Econ141
7:41p, 5/9/24
Booyah!
KenBurnski
7:43p, 5/9/24
lol
oski003
8:10p, 5/9/24
Is there any way we can siphon a quarter of it into an NIL fund solely aimed at UCLA and USC portal players?
Sebastabear
8:23p, 5/9/24
Was a no-brainer once the media deals were set. But I think we had some folks on here who were adamant this would never happen. No?

The arc of the moral universe is long but it tends to bend towards justice. Justice was (partially) served. Next step is getting royalties on our stolen song.
WalterSobchak
8:29p, 5/9/24
In reply to Sebastabear
philly in shambles
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
Bobodeluxe
8:53p, 5/9/24
Will the Berkeley Bears donate most of it to Clemson and FSU?
ducktilldeath
9:16p, 5/9/24
Pathetic.
WalterSobchak
9:20p, 5/9/24
In reply to ducktilldeath
ducktilldeath said:

Pathetic.
As opposed to taking 100s of millions from Third World children?
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
MinotStateBeav
11:01p, 5/9/24
Can we get a "Sponsored by the Southern Branch" ad on our shoulder/sleeve football uniforms?
BarcaBear
11:08p, 5/9/24
In reply to WalterSobchak
WalterSobchak said:

ducktilldeath said:

Pathetic.
that totally went over the ducks head.
calumnus
11:08p, 5/9/24
In reply to philbert
philbert said:

$10M annually!

Bwahahahaha!

Can someone with a subscription verify we are getting $10 million, the max contemplated, or is $10 million the maximum we might get, with the actual amount still to be determined?

Also, is this a one-time or annual payment?

Thanks!
StillNoStanfurdium
11:12p, 5/9/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

philbert said:

$10M annually!

Bwahahahaha!

Can someone with a subscription verify we are getting $10 million, the max contemplated, or is $10 million the maximum we might get, with the actual amount still to be determined?

Thanks!
Article doesn't require a subscription to read as far as I can tell. The important part taken from the Executive Summary of the Regents meeting is as follows:

"While universities and colleges are still in tumultuous times with an unsettled landscape in college athletics, there is some clarity on projected media rights revenues in the near term.

"It is anticipated that there will be an approximately $50 million difference between UCLA's Big Ten contract and UC Berkeley's agreement with the ACC.

"As a result, the President is proposing that UCLA contribute $10 million a year to UC Berkeley, the top end of the range established by the Regents in December 2022."

"That the Regents authorize the transfer of $10 million a year from UCLA to the Berkeley campus from 2024-25 through 2029-30, the term of UCLA's existing Big Ten Conference contract.

"In the event that there is a significant change in revenues and/or expenses for either campus, exceeding ten percent over 2024-25 pro forma assumptions, UCLA's contribution commitment will return to the Regents for further evaluation and potential action."

Technically it's not 100% set in stone until approved but unlike when the topic was originally discussed the Regents are now recommending their max payment of $10M as an annual payment from 2024-25 to 2029-30.
calumnus
11:16p, 5/9/24
In reply to StillNoStanfurdium
StillNoStanfurdium said:

calumnus said:

philbert said:

$10M annually!

Bwahahahaha!

Thanks!
Article doesn't require a subscription to read as far as I can tell. The important part taken from the Executive Summary of the Regents meeting is as follows:

"While universities and colleges are still in tumultuous times with an unsettled landscape in college athletics, there is some clarity on projected media rights revenues in the near term.

"It is anticipated that there will be an approximately $50 million difference between UCLA's Big Ten contract and UC Berkeley's agreement with the ACC.

"As a result, the President is proposing that UCLA contribute $10 million a year to UC Berkeley, the top end of the range established by the Regents in December 2022."

"That the Regents authorize the transfer of $10 million a year from UCLA to the Berkeley campus from 2024-25 through 2029-30, the term of UCLA's existing Big Ten Conference contract.

"In the event that there is a significant change in revenues and/or expenses for either campus, exceeding ten percent over 2024-25 pro forma assumptions, UCLA's contribution commitment will return to the Regents for further evaluation and potential action."

Technically it's not 100% set in stone until approved but unlike when the topic was originally discussed the Regents are now recommending their max payment of $10M as an annual payment from 2024-25 to 2029-30.

Thanks!
WalterSobchak
11:38p, 5/9/24
In reply to calumnus
May 14, sometime after the 2 p.m. closed session on the same subject.

Pittstop
12:16a, 5/10/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

philbert said:

$10M annually!

Bwahahahaha!

Thanks!

I don't have a subscription, but I got an email from another Cal publication that provided the information for free, and it is $10M per year until 2030 (which, according to that publication, is when fUCLA's B1G media deal ends). So the total will be $60M.
Eastern Oregon Bear
12:58a, 5/10/24
So far, on the three UCLA boards I checked, there was one post that was just a link to the ESPN story. Otherwise, it's been <crickets> over there. Pretty weak fandom.

No gloating so far on the SC boards.
TheDuke!!!
3:55a, 5/10/24
This is more than I had hoped we would get, but less than what justice dictates.

UCLA elected to destroy 94 years of tradition of being in the same conference.. They really destroyed college football as we know it. They should pay $25m a year as far as I'm concerned.

Their crookedness killed the PCC back in 1958. Two years earlier (in 1956), two of their societies (the Bruin Bench and the Young Men's Club of Westwood) were caught operating illegal slush funds to pay players.

But this was a lot worse.

In the wake of the 1958 scandal, Chancellor Sproul successfully implemented academic and oversight standards for both UCLA and Cal. This led to both institutions pulling out of the PCC and forming the Pac.

Seven decades later, those degenerates did it again.

But during the 1956-58 scandal, the President of Oregon State spoke some words that proved just as true seven decades later:

"The reasons for California and UCLA dropping out are as different as night and day... the significance of the whole affair was the union of Berkeley and UCLA... admissions and scholarship had nothing to do with the withdrawals . . . the marriage of this desire on the part of Berkeley with the known ambitions and necessities of its sister institution has produced a bas-tard that has the bark of a purebred but the innards and hair of a mongrel."

Now that we are finally divorced thanks to UCLA's treachery, we can move on without them. And they can pay us alimony while both schools try to survive in new bas-tardized mongrel conferences.
okaydo
8:37a, 5/10/24
Who coined Calimony? Because Wilner is getting a lot of credit.

Also, I found this on the UPenn website.

https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=60400
BearBoarBlarney
9:02a, 5/10/24
WalterSobchak said:

ducktilldeath said:

Pathetic.

That. Was. Beautiful.
BearBoarBlarney
9:05a, 5/10/24
In reply to TheDuke!!!
Cliff Notes version: be wary of the little brother's abject jealousy towards the older brother, especially when the little brother is a two-bit wh0re.
WalterSobchak
11:59a, 5/10/24
In reply to MinotStateBeav
MinotStateBeav said:

Can we get a "Sponsored by the Southern Branch" ad on our shoulder/sleeve football uniforms?
Sponsorships are consensual.

Haloski
2:37p, 5/10/24
WalterSobchak said:

ducktilldeath said:

Pathetic.

Ouch.

Per the terms of their screen name, they're no longer a Duck. RIP.
ducktilldeath
12:19a, 5/11/24
WalterSobchak said:

ducktilldeath said:

Pathetic.
Another smarmy, ignorant, fake intellectual CAL fan. Poverty, death, infant mortality, prostiution rates, all many times lower than national average when people who needs jobs have jobs, including 12 year olds on sewing machines. Do better. You buy **** from slave labor every single day. Your argument is one of an ignorant coward.
Haloski
6:38a, 5/11/24
In reply to ducktilldeath
ducktilldeath said:

WalterSobchak said:

ducktilldeath said:

Pathetic.
Another smarmy, ignorant, fake intellectual CAL fan. Poverty, death, infant mortality, prostiution rates, all many times lower than national average when people who needs jobs have jobs, including 12 year olds on sewing machines. Do better. You buy **** from slave labor every single day. Your argument is one of an ignorant coward.

We can title this work of art "Rationalization of the Ratioed."
SBGold
8:22a, 5/11/24
In reply to Haloski
Haloski said:

ducktilldeath said:

WalterSobchak said:

ducktilldeath said:

Pathetic.

We can title this work of art "Rationalization of the Ratioed."
Yes, abuse the children for wealth because it will save them from death and being prostitutes.

I learned this in my MBA Ethics class as well
bluehenbear
10:47a, 5/11/24
Quote:

Regents authorize the transfer of $10 million a year from UCLA to the Berkeley **campus**

This sounds like a transfer of funds between campuses. No stipulation this money must go to the athletic department. The campus already provides >$10MM in funding to AD. So this will probably be used to offset that expense.
sycasey
10:48a, 5/11/24
WalterSobchak said:

philly in shambles
It appears that Cal athletics will survive. My condolences to him.
philly1121
12:24p, 5/12/24
In reply to sycasey
A surprise to be sure. But - on the other hand - there went any chance of getting into the B1G when the ACC hits the bin in 2029. At least we got $10 mil and the moral high ground when it comes to my iPad purchase.
sycasey
12:42p, 5/12/24
In reply to philly1121
philly1121 said:

A surprise to be sure. But - on the other hand - there went any chance of getting into the B1G when the ACC hits the bin in 2029. At least we got $10 mil and the moral high ground when it comes to my iPad purchase.

I don't see how this would prevent us from getting into the B1G. UCLA has more incentive to support us getting in so they wouldn't have to pay that anymore.
TheDuke!!!
12:56p, 5/12/24
I am not great with this. I have never flown private, and just once chartered. And I've never shipped a truck full of baseball or football gear. Maybe someone here can help me.

What do we suppose our added travel expenses will be from the Pac-12 (which was already kinda expensive) to now having to play about half our games on the Eastern seaboard? We have a ton of athletes in multiple sports - and this $10m is going to need to offset that.

Ideally we would still have a bunch left over to cover Wilcox's Looney Tunes salary.

Will the $10m/year cover all of our excess travel expenses?
MinotStateBeav
4:18p, 5/12/24
In reply to TheDuke!!!
You gotta think Cal will have a semi-permanent storage facility and truck located out there that can easily travel to all the eastern locations yeah? Probably in North Carolina I gotta think.
Econ141
4:34p, 5/12/24
In reply to TheDuke!!!
TheDuke!!! said:

I am not great with this. I have never flown private, and just once chartered. And I've never shipped a truck full of baseball or football gear. Maybe someone here can help me.

What do we suppose our added travel expenses will be from the Pac-12 (which was already kinda expensive) to now having to play about half our games on the Eastern seaboard? We have a ton of athletes in multiple sports - and this $10m is going to need to offset that.

Ideally we would still have a bunch left over to cover Wilcox's Looney Tunes salary.

Will the $10m/year cover all of our excess travel expenses?

I believe UCLA's travelling costs are an additional 10 million. I would guess ours is a bit north of that.
TheDuke!!!
4:58p, 5/12/24
In reply to MinotStateBeav
MinotStateBeav said:

You gotta think Cal will have a semi-permanent storage facility and truck located out there that can easily travel to all the eastern locations yeah? Probably in North Carolina I gotta think.
That is far too common sense of an idea for our Athletic Department to pull off.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings