Need help with a current student perspective.
1,875 Views | 18 Replies
AUOso
5:49p, 4/28/24
Some of you might be familiar with my post about my daughter visiting for Cal day and her decision making process between Cal & UVA.

I desperately need some student voices about their current experiences @ cal. My daughter is completely conflicted and wants more perspective on what the current cal undergrad experience is.

She is a student filmmaker and is thinking of film/media as a path but isn't certain yet, so those that know first or second years that haven't decided yet

Here is a link to one of her best films

We went to the admitted students day in NYC but there were precious few kids at that event (only about 200 students were admitted from the NY/NJ/CT area) and she is having difficulty connecting with peers that are considering Cal.

Help!

Thanks
bear2034
6:33p, 4/28/24
In reply to AUOso
Have you guys visited Charlottsville before? It's a totally different campus town vibe, especially during the winter months. I drove through the town in December when it was blanketed with snow, it's a beautiful area but I'm not sure if that's something I would prefer for an extended period of time.
calumnus
10:05p, 4/28/24
If her interest is (documentary) filmmaking, isn't Cal far and away the best choice? Does Virginia even have a program?
juarezbear
10:26p, 4/28/24
In reply to AUOso
AUOso said:

Some of you might be familiar with my post about my daughter visiting for Cal day and her decision making process between Cal & UVA.

I desperately need some student voices about their current experiences @ cal. My daughter is completely conflicted and wants more perspective on what the current cal undergrad experience is.

She is a student filmmaker and is thinking of film/media as a path but isn't certain yet, so those that know first or second years that haven't decided yet

We went to the admitted students day in NYC but there were precious few kids at that event (only about 200 students were admitted from the NY/NJ/CT area) and she is having difficulty connecting with peers that are considering Cal.

Help!

Thanks

I was an early Film major at Cal and am a current studio exec. I taught grad school at SC for 21 years and an happy to discuss all with her. DM me if you want to reach out.
eastcoastcal
11:13p, 4/28/24
Am a current student at Cal. PM me.
Cal88
7:05p, 4/29/24
In reply to AUOso
AUOso said:

Help!

Thanks

Nice work by Miss AUOso!

Since she is from the east coast, does she have classmates that are also going to UVA? Or perhaps she is more comfortable with the vibe there, that atmosphere being closer to what she has had in her prep school?

What was it about the 200 Cal NYC prospects that turned her off?
Cal88
7:18p, 4/29/24
In reply to bear2034
bear2034 said:

Have you guys visited Charlottsville before? It's a totally different campus town vibe, especially during the winter months. I drove through the town in December when it was blanketed with snow, it's a beautiful area but I'm not sure if that's something I would prefer for an extended period of time.

That area, the Midatlantic, has the best climate east of the Rockies, with 4 seasons and a winter short enough to make you appreciate the 30-40 days of snow.

The supercold period, shown here in blue, is relatively short, VA is not upstate NY or VT, and the peak hot and muggy season is in the Summer break.

https://weatherspark.com/y/19617/Average-Weather-in-Lynchburg-Virginia-United-States-Year-Round#Figures-ColorTemperature

https://weatherspark.com/y/19617/Average-Weather-in-Lynchburg-Virginia-United-States-Year-Round#Figures-Temperature

OceanBeachBear
7:50p, 4/29/24
In reply to AUOso
Just graduated two years back, I'm also from the NY area, feel free to DM me
SBGold
10:48p, 4/29/24
In reply to calumnus
calumnus said:

If her interest is (documentary) filmmaking, isn't Cal far and away the best choice? Does Virginia even have a program?
I went to UVA law and I don't ever recall UVA highlighting their film program
SBGold
10:48p, 4/29/24
In reply to bear2034
bear2034 said:

It doesn't snow very often, I went to law school there
AUOso
6:19a, 4/30/24
In reply to SBGold
SBGold said:

calumnus said:

They do have a media studies program although she isn't sure she wants to pursue it. She understands what she would be giving up if she went to UVA. She is freaked out about switching majors or getting into the major of her choice at cal as some are competitive.
Rushinbear
6:50a, 4/30/24
In reply to AUOso
AUOso said:

SBGold said:

calumnus said:

They do have a media studies program although she isn't sure she wants to pursue it. She understands what she would be giving up if she went to UVA. She is freaked out about switching majors or getting into the major of her choice at cal as some are competitive.

Perspective. My daughter was horse crazy starting at 6. By 10, she spent more time in the stables than at home. We bought her the best horse we could afford and she won everything in sight. We visited UVA to see if there was a suitable horse operation nearby where she could have her horse, compete and study too. Lovely place, dripping with history. She decided to go full time horse, rather than college. She rode other peoples' horses in competition and was successful. After 6 years of that, she called one night and said she was done with it and wanted to be a teacher. So, BA, MA and 20 years later, she is state teacher of the year and very happy.

Kids find their way sooner or later. It doesn't have to work out perfectly the first time out, but if they allow themselves to learn from it, they'll be fine. Maybe it's just time to hold her hand and say, "It's time for you to decide."

smh
8:25a, 4/30/24
In reply to Rushinbear
> BA, MA and 20 years later, she is state teacher of the year and very happy.

major congrats to your daughter and her parents.
Rushinbear
9:47a, 4/30/24
In reply to smh
smh said:

> BA, MA and 20 years later, she is state teacher of the year and very happy.

major congrats to your daughter and her parents.

Thank you. She made an agonizing time for her parents into a relief that she had made her way.
SBGold
9:52a, 4/30/24
In reply to AUOso
AUOso said:

SBGold said:

calumnus said:

I went to both and both are great. Cannot go wrong with either.

I do prefer Cal but it likely is a more intense undergrad experience. Whether that is right for her is something that you all need to decide.
BearBoarBlarney
4:02p, 5/14/24
Well, what was the decision?
AUOso
9:22p, 5/16/24
Its been an eventful couple of days.

Many thanks to:

Juarez Bear & eastcoastbear for speaking with her.

Much hemming and hawing, tears shed, ruminations on the path not taken.

In the end:

Its a great day to be a golden bear!

Cal Class of 2028

Go Bears!
82gradDLSdad
3:48a, 5/17/24
In reply to Rushinbear
Rushinbear said:

AUOso said:

SBGold said:

calumnus said:

Perspective. My daughter was horse crazy starting at 6. By 10, she spent more time in the stables than at home. We bought her the best horse we could afford and she won everything in sight. We visited UVA to see if there was a suitable horse operation nearby where she could have her horse, compete and study too. Lovely place, dripping with history. She decided to go full time horse, rather than college. She rode other peoples' horses in competition and was successful. After 6 years of that, she called one night and said she was done with it and wanted to be a teacher. So, BA, MA and 20 years later, she is state teacher of the year and very happy.

Kids find their way sooner or later. It doesn't have to work out perfectly the first time out, but if they allow themselves to learn from it, they'll be fine. Maybe it's just time to hold her hand and say, "It's time for you to decide."

Couldn't agree more. I always have to bite my tongue talking to parents that are trying hard to mold their children. I took one computer science class at Cal: Intro to Fortran. Absolutely hated it, thought it was the dumbest, most useless skill in the world...standing in lines to punch cards, run cards through a card reader, wait for a printout that then told you one of the errors in your card deck and repeat the process just to get your printout to finally say, "Hello world". Never gave computer science another thought.

Signed, 30 year computer analyst/automation programmer who absolutely loved everything about it.

BTW, 1982 BA in Philosophy :-)
concordtom
8:26p, 5/19/24
In reply to AUOso
Congratulations on reaching a decision.
Remind me again where she grew up, roughly?
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings