley sort of an honorable mention. I think I'm 15-20 miles from bearister and I can hear him starting to growl...

Mark Fox made everything about Cal basketball a fraction of the fun it would have been otherwise.
bearsandgiants
5:00a, 4/5/24
In reply to bearister
bearister said:

75bear said:

Best of luck to Tyson.

Leon Powe was among my favorites.

calumnus
5:28a, 4/5/24
In reply to bearsandgiants
bearsandgiants said:

bearister said:

75bear said:

Best of luck to Tyson.

Leon Powe was among my favorites.

Definitely Powe, even Stanford fans liked Powe
RedlessWardrobe
7:02a, 4/5/24
Agree with Jerome Randle as "fun" to watch.
So if we're gonna use the "fun" category, I'm gonna put Gene Ransom at the top of the list.
concernedparent
8:56a, 4/5/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

bearister said:

75bear said:

Best of luck to Tyson.

Jaylen Brown was the most exciting player to ever play at Cal. Fun, maybe not as much, but you always felt like he could put up an NBA poster highlight at any moment. Crabbe was kind of boring good. Like you'd think he was having a quiet night but then you'd look at the box and he'd have 17 through 30 minutes.
BC Calfan
9:07a, 4/5/24
Let's not forget about Ryan Anderson. Walking bucket!
LudwigsFountain
9:10a, 4/5/24
In reply to concernedparent
concernedparent said:

calumnus said:

bearister said:

75bear said:

Best of luck to Tyson.

Jaylen Brown was the most exciting player to ever play at Cal. Fun, maybe not as much, but you always felt like he could put up an NBA poster highlight at any moment. Crabbe was kind of boring good. Like you'd think he was having a quiet night but then you'd look at the box and he'd have 17 through 30 minutes.
I think it's close, but going way back I'd put Jackie Ridgle in the same conversation as Brown
bearister
9:42a, 4/5/24
In the Vitalis One on One, Tyson lays waste to all the above stated favorites. What's wrong with you people? There is nothing sweeter than a 6'7 player with fluid movement that has all the O tools in the box (handles, hops, 3 ball, drive, mid range, boards, and passing).

Basketball Bear
10:12a, 4/5/24
my top three are Jason Kidd, for his no look passes Jaylen Brown for his thunderous dunks and Jorge Gutierrez for his hustle all over the floor and confronting the kicker.
HoopDreams
10:34a, 4/5/24
Don't forget Abdur-Rahim

Conference POY as a freshman!

TilWeWobble
11:00a, 4/5/24
I'm with Ludwig: Jackie Ridgle tops my list. I'm a fan of Tyson and Jaylon Brown but it was a little frustrating seeing Brown not reach his potential in his one year which, for me, detracts from his "fun" quotient. I will say his pre-season midnight madness showcase was electric. Ridgle was a 20 point and above machine as a 6'4" forward playing against the likes of Sidney Wickes and Curtis Rose (20 point average as a senior; 18 for career). He was unstoppable.
TilWeWobble
11:02a, 4/5/24
And don't forget Rusty Critchfield!
bearister
11:04a, 4/5/24
Jaylen Brown had no handle and no shot. He had explosive moves and hops. I never imagined the player he turned into.
BerkeleyBAT
11:09a, 4/5/24
I mean if we are going back that far, you can't skip over Kevin Johnson. He was electric and VERY fun during a time when Cal fans were just starting to rediscover how great college basketball could be!
stu
11:27a, 4/5/24
In reply to BerkeleyBAT
Not to Mention Charlie Johnson.
Basketball Bear
2:45p, 4/5/24
In reply to bearister
bearister said:

Jaylen Brown had no handle and no shot. He had explosive moves and hops. I never imagined the player he turned into.
Here are some of his Cal

and HS highlights.

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 3
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode