Rich Lyons. Chancellor
18,047 Views | 175 Replies
socaliganbear
10:13a, 4/10/24
Great win.
Econ141
10:15a, 4/10/24

Does he understand the importance of football?
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
hoop97
10:19a, 4/10/24
This is HUGE!
Hawaii Haas
10:30a, 4/10/24
I approve!
GoCal80
10:30a, 4/10/24
Richard K. Lyons, former dean of the Haas School of Business and current associate vice chancellor and chief innovation and entrepreneurship officer, has been selected to become UC Berkeley's next chancellor. Rich will assume his new role on July 1, 2024, when current Chancellor Carol T. Christ retires.
University of California President Michael V. Drake, announced his selection, and the UC Board of Regents approved the appointment during a special meeting held today at UCLA. The appointment follows an extensive national search that engaged various campus stakeholders, including representatives of students, faculty, staff, alumni and Regents.
Rich first arrived on the Berkeley campus as an undergraduate, earning his bachelor's degree in business and finance in 1982. He went on to earn his Ph.D. in economics from MIT in 1987. After six years teaching at Columbia Business School, Rich returned to Berkeley to join the faculty as a professor of economics and finance in 1993.
In 2006, Rich became the chief learning officer at Goldman Sachs a period of time that he has said instilled in him an appreciation for leadership and the importance of organizational culture.
Rich returned to Berkeley in 2008 to serve as dean of the Haas School of Business. During his tenure as dean, Rich oversaw the construction of Connie & Kevin Chou Hall, a state-of-the-art academic building that opened in 2017 and helped establish two new degree programs, linking Berkeley Haas with both the College of Engineering and the Department of Molecular and Cell Biology.
While leading Haas, Rich is perhaps most well-known for his creation of four distinct defining leadership principles that spurred a sweeping culture initiative at the school that stands out in the minds of many. Those values question the status quo, confidence without attitude, students always, and beyond yourself became a creed of sorts for new students and alumni alike.
In January 2020, Rich became Berkeley's first-ever chief innovation and entrepreneurship officer. In that role, Rich has worked to expand and champion Berkeley's rich portfolio of innovation and entrepreneurship activities for the benefit of students, faculty, staff, startups and external partners, including helping launch the Berkeley Changemaker program in 2020.
The campuswide program with some 30 courses helps undergraduates to see innovation and entrepreneurship in action. Berkeley Changemaker started as an idea and its courses have quickly become among the most popular academic offerings on campus.

To learn more about Rich and his appointment as chancellor, read the announcement from President Drake and the full story on Berkeley News.
ducky23
10:38a, 4/10/24
Econ141
10:42a, 4/10/24
In reply to ducky23
ducky23 said:

What if Knowlton is still employed by Cal at the end of the year? Does the optimism end? How soon do people expect the new man in charge to rid of us of the current incompetent AD and his cronies?
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
Golden One
10:48a, 4/10/24
Wonderful. Sounds like a other chancellor who cares little about football, with Columbia and MIT years in his background. More years of mediocrity in our future.
BearBoarBlarney
10:54a, 4/10/24
Curious what the general consensus is on Richard Lyons. I like his age, that's for sure, as he just turned 63, meaning he should be able to stay at the helm for 5-7 years depending on how badly the Faculty Senate and the COB beat him down.

Hoping that a Cal undergrad from the class of 1982 found Cal's intercollegiate athletics program to be a valuable part of the student experience in Berkeley. I have hope that he understands that football and hoops help keep alums connected to the university.
sosheezy
10:54a, 4/10/24
In reply to Golden One
Golden One said:

Wonderful. Sounds like a other chancellor who cares little about football, with Columbia and MIT years in his background. More years of mediocrity in our future.
Nothing could be more opposite (unless missing sarcasm?). Of the candidates, by far the most athletics-friendly choice.
sosheezy
10:57a, 4/10/24
In reply to Econ141
Econ141 said:

ducky23 said:

What if Knowlton is still employed by Cal at the end of the year? Does the optimism end? How soon do people expect the new man in charge to rid of us of the current incompetent AD and his cronies?
Knowlton's firing likely depends on his buyout (or Cal's donor community ability to raise buyout funds). It puts him on absolute notice however.
Sebastabear
11:03a, 4/10/24
In reply to sosheezy
sosheezy said:

Golden One said:

Nothing could be more opposite (unless missing sarcasm?). Of the candidates, by far the most athletics-friendly choice.
Has to be sarcasm. This is the biggest win for Cal football in decades. He ended his press conference talking about The Play for God sake. He was at the game itself. In a sea of bad to mediocre (for Can sports) possibilities we found a 24 carat blue and gold diamond.
Klindergoff
11:05a, 4/10/24
In reply to Sebastabear
Sebastabear said:

sosheezy said:

Golden One said:

Has to be sarcasm. This is the biggest win for Cal football in decades. He ended his press conference talking about The Play for God sake. He was at the game itself. In a sea of bad to mediocre (for Can sports) possibilities we found a 24 carat blue and gold diamond.
The greatest closing statement in the history of closing statements is at 19:03 of the video, which is directly linked here:

https://www.youtube.com/live/ubUSdgEeC5M?si=RRTR07CLynm6ebWl&t=1143
CalBearinLA
11:07a, 4/10/24
In reply to Golden One
Golden One said:

Oakbear
11:19a, 4/10/24
while I applaud the choice, I keep thinking of Kapp as coach and that dulls my delight

i.e. just cuz they bleed blue and gold does not mean football will become all that
socaliganbear
11:22a, 4/10/24
In reply to Oakbear
Oakbear said:

while I applaud the choice, I keep thinking of Kapp as coach and that dulls my delight

i.e. just cuz they bleed blue and gold does not mean football will become all that

He was a wildly successful Dean. This isn't a blue & gold promotion.
LessMilesMoreTedford
11:27a, 4/10/24
In reply to Oakbear
Oakbear said:

He is one of the most successful fundraisers in UC Berkeley history. The new Haas Business School rebuild is entirely due to his gifts efforts.

This is an A+ hire not just for Cal but for UC Berkeley as well.
trueblue22
11:27a, 4/10/24
I could have easily imagined this hire going wrong 100 different ways. Happy to see for once we didn't step on any obvious landmines.
socaltownie
11:50a, 4/10/24
Absolutely a very positive hire.
Eastern Oregon Bear
12:02p, 4/10/24
I can't believe the knee jerk negativism of a few people who obviously knew nothing about our new Chancellor or the other candidates. This is a home run choice.
sonofabear51
12:06p, 4/10/24
Hooray!!! Hope springs for real!!
Start Slowly and taper off
CalBearinLA
12:15p, 4/10/24
In reply to Eastern Oregon Bear
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

I can't believe the knee jerk negativism of a few people who obviously knew nothing about our new Chancellor or the other candidates. This is a home run choice.
probably a mix of both. wait til they hear who the other options were and how bad it may have been for athletics
Sebastabear
12:27p, 4/10/24
In reply to Eastern Oregon Bear

Again a lot of this has to be sarcasm. The post calling him "an MIT guy" for example. Hello? This is the first leader of Cal in almost 100 years who was a Cal undergrad. You have to go back to Bob Sproul. He is and always has been an unabashed advocate of the athletic department.

For the record, Rich Lyons was THE choice of every major Cal sports booster that I know of. He loves Cal sports and, more importantly, knows how to fundraise and get things done. He was also the choice of every person who wants to see Cal start to be run like a business (with a focus on return on investment) rather than an ivory tower think tank.

Absolutely home run hire.
Oakbear
12:38p, 4/10/24
"He was a wildly successful Dean. This isn't a blue & gold promotion."

yes, but we are San Francisco Area Cal-Berkeley LOL
Rushinbear
12:39p, 4/10/24
He comes across as a genuine person with understanding and enthusiasm for Cal and what can be done, especially if we step outside of our traditional thinking and doing. And, if anyone didn't see the emotion he projected in talking about The Play and his experience of it, you're deaf and blind.

I think that this guy will be different from all others in the best way. There was no intellectual snobbery there. He's gonna look straight at Cal and lead from our strengths. Notice that he didn't rip on Harvard/MIT for its theft of the CRISPR inventions. Just that they were founded at Cal and the world knows it. Fasten your seat belts.
boredom
12:41p, 4/10/24
In reply to Sebastabear
Sebastabear said:

Again a lot of this has to be sarcasm. The post calling him "an MIT guy" for example. Hello? This is the first leader of Cal in almost 100 years who was a Cal undergrad. You have to go back to Bob Sproul. He is and always has been an unabashed advocate of the athletic department.

For the record, Rich Lyons was THE choice of every major Cal sports booster that I know of. He loves Cal sports and, more importantly, knows how to fundraise and get things done. He was also the choice of every person who wants to see Cal start to be run like a business (with a focus on return on investment) rather than an ivory tower think tank.

for those of us who know nothing about the guy and little about what the chancellor does in regards to sports aside from hire the AD, why was he THE choice? What kinds of changes do you expect him to make that you expect will help Cal sports thrive and ensure he's not the last chancellor to oversee major college athletics here?
wifeisafurd
12:54p, 4/10/24
In reply to boredom
boredom said:

Sebastabear said:

for those of us who know nothing about the guy and little about what the chancellor does in regards to sports aside from hire the AD, why was he THE choice? What kinds of changes do you expect him to make that you expect will help Cal sports thrive and ensure he's not the last chancellor to oversee major college athletics here?
The other final candidate thought football was soccer. I think it is time for people to educate themselves and move forward. Good leadership should lead to good results.

While schools employ a myriad of administrators to manage their athletic departments, at the end of the day, only one person on campus takes full responsibility for the athletics program, and not the athletic director as some might presume, but rather the university president. The Chancellor typically these days has major input into football and basketball head choices hires and selects ADs. Their input can be intelligent or not. College presidents are being hired more and more with a business skill-set or competency to manage many different areas, particularly enterprise functions such as space campuses, medical centers or athletics), and Rich Lyons fits that mold.

I will leave you with this quote from a well known school leader:

Athletics is critical to the overall education mission, and even though it makes up a small part of the overall university budget, it heightens our visibility and creates a common language among varying constituencies around campus. I would never micromanage my other department heads, but in the end I'm vicariously liable for their decisions and so it is in my best interest to be as involved as I can. Competing at the highest levels is critical, whether that be at academics or athletics.

Hawaii Haas
12:55p, 4/10/24
In reply to boredom
boredom said:

Sebastabear said:

For one, I think he was around when Haas created their four defining principles. It's likely he will have these in mind as Chancellor:

- question the status quo
- go beyond yourself
- student always
- confidence without attitude

Now think of this in the context of what you know about UC Berkeley. If he is given the power, he could improve things a lot.

I think a business school Dean understands the business of education. And that could mean prioritizing athletics, alumni connection, professional schools.
philly1121
1:00p, 4/10/24
In reply to boredom
boredom said:

Sebastabear said:

This ^. Its great that he's a Cal undergrad. Its great he attended the 82 Big Game. But was Carol Christ the consensus pick back when she was chosen in 2017? Dirks? Do we know that his fundraising efforts for academic and bricks and mortar projects will translate to fundraising for athletics? I'm not throwing him under the bus, I'm just curious as to how he is now THE ONE as opposed to years past.
KenBurnski
1:15p, 4/10/24
"how do we know he's really the guy?" = "has cal legends considered rolling out a monthly subscription option?!"
bearister
1:16p, 4/10/24
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bear2034
2:33p, 4/10/24
In reply to KenBurnski
KenBurnski said:

"how do we know he's really the guy?"
We'll know when donations come in denominated in Bitcoin.
Johnfox
2:47p, 4/10/24
A Cal grad. A big time Cal Football Fan. A loved person at Cal!

What better higher is there than Rich Lyons!!
Econ141
2:56p, 4/10/24
In reply to Sebastabear
Sebastabear said:

It warms my heart to read this. Nothing more that I want (now that I am 25+ years into my career) than to watch our football team be relevant in the national landscape. This is the first step towards maintaining relevancy - now we just need the AD and a lot of wins on the field.
Give to Cal Legends!

calumnus
2:58p, 4/10/24
In reply to boredom
boredom said:

Sebastabear said:

He is a Cal alum and Cal football fan. He sat in the great Cal student section in the early 80s, he was in the student section during the Play. He is one of us. The first Cal alum chancellor since the 1930s.

This is fantastic news!
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 6
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off