New quarterback commits
4,147 Views | 35 Replies
Basketball Bear
10:25a, 5/8/24
After entering the NCAA transfer portal, former Ohio quarterback CJ Harris has officially committed to the Cal Golden Bears.

Staff got there quarterback.
SBGold
11:37a, 5/8/24
In reply to Basketball Bear
Basketball Bear said:

After entering the NCAA transfer portal, former Ohio quarterback CJ Harris has officially committed to the Cal Golden Bears.

This is good. The practice I saw just before the spring game I thought Rogers looked awful. I don't think Rogers is a legit player for us
Big C
12:58p, 5/8/24
In reply to SBGold
SBGold said:

Basketball Bear said:

This is good. The practice I saw just before the spring game I thought Rogers looked awful. I don't think Rogers is a legit player for us

Maybe small sample size? By all reports, Rogers is pretty good and had a productive year last year.

Isn't Harris supposed to slot in as a 3rd QB, just in case? (If anybody at any position passes the guy in front of him on the depth chart, so much the better.)
SBGold
1:27p, 5/8/24
In reply to Big C
Big C said:

SBGold said:

Basketball Bear said:

Maybe small sample size? By all reports, Rogers is pretty good and had a productive year last year.

Isn't Harris supposed to slot in as a 3rd QB, just in case? (If anybody at any position passes the guy in front of him on the depth chart, so much the better.)
another small sample size, but Rogers played against us last year. He looked lost IMO
awesomebuffalo
1:51p, 5/8/24
In reply to SBGold
Rogers did not play against us. He was injured the first game but played the remainder of the season.

Rogers was very productive across the 11 games he played. While I expect Mendoza to have the edge (not only as the incumbent, but his accuracy is a great fit in this offense), Rogers + Harris are also great options in any QB room. EJ Caminong is well-positioned to learn from these veterans.
StillNoStanfurdium
1:57p, 5/8/24
In reply to awesomebuffalo
awesomebuffalo said:

Rogers did not play against us. He was injured the first game but played the remainder of the season.

Rogers was very productive across the 11 games he played. While I expect Mendoza to have the edge (not only as the incumbent, but his accuracy is a great fit in this offense), Rogers + Harris are also great options in any QB room. EJ Caminong is well-positioned to learn from these veterans.
He technically did play some snaps against us. He was 3 of 7 for passing for 10 yards and 1 INT along with 1 -10 yard rush (assuming he was sacked) before he had to exit with injury.

So I hope SBGold indeed is meaning to say that he is assessing that limited playtime in our game as opposed to confusing him the entire game with this guy: https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/stone-earle/6579 who was the QB that replaced Rogers.

Rogers did do much better for the season on a whole though. That 1 INT in the Cal game is actually 20% of all the picks he threw all season (only 5). And that went along with 3382 yards and 29 TDs. Sure the competition wasn't the best but that team did play Tulane and SMU and Rogers did alright in those games.

#23 Tulane who was 6-1 - 35/51 for 343 yards & 2 TDs
SMU at 8-2 - 18/31 for 240 yards, 2 TDs, & 1 INT
DaveBear
2:28p, 5/8/24
Rogers has shown he can be a productive quarterback and his competition with Mendoza has been nothing but good for both of those guys.
The question is where does Harris fit in? I have to assume he was a pick of the new QB coach. His stats are nothing to write home about but he did have some good looks in 2022 and 2023 and was apparently slated to start for Ohio next season. He is definitely not highly rated by the portal sites. He is a graduate student but has 3 years of potential eligibility left. He is a dual threat QB. He has size and athleticism.
Either he has a very good upside and aspirations to challenge for playing time while adding to his academic credentials as a grad student or he is a short-term safety net as back-up in case injury or transfer.
Whichever, adding him is a good move for the depth of the QB room. Given a chance he may be a solid back-up/scout team player for the Bears.
matteye
2:44p, 5/8/24
In reply to Basketball Bear
Basketball Bear said:

I know you all want to. Cough cough their.
TheDuke!!!
3:13p, 5/8/24
It is good we have another experienced QB on the depth chart. It was embarrassing having a guy who wanted to be elsewhere play for us in the bowl game.

Also, Mendoza got banged up a lot last year, and his stats didn't exactly blow anyone away.

I think we were hyped on him largely because of our disappointment in the previous two guys. (Can't remember their names. I think it was something like Marlo Williams III and Jim Pokey? I dunno. Something like that.)

When Mendoza came in, he felt a lot better to us than he actually was on the stat sheet.

But while depth is awesome, the bigger issue is a lack of star power. Wilcox has never had an offensive player drafted. I assume Ott will change all that. But we need 2-5 more NFL-caliber guys (even if late rounders) to have a good offense.
TheDuke!!!
3:15p, 5/8/24
Maybe not the biggest deal. But since it is in bold for some reason, can either the OP or the moderators go back and change the spelling in the first post to the correct form of "their?"

Come on people. We went to the University of California, Berkeley. That is a middle school mistake.
01Bear
4:20p, 5/8/24
In reply to TheDuke!!!
TheDuke!!! said:

Maybe not the biggest deal. But since it is in bold for some reason, can either the OP or the moderators go back and change the spelling in the first post to the correct form of "their?"

Come on people. We went to the University of California, Berkeley. That is a middle school mistake.

Maybe Basketball Bear is/was a disciple if Cardale Jones and "ain't come [to Cal] to play school."
HearstMining
4:33p, 5/8/24
Well, CJ Harris was recruited by Dartmouth and Cornell out of HS, so he must be a sharp guy. But he only had six career starts and ten games total at OhioU. Per this article, he was likely NOT slated to start in the upcoming season: https://www.si.com/college/group-five/TRANSFER-PORTAL-Ohio-Bobcats-Quarterback-CJ-Harris-Set-To-Transfer

I still wish Cal had gone after Gevani McCoy. Maybe they did but Oregon St. offered more NIL?

Big C
5:26p, 5/8/24
In reply to HearstMining
HearstMining said:

Well, CJ Harris was recruited by Dartmouth and Cornell out of HS, so he must be a sharp guy. But he only had six career starts and ten games total at OhioU. Per this article, he was likely NOT slated to start in the upcoming season: https://www.si.com/college/group-five/TRANSFER-PORTAL-Ohio-Bobcats-Quarterback-CJ-Harris-Set-To-Transfer

I still wish Cal had gone after Gevani McCoy. Maybe they did but Oregon St. offered more NIL?

We needed another scholly QB and there were two options: Spend big bucks and convince a "clear starter" to come here, or get a guy who can play the position and is willing to be an "insurance guy".

I'm sure they considered Option One, but maybe the right guy wasn't there, or we couldn't afford him, or we couldn't get him to come here. So we went with Option Two.

Maybe CJ Harris has some skills and will like it here, in which case he is welcome to move up the depth chart either this fall or in 2025!
Rushinbear
7:51a, 5/9/24
In reply to Big C
Big C said:

HearstMining said:

We needed another scholly QB and there were two options: Spend big bucks and convince a "clear starter" to come here, or get a guy who can play the position and is willing to be an "insurance guy".

I'm sure they considered Option One, but maybe the right guy wasn't there, or we couldn't afford him, or we couldn't get him to come here. So we went with Option Two.

Maybe CJ Harris has some skills and will like it here, in which case he is welcome to move up the depth chart either this fall or in 2025!
Maybe they're playing the numbers game. With 3 scholly qb's, one of them should rise to the top in fall camp and that's who we'll go with. Or, maybe lightening will strike and the new guy will walk in and take over.

It's an odd way that it works. You never know until the players tell you with their play. Reference the number of sure thing kids who disappointed, both at Cal and at every other school. They're young. They've played against hs kids on small stages. The bright lights come on and it's do or die.

Everyone hoped that they saw something in Mendo that no one else saw. This will be his do or die year. It would be nice if he showed a clear advantage over the others, but as in most things in life, chances are that lightening will not strike and he will not suddenly be a 5 star. But, hope springs eternal...at Cal at least.
SFCityBear
7:41p, 5/9/24
In reply to TheDuke!!!
TheDuke!!! said:

It is good we have another experienced QB on the depth chart. It was embarrassing having a guy who wanted to be elsewhere play for us in the bowl game.

Also, Mendoza got banged up a lot last year, and his stats didn't exactly blow anyone away.

I think we were hyped on him largely because of our disappointment in the previous two guys. (Can't remember their names. I think it was something like Marlo Williams III and Jim Pokey? I dunno. Something like that.)

When Mendoza came in, he felt a lot better to us than he actually was on the stat sheet.

But while depth is awesome, the bigger issue is a lack of star power. Wilcox has never had an offensive player drafted. I assume Ott will change all that. But we need 2-5 more NFL-caliber guys (even if late rounders) to have a good offense.
A couple of All-American offensive linemen would be a good start.

Alex Mack and Marvin Phillip come to mind.
SFCityBear
GivemTheAxe
8:08p, 5/9/24
In reply to Rushinbear
Rushinbear said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

Maybe they're playing the numbers game. With 3 scholly qb's, one of them should rise to the top in fall camp and that's who we'll go with. Or, maybe lightening will strike and the new guy will walk in and take over.

It's an odd way that it works. You never know until the players tell you with their play. Reference the number of sure thing kids who disappointed, both at Cal and at every other school. They're young. They've played against hs kids on small stages. The bright lights come on and it's do or die.

Everyone hoped that they saw something in Mendo that no one else saw. This will be his do or die year. It would be nice if he showed a clear advantage over the others, but as in most things in life, chances are that lightening will not strike and he will not suddenly be a 5 star. But, hope springs eternal...at Cal at least.

Mendoza beat out the two highly ranked QB's ahead of him at the start of last year. (Both of whom had playing time experience). This year his is bigger and stronger and has the playbook down pat. IMO he will be better this year in view of some of the hot shot receivers who are coming in through the portal.

I went to the spring game and was not impressed with the competition. No wonder that Cal is picking up a few more.

A lot of Mendoza's success will depend upon on the play calling by the OC (Duh!) and the blocking by the O-line (Duh! Squared)

But his drive and commitment are off the charts IMO.
Johnfox
8:12p, 5/9/24
Anyone know when Victor Stoffel will arrive on campus
SFCityBear
8:43p, 5/9/24
In reply to Rushinbear
Rushinbear said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

Mendoza is a kid. He has played only 9 games of college football. He put up decent numbers, and had some decent games. Barring serious injury, he has several seasons left to play. How is this coming season his "do or die" year? And like most quarterbacks, he is only as good as the line in front of him, not to mention backs behind him and his receivers. Let's give him a chance.
SFCityBear
TheDuke!!!
8:56p, 5/9/24
In reply to GivemTheAxe
GivemTheAxe said:

Rushinbear said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

Mendoza beat out the two highly ranked QB's ahead of him at the start of last year. (Both of whom had playing time experience). This year his is bigger and stronger and has the playbook down pat. IMO he will be better this year in view of some of the hot shot receivers who are coming in through the portal.

I went to the spring game and was not impressed with the competition. No wonder that Cal is picking up a few more.

A lot of Mendoza's success will depend upon on the play calling by the OC (Duh!) and the blocking by the O-line (Duh! Squared)

I hope that too.

But I don't think any of us should be impressed with him beating out the two QBs he did. Williams is now a walk-on Wide Receiver somewhere humid and Pokey is the backup quarterback at Akron State.
calumnus
9:01p, 5/9/24
In reply to GivemTheAxe
GivemTheAxe said:

Rushinbear said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

Mendoza was a decent enough QB in Spavital's quick read and throw air raid system. He was best when the play was in front of him and he just makes a single read and made a quick, accurate delivery. He/we were especially good on slants. If that was not open he could run enough to pick up a first down and move the chains. His problems were largely if that initial look was not there, and he was trying to make something happen with his arm (to avoid injury running?) he panicked and made bad decisions, committing way too many turnovers.

The very thing that makes Mendoza's personality endearing to us as Cal fans, his eagerness, hyperactivity and pressing, is the thing that worries me about him as a QB. If anything he needs to be cooler, calmer and press less. A lot of that calmness and confidence can come with maturity and experience.

A lot depends on what Bloesch and Gilbert are looking for in a QB. For Mendoza, this will be his 3rd OC in as many years. I think it is unlikely our OL is going to be able to give the QB a lot of time. The Independence Bowl was a disaster offensively. I just hope they figure it out and we have a good offense this Fall using whichever QB is most effective in moving the ball downfield and scoring points without turnovers.
6956bear
4:39a, 5/10/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Rushinbear said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

Mendoza was a decent enough QB in Spavital's quick read and throw air raid system. He was best when the play was in front of him and he just makes a single read and made a quick, accurate delivery. He/we were especially good on slants. If that was not open he could run enough to pick up a first down and move the chains. His problems were largely if that initial look was not there, and he was trying to make something happen with his arm (to avoid injury running?) he panicked and made bad decisions, committing way too many turnovers.

The very thing that makes Mendoza's personality endearing to us as Cal fans, his eagerness, hyperactivity and pressing, is the thing that worries me about him as a QB. If anything he needs to be cooler, calmer and press less. A lot of that calmness and confidence can come with maturity and experience.

A lot depends on what Bloesch and Gilbert are looking for in a QB. For Mendoza, this will be his 3rd OC in as many years. I think it is unlikely our OL is going to be able to give the QB a lot of time. The Independence Bowl was a disaster offensively. I just hope they figure it out and we have a good offense this Fall using whichever QB is most effective in moving the ball downfield and scoring points without turnovers.
Agree. Fernando should be better but he does play a bit frenzied. He also did not protect the ball or himself very well when he did run. He often seemed to seek contact and was not securing the ball well. He looked like he would fumble nearly every time he did run.

Rogers came to Cal as an experienced player from G5 with a solid reputation for avoiding turnovers. His TD to interception ratio was very good. He plays with a certain calmness that is different from Mendoza. But he had some interception concerns in the Spring. Rogers is a better athlete and runs well. He is not a classic dual threat QB but has the ability to do some stuff with his legs.

Fernando entered Spring as QB1. He will enter the Fall as QB1. Rogers can overtake him but he will need to dial down the interceptions. Fernando is a terrifc leader. He takes ownership and cares. Rogers is an unknown in that area.

The offense has more potential playmakers. Fernando will not need to feel like every play has to be a TD. He will need to demonstrate he knows when to let a play go. He made some turnovers by trying to do too much. You cannot turn the ball over the way the team did a year ago. He was not alone but he made his share.

I want Rogers to get a fair shake in Fall camp. He has been productive in his previous stops on bad teams. But if he wants the job he will need to take it. No favorites here. We saw last season how Spavital handled the QB room. Cal needs to win. I understand that Mendoza is a favorite among many of the fans. I also see the potential. But it is time to win.Let the competition play out. I expect Mendoza to be the starter in game 1, but I do believe the Cal QB room is much better than last year. Rogers is not Caleb Williams but he is not Ben Finley either.
calumnus
7:11a, 5/10/24
In reply to 6956bear
6956bear said:

calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Rushinbear said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

Agree. Fernando should be better but he does play a bit frenzied. He also did not protect the ball or himself very well when he did run. He often seemed to seek contact and was not securing the ball well. He looked like he would fumble nearly every time he did run.

Rogers came to Cal as an experienced player from G5 with a solid reputation for avoiding turnovers. His TD to interception ratio was very good. He plays with a certain calmness that is different from Mendoza. But he had some interception concerns in the Spring. Rogers is a better athlete and runs well. He is not a classic dual threat QB but has the ability to do some stuff with his legs.

Fernando entered Spring as QB1. He will enter the Fall as QB1. Rogers can overtake him but he will need to dial down the interceptions. Fernando is a terrifc leader. He takes ownership and cares. Rogers is an unknown in that area.

The offense has more potential playmakers. Fernando will not need to feel like every play has to be a TD. He will need to demonstrate he knows when to let a play go. He made some turnovers by trying to do too much. You cannot turn the ball over the way the team did a year ago. He was not alone but he made his share.

I want Rogers to get a fair shake in Fall camp. He has been productive in his previous stops on bad teams. But if he wants the job he will need to take it. No favorites here. We saw last season how Spavital handled the QB room. Cal needs to win. I understand that Mendoza is a favorite among many of the fans. I also see the potential. But it is time to win.Let the competition play out. I expect Mendoza to be the starter in game 1, but I do believe the Cal QB room is much better than last year. Rogers is not Caleb Williams but he is not Ben Finley either.

Yes, In 8 starts, Fernando had 10 interceptions and 5 fumbles lost. It is the main area he needs to clean up.
concernedparent
9:47a, 5/10/24
In reply to 6956bear
6956bear said:

calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Rushinbear said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

The reports on Rogers are concerning. I thought he'd come in and immediately push Mendoza and have a 50/50 of winning it. I mean he's a RS senior, he should not be throwing picks against 2nd and 3rd string DBs.
6956bear
9:56a, 5/10/24
In reply to concernedparent
concernedparent said:

6956bear said:

calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Rushinbear said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

The reports on Rogers are concerning. I thought he'd come in and immediately push Mendoza and have a 50/50 of winning it. I mean he's a RS senior, he should not be throwing picks against 2nd and 3rd string DBs.
Agree with the concern regarding Rogers. but I think many of his picks were by #1 defense DBs like Harris and Williams. Regardless if he is to challenge Mendoza he will need to clean that up in Fall camp.
HearstMining
10:27a, 5/10/24
In reply to TheDuke!!!
TheDuke!!! said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Rushinbear said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

I hope that too.

But I don't think any of us should be impressed with him beating out the two QBs he did. Williams is now a walk-on Wide Receiver somewhere humid and Pokey is the backup quarterback at Akron State.
Why is Mendoza popular? Easy - he came in as an underdog, he has an engaging personality, he's apparently a real student in a challenging major, and Cal beat Stanford and UCLA with him under center. If you think of Cal's QB legacy (Bart, Roth, Campbell, Taylor, Barr, Jesus in Cleats, Rodgers, Goff), you must have have cringed as guys like McIllwain, Modster, Glover, and even Garbers at times, muddled their way through games over the last several years. So when Jackson and Finley underproduced, it's natural that we gravitated to the kid who led the team to wins over rivals and a close loss to USC. Still, you have to say that Mendoza's stats aren't great, particularly regarding turnovers.

But, ask yourself this: How much time do you think Mendoza got with the first team during last year's spring and fall camps? Given that Jackson and Finley were new to the program and presumably recruited by Spav, I'll bet Mendoza got substantially less than 1/3 the first-string snaps in practice.

But have you noticed the QBs are practicing with Go-Pro cameras on their helmets this year? I think this is a brilliant idea! They can review every play, seeing just what the QB sees and talk about correct reads and decision-making. This should help all the QBs, but especially Mendoza as it addresses the weaknesses mentioned above. NOTE: If they used the cameras last season, feel free to embarrass me by pointing it out.
Pittstop
12:35p, 5/10/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

6956bear said:

calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Rushinbear said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

Yes, In 8 starts, Fernando had 10 interceptions and 5 fumbles lost. It is the main area he needs to clean up.

How many TD passes? TD/INT ratio?
Big C
12:40p, 5/10/24

Entirely reasonable to assume that Medoza will be better this coming season: He was only a RS freshman last year, he's a smart guy and a hard worker. What's his ceiling, I don't know, but he should be better, almost certainly. If the OL is at least a little bit better and Bloesch's system is fairly effective, we could win 8-9 games with this offense (depending on how the defense and special teams do).
OneKeg
12:45p, 5/10/24
https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/25

Overall, 63% completions, 7.0 YPA, 14 TDs, 10 Ints, 2 rushing TDs for Mendoza in 2023
(49 rushes for 86 yards including 16 sacks for -127, so not counting sacks, 33 rushes for 213 yards, I think).
WalterSobchak
12:56p, 5/10/24
In reply to Pittstop
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
concernedparent
1:11p, 5/10/24
In reply to HearstMining
HearstMining said:

TheDuke!!! said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Rushinbear said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

I hope that too.

Why is Mendoza popular? Easy - he came in as an underdog, he has an engaging personality, he's apparently a real student in a challenging major, and Cal beat Stanford and UCLA with him under center. If you think of Cal's QB legacy (Bart, Roth, Campbell, Taylor, Barr, Jesus in Cleats, Rodgers, Goff), you must have have cringed as guys like McIllwain, Modster, Glover, and even Garbers at times, muddled their way through games over the last several years.
Put some respect on Garbers' name. He was better than Boller in college. Garbers (besides his freshman year) was a slightly above average QB who carried some atrocious OCs.
Rushinbear
1:25p, 5/10/24
In reply to SFCityBear
SFCityBear said:

Rushinbear said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

Mendoza is a kid. He has played only 9 games of college football. He put up decent numbers, and had some decent games. Barring serious injury, he has several seasons left to play. How is this coming season his "do or die" year? And like most quarterbacks, he is only as good as the line in front of him, not to mention backs behind him and his receivers. Let's give him a chance.
Most kids show what they've got by the end of their soph year (frosh - getting acquainted, rs frosh - getting a good taste and showing what they can do). If they've got star power of any kind, they should be able to show it in what amounts to their 3rd year. I think he has some, but he's got to step up and deliver this year or it will be incremental improvements the rest of the way.
calumnus
2:31p, 5/10/24
In reply to Pittstop
Pittstop said:

calumnus said:

6956bear said:

calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Rushinbear said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

How many TD passes? TD/INT ratio?

14 Passing TDs, 10 Int, 2 rushing TDs, 5 fumbles lost. So 16 TDs and 15 turnovers in 8 starts.

His other numbers look good, so eliminate the turnovers and he looks very good.
HearstMining
7:35a, 5/11/24
In reply to concernedparent
concernedparent said:

HearstMining said:

TheDuke!!! said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Rushinbear said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

I hope that too.

Why is Mendoza popular? Easy - he came in as an underdog, he has an engaging personality, he's apparently a real student in a challenging major, and Cal beat Stanford and UCLA with him under center. If you think of Cal's QB legacy (Bart, Roth, Campbell, Taylor, Barr, Jesus in Cleats, Rodgers, Goff), you must have have cringed as guys like McIllwain, Modster, Glover, and even Garbers at times, muddled their way through games over the last several years.
Put some respect on Garbers' name. He was better than Boller in college. Garbers (besides his freshman year) was a slightly above average QB who carried some atrocious OCs.
Where Garbers ranks wasn't my main point, was it?

First of all, I liked Garbers. He was resourceful, athletic, but inconsistent. That's why I said "EVEN Garbers, AT TIMES". People on this site griped about how he'd miss wide open receivers - because he did.

Boller got his brains beat in for his first three years, largely due to even worse coaching than Garbers had until he blossomed under Tedford. I'd argue his final year was better than Garbers' best as evidenced by the NFL drafting him - certainly too high, but he did stick in the league a few years and started several games.
concernedparent
10:44a, 5/11/24
In reply to HearstMining
HearstMining said:

concernedparent said:

HearstMining said:

TheDuke!!! said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Rushinbear said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

I hope that too.

Where Garbers ranks wasn't my main point, was it?

First of all, I liked Garbers. He was resourceful, athletic, but inconsistent. That's why I said "EVEN Garbers, AT TIMES". People on this site griped about how he'd miss wide open receivers - because he did.

Boller got his brains beat in for his first three years, largely due to even worse coaching than Garbers had until he blossomed under Tedford. I'd argue his final year was better than Garbers' best as evidenced by the NFL drafting him - certainly too high, but he did stick in the league a few years and started several games.
Weird to single Garbers out on your "bad QB" list when he was better than someone on your "good QB" list. Don't forget that "at times" even Goff and Rodgers laid absolute eggs (5 INT vs Utah, fumbling every ball on a rainy night in Autzen, 9 for 34 vs Oregon State). Did you not cringe then?

You can argue that, but NFL drafting isn't just about college production. Boller was drafted because he had a howitzer for an arm. It certainly wasn't because of his 53% completion rate in his best year. Garbers didn't because he has a squirt gun arm.
DaveT
2:45p, 5/11/24

Quote:

14 Passing TDs, 10 Int, 2 rushing TDs, 5 fumbles lost. So 16 TDs and 15 turnovers in 8 starts.

His other numbers look good, so eliminate the turnovers and he looks very good.
The fumbles are probably easily corrected. His INT's are more worrying, although half of them happened in the final two games.

Two of those went off a WR's hands, two were stupid mental errors that had nothing to do with his passing ability (incl getting picked trying to ground the ball), and one was just a bad read/throw at the end of the bowl game when he was obviously trying to do way too much. I watched the bowl game highlights again, and despite the three picks, Mendoza had some extremely accurate completions. Not trying to minimize the turnovers - just adding context.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings